My Satellite Setup
Hotbird3
Atlantic Bird 3
TM5300D USB
TM3300 2CI
BIS card
My Location
Cardiff
It goes against the grain rather to post a message praising a box - we usually discuss problems rather than give free advertising. But this is a bit different...

I use a 60 cm dish pointed at AB3, with two LNBs. Up to now I've used a TM5300 to record the French FTA programmes to USB, and a TM5400 to record 20 or so encrypted channels you get with the BIS package and their Viaccess card.

I use VideoRedoPlus to convert the .TS files to .mpg, and DivXAuthor to convert to .divx for storing

The problem has always been that while the FTA channels always recorded perfectly, the encrypted channels often didn't. Fast movement across the screen, or camera pans, and the resultant mpgs were badly pixelated, and would not convert to divx. I never found out why this was.

The other problem was that the menu selections while recording were very limited - you couldn't use the EPG to see what was playing even on the same transponder

The 7100 has made all the difference in the world. The two satellite tuners (I don't use the terrestrial) will allow recording of any two programs, and a third if the transponder is available. Even more important, the EPG works whiloe recording, you can zap through the channels, and the logic of the menu system is impeccable.

Lest you should think I work for Technomate, let me say what seriously needs to be rethought with this box

There are two USB ports and a 500 Gbyte hard drive which is easily removable without opening up the main box. Unfortunately, you have to select one default drive, and you can't copy from hard drive to USB

This means that the 8Gbyte USBs I use risk filling up in one evening if I record two long films.

The hard drive, once extracted, can be connected by E-SAT to a computer, but not easily. Power needs to be provided, and the idea of constantly plugging and unplugging the fragile data and power connections doesn't appeal

My solution was to put the 500Gbyte drive into a powered drive cabinet with a USB port. The 7100 picks up the drive fine, and I can port the data to my PC. But the drive cabinet set me back another 40 quid...

Apart from that, though, this is a seriously nice piece of equipment

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Useful review, thankyou.

Probably best shifted to a more relevant Forum ............ I'll have a gander round and find one.

Edit: This one looks fine!

harhosk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tecnomate 6900 super
TM-100 d
Titanium quad lnb
Fixed dish
Windows PC
My Location
SW France
I, too am very pleased with my TM7100.

But I don't understand the OP's recording problem. Why not just record films on the internal drive that came with it? You can get a lot of films into 500gb. If you want to backup or move files, why not plug a usb hard drive (cost, less than £50) into the front socket? That's what I do with mine. I can copy files from one drive to the other easily, add other media sich as mp3 jpeg, and so on. It's easy.