Titanium lnb and amalgamating tape.

scuba pete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky, Dreambox DM7025, Triax 1.1, Echostar AD-3000IP
My Location
Glasgow
The lnb's I have have a plug down plastic part that covers the connections. I would still put tape on them, but I wondered is this really necessary?

Thanks.

Pete

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
i just put tape on the bottom part of the f connector if any is showing after the cover is pulled down

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
me myself ide put amalgamating tape on all the fplug as condensation will form and run down the coax

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I have left it with just the cover, the same as I have done with my DiSEqC switch (it has a cover too) , lets see how long it lasts:-rofl2

Hakon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My setup
Laminas180cm P.M 60e-30w
24" SuperJack,Clark-Tech V-Box
Laminas120cm CM P.M 75e-30w
18" Superjack, Clark-Tech V-Box
Gibertini XP premium 100cm
Polar Mount, 12" Superjack
75e-30w
2 x Vu+ Duo
My Location
Sweden south
No no no ,you shall always use Self-Amalgamating Tape .Do not skip this very important work.The tape shall always cover the complete F-connector and up on the thread on the LNB.Start from coaxcable and finish on LNB.And dont do this when its raining,try to do it inside house when everything is clean and dry.

I have had LNB on dish for 4-5 years that has been correctly done,when i replaced them it was like brand new under the tape .

Rochester

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Basic Sky Satellite.
My Location
North UK
Self-amalgamating tape:
comes in at £2.10 + VAT for a 19mm x 10meter roll, or £1.90 if you buy three rolls, carriage excluded. A little cheaper than Maplin's £6.99 each.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I've removed many connectors from LNBs which have had no tape around at all and only in a very small minority has there been any sign of water ingress, the screw thread being in the majority of cases, like brand new after removal of the connector.

If you are using good quality crimp connectors, then as long as they are tightened properly, a pull down cover will afford all of the protection required, snap'n'Seal even better, with screw on connectors, put some amalgamating tape on the bottom just to be on the safe side, but even if you don't, it is unlikely that your cable is going to fill with water. ;)

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Water is like a Tax man

It will always find a way:) and tape is rather cheap so I wouldn´t miss it.

As Rolfw just wrote, if it is well done from the beginning it will work for years but still, some tape for a £ is OK if U ask me :)

scuba pete

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky, Dreambox DM7025, Triax 1.1, Echostar AD-3000IP
My Location
Glasgow
I ended up putting tape on them. 4 lnbs, 2 connectors into each. They then went into 2 4x switches, which I taped as well. Not to mention the motor connections etc. I also put all the plugs on too. Took ages, lol.

My install is going well. I am just running on one lnb just now, the one most in the centre. I have the arc pretty well. I had alot of bother with Usals so I switched over and I am getting much better results, even if longer setup. I have 10 sats and counting just now. When the weather gets better I am going to check my alignment and get the other lnbs working. After I have figure out the options in the tuner config that is.

I am having alot of fun though :)

Pete