"This Island Earth", Film 4, 3pm, today! 5/8/06

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I love this film. Made in the the 1950s, it's totally camp, and wonderful, plus the chick, Faith Domergue who plays Dr Ruth Adams, is really sexy in her '50s' clothes, hair, and make-up. Yummy!

Err!!:-doh! Back to the film...

This intelligent slice of 1950s sci-fi - two and a half years in the making proclaimed the poster proudly - ranks among the best and most cleverly conceived of the genre. Really it's a film of two parts.

A talky earthbound section finds brainy boffins being recruited, nay shanghaied, by the marvellously otherworldly Jeff Morrow to save his distant homeland from destruction by interplanetary warfare.

That's followed by a full-blooded space opera featuring astounding surrealistic landscapes on the planet Metaluna and fearsome insect-like mutations with huge bulbous craniums. It's hokey at times, but its message is clear: the more advanced the technology, the greater the scope for destruction.

Watch it.:D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I'm sure my extensive publicity campaign raised the viewing figures for this, probably by 2 people, maybe even 3!

Yes. agreed, 1950s womens' underwear, surely they used antigravity?

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
Three? No, let's go for four! ;) Anyway, I can't help it if I have a fetish for women dressed in '50s' clothes, make up, and high heels.

It's a fetish...it's my fetish! :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Hmmm .......

Before the 1940's/50s, and the mysterious "womens' foundation garments" - we men all get a bit lost here - I believe it was a matter of "infinite petticoats", going back to Victorian days (when even table legs had petticoats on) .....

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Spiney, who invented women's transparent stockings, to show ladies' legs off. :D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Don't know.

Silk has been around several thousand years (as have ladies' legs).

Nylon was invented in 1930s, by Carothers at Du Pont, 1st nylon stockings came out around 1940.

Yes, you've guessed right, Wiki has an article about stockings! Just type "stockings wiki" into google.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
I am going off the top of my head, but I would guess women's legs weren't a sexual asset until dress lengths rose around 1918...

Until then then Victorian garb went down to the ankle. As skirt lengths rose, legs became sexually attractive, and thus nylons were used to enhance the legs, along with high heels. Then fish-nets were born and with that, the introduction of the word "kinky". :D

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Er, dunno .....

You'd need to look at historical costumes, maybe theatre references .....

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
I will do. :) By the way, was I getting a bit pervy there, m8? ;)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Saturlight said:
I will do. :) By the way, was I getting a bit pervy there, m8? ;)

Nah, pervy starts when you put some extra shine on the shoes to look up Victorian skirts

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Didn't they use special periscopes, disguised as umbrellas?