Thomson LNB question.

Mile-muncher

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Maplins
My Location
Manchester
Hello everyone.

Have searched everywhere on the forums for an answer but not found anything specific, so will have to post a question.

Firstly we have a Maplin suitcase package that we take in our campervan and have great fun with - never actually watch a programme - we just experiment with it to see what there is out there.

I've managed to scrounge an oval sky dish off a neighbour so that I can use the receiver at home too. However while it will pick up astra28' it wont pick up hotbird or astra19'

If I then swap to the camping dish in the same location then the others can be located in a minute or so. This proves to me that there is an issue with the lnb/dish.

So in summary, is the standard lnb/dish only usuable on astra 28' ?? Or am I doing something else wrong ?

Thanks in advance.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
The standard LNB on a minidish can be used on other satellites, remember to raise the dish a touch when going from Astra 2 to Astra 1 or Hotbird... :)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Mile-muncher said:
So in summary, is the standard lnb/dish only usuable on astra 28' ?? Or am I doing something else wrong ?
Thanks in advance.

The skew on a Sky dish is normally fixed, as it is normally used for a single satellite at 28 deg East the skew is different depending on which satellite you are wanting to receive. Also remember as 2CVbloke says the satellites are on the Clarke Curve and if you could see them they would appear in an arc from East horizon to the western horizon so you would have to alter the elevation for a satellite nearer your due south satellite

Mile-muncher

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Maplins
My Location
Manchester
Thanks for that info, it makes sense. I will have to have a fiddle around on the roof again.

The small camping dish seems to be more forgiving at setting up.

Soon I may get a motorised dish setup for the house as I am getting fed up of kneeling on the tiles and will probably fall off.