Thinking Of Buying A Dreambox

pjmorce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows 7
My Location
France
Hello,

I have a dish with 3 LNBs pointing to Astra 2D, Astra 1H and Hotbird. I have another dish pointing to Hispasat (Zon channels - I am a ZON client - all channels except sports and adult channels).
All the 4 LNbs are linked with a disecq to a unique cable.
I want to buy a satelite receiver so I can whatch every channels from Astra 2D, Astra 1H and Hotbird (ex. Digital +, Freesat, BIS, Canal Sat) and the sports channels of Zon.
For that, I am thinking on buying a dreambox (a cheap one just for testing, and after I will buy another better one with HD). Maybe the dreambox 500s can be a solution because it is not expensive.
However, I dont know what to do. I already read several articles and I dont think that buying the dreambox will be enought.
Can anyone help me and give me sone guidelines?
thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Astra 2D was replaced by Astra 1N last year!

If we were to know why you felt that a Dreambox might help your goals, that might help with us giving further advice.

Of the services mentioned, Freesat is, well, Free; The others are Encrypted - so do you have Subscriptions to those services or are you proposing to arrange that once you've ascertained the best hardware to use?

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I'd also look at the VU+ range. I have a VU+ Solo receiving channels from 16 LNB's into one cable quite happily. It also clears my HD+ card without a problem too. Your problem (I think) would be enabling all your subs using just one receiver.

pjmorce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows 7
My Location
France
Thanky for your answer.

I am thinking on a dreambox because, so far, it is the receiver most talked in the articles I read. Any other suggestion is welcome!

Yes, I know that freesat is free. I already have it with a own receiver. I actually have a receiver for freesat and another for ZON.

I want to have only one receiver for both. And I would like to receive Sportv channels of Zon for free. As far as I understood, with a dreambox I am able to do that using cardsharing... but dont know how to do it...

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Sadly, I need to refer you to our Forum Rules before we extend this debate: Paid-for Card Sharing is a taboo topic on this Forum as it it a technique which not only seeks to defraud Pay TV Providers of their legitimate Revenue, but has also damaged what is left of an interesting hobby for the rest of us.

Happy to give advice about hardware etc. but absolutely not in respect of C/S.

smoggy07

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky minidish and Sky + HD 250gig Anytime+ box with full ish appart from sports and movies, Dreambox DM500s clone (Pli Jade3 max var F/W), Motorised 1.1Meter Dish
My Location
middlesbrough, teesside, northeast coast, uk
sonnetpete said:
Your problem (I think) would be enabling all your subs using just one receiver.

I think as the OP states "I am a ZON client - all channels except sports and adult channels" and then later says they would like to open the ZON sports, they maybe wanting info on CS.

If the OP does have various legit sub cards then there is nothing stopping them from buying a card reader for each card and hosting a server on their PC to serve the cards locally to their box, this is a bit much in all fairness but is proberbly the only way to open several cards on one box

pjmorce

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Windows 7
My Location
France
Ok. Thanks for your answer.

Forget the CS subject. I will reformulate my doubt.

Actually, I already have the ZON box, but since I only have one I just can watch TV on the living room. If I buy a dreambox and put it on my bedroom, since I am already a ZON client, how can i watch ZON channels there?

rory1972

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500 s
pointed 28.2 e
My Location
n.ireland
if your looking for a box just for testing ,,,then the dm 500s is a good choice,, easy setup and user freindly not like some of the other cheap boxes,,and as for closed source boxes stay clear... one down side is no high def....

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
rory1972 said:
if your looking for a box just for testing ,,,then the dm 500s is a good choice,, easy setup and user freindly not like some of the other cheap boxes,,and as for closed source boxes stay clear... one down side is no high def....

Nothing wrong with my Skybox F3 ...... that's closed source. And HD.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Zon might be a problem on the Dreambox (or anywhere outside its own receiver) as cards are paired and you need to extract boxkeys to use the cards elsewhere.

A nonymous

Reaction score
As captain has already stated you cannot use Zon card in another receiver unless you can extract the boxkey and RSAKey from the receiver the card is paired to. Zon uses Nagra3 which is paired to the receiver. extracting the boxkey from one of Meo's receivers is not something the hobbyist can do.

Do not be tempted to send your receiver away to get the boxkey as the last guy advertising this service ended up running off with the clients money and didn't even collect the receiver from the post office. They were returned to the owner a few weeks later by the local post office.

If you want a cheap HD box that you can play with then go for something like a Gigablue, Maxview or Vu+ Solo. Prices start from as little as £99 for the likes of the Maxview upto around £200 for the more top end receivers in the budget ranges.

If you don't want to mess and just want to watch TV then something like a Ferguson Ariva or an Eaglebox will do you fine. Watch out for Dreambox DM500 units as they are mostly clones now as DM stopped making them years ago. You can also get clone Openbox/skybox units so make sure you buy from a known trusted seller.

Nano