Top Gear Makes Episodes Available on Facebook

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
Top Gear, the British car and driving show that boasts over 350 million viewers across 100 countries, is now available on Facebook! BBC Worldwide together with Softwind Studio developed and launched an app that will let users use Facebook Credits in order to rent clips.

Making this video-on-demand app for Facebook, users of the social network that reside in Australia, Canada, Europe, New Zealand, and the US, can now rent a limited number of Top Gear episodes for 15 Facebook Credits per episode, about 93p. Users simply have to 'Like' Top Gear's Facebook page and choose the option that lets them use Facebook Credits to access the videos. Once rented, episodes will be made available to the user for 48 hours. The initial episodes being offered are Polar Express, US Road Trip, and Vietnam Road Trip.

Adam Waddell, Top Gear's managing director said: “Top Gear has amassed a huge following on Facebook with almost 14 million friends following the brand itself and the Stig. We're always looking at ways of adding value for the core fans of the show so it's entirely appropriate that we should be one of the first TV shows to make its premium content available via Facebook.”

London based social media studio, Softwind Studio, which specializes in creation interactive social apps, is proud of their hand in making Top Gear available on Facebook. CEO and founder, Francis Rodino gave a statement saying “Softwind Studio is one of the first studios to develop on the Facebook credits platform, opening up new revenue streams for brands by providing new ways of monetising video content while driving traffic, fan acquisition and brand awareness through content sharing. We are very excited to be working with the Top Gear brand which has such a loyal and enthusiastic following, fully utilising the power and revenue opportunities of the social web to return investment on social media.”

Having Top Gear episodes available on Facebook is not a first for BBC Worldwide. Last month, they struck a similar deal for classic episodes of Doctor Who. What will be interesting to see is whether the launch of BBC's Global iPlayer, launched just last month, will affect Facebook views or if Facebook viewing will affect iPlayer.

BBC Worldwide isn't the only one working with the social networking giant. Just last week, Budweiser made the Ascot United and Wembley FC game available on Facebook, and this past Monday, Miramax launched a movie streaming service where users can rent movies for 30 Facebook Credits each.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
93p a show? The BBC can eliminate the TV license if they get that for every programme... :-rofl2

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I thought every elisode was already being played on Dave/Ja vu ?