Top Up TV chooses Mediaguard

N

net1

Top Up TV has chosen Mediaguard, Nagra France's conditional access system, to equip all of its set top boxes. Top Up TV, a new service expected to launch in March, will offer ten of the best UK TV channels for a no-ties month-to-month subscription of just £7.99, (E11.5) plus a one-off £20 connection fee.

Top Up TV's channel line-up includes UK Gold, E4, Cartoon Network, Discovery, UK Style, UK Food, Bloomberg, Boomerang, Discovery Home and Leisure and Turner Classic Movies plus the option of the adult service Television X Channel, which will be available as an additional service. Top Up TV will use the former ITV Digital boxes equipped with Mediaguard which are still deployed in UK TV homes. In the coming months, Mediaguard will also be ported on additional set-top boxes allowing access to the Top-Up TV service offering.

Meanwhile, Philippine-based broadcasting network ABS-CBN Global Limited has selected Nagravision's smart card technology for its European operation. With worldwide subscribers numbering close to a million and spanning the Asia Pacific, Middle East and North America, ABS-CBN Global is currently in the process of creating satellite networks across Europe to deliver programming services to the many Filipino expatriates in these areas.

To help achieve this, Nagravision recently integrated its technology in the Europe
operations of ABS-CBN Global, a subsidiary of ABS-CBN Broadcasting Corporation, the largest network in the Philippines with a leading 42 per cent market share. "ABS-CBN has established continued growth, not only in our home market but globally, with ABS-CBN Global's The Filipino Channel Direct! (TFCDirect!), the flagship product of the network's business plan," says Victor Zaragoza, the multi-national company's Technical Services Director.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Could they have used anything else ?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Not without sending out a free CAM with each card anyway...

And they've STILL got a problem with Seca II now having been hacked.

Interesting times ahead.

PaulR

F1 Mike

Reaction score
Yes, aren't all existing boxes only compatable with seca?
They are stating that all owners of ITVDig boxes will be able to view, but would that not mean all channels would also need to be viewable with a seca card?:D

O

overkill

Its been confirmed that topup tv are using SECA2, the software update has updated seca1 to seca2 on the old itv digi boxes that were left on for 2 nights, where did u get the info about mediaguard??!?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Mediaguard is the correct name for the encryption, SECA is/was the name of the company and came into common usage.

barrymcindoe

Reaction score
Hi There, New User So Stick With Me, I Use A Sagem Digi Tv Box, Which Has No
Interface For A Top-up Tv Card, Does That Mean I Will Be Unable To Access The New Channels ?

Thanks In Advance

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
No access to the channels without a Conditional access slot or CAM slot

If the Sagem has 'Freeview' written on the box, its not going to get PPV TV

stormbringer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - so does Seca 2 work with the old Ondig card or will I have to get a better card? I have a couple of Gold Wafers handy, remnants from the good old days. So can anyone point me in the right direction to a good instruction manual on the art of - shall we say - understanding and writing encryption for the masses?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You will need a Titanium card as a minimum and that is only if a hack materializes.

stormbringer

Reaction score
Hi Rolfw - thanks for the info - much appreciated. So will subscribers be getting a new card? It might be worth a one off subscription if I need to get one

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I think they are sending them out now.

turny

Reaction score
Website
msn.co.uk
My Location
tyne and wear
seems to me that tutv may be operating seca2 but never saw the box been updated
as for the software update what they say it seemed to me only a activation of keys on card
put in box channels appeared after 20 secs
put in bush idtv which you couldnt software update if you life depended on it
all ok
strange i expected software update on equipment not just card

MickH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North East
I'm pretty certain that all IDTV's are required by law to have a CAM slot and are all updatable through software. It would be pretty stupid if they weren't!

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
MickH said:
I'm pretty certain that all IDTV's are required by law to have a CAM slot and are all updatable through software.
I'm sure I've read that some early Sony IDTVs sold during the OnDigital era are non-upradeable.

Bet those owners are pretty pi$$ed off about that.

PaulR

MickH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North East
PaulR said:
I'm sure I've read that some early Sony IDTVs sold during the OnDigital era are non-upradeable.

PaulR
That's not a problem if they only want Freeview but a real sickener otherwise. It's unfortunate that you often get stung when you're the first to buy new technology - not least in the pocket.

turny

Reaction score
Website
msn.co.uk
My Location
tyne and wear
mickh,
the bush idtv has had software problems from the beginings of its life,it aint got a cam its got a cas as its basically a hybrid.
a stripped down nokia ond box rammed in the back of a tv at a funny angle, connected to a spare scart on a vestel chassis.
From the beginings of on digital this tv was put into the market place without digital teletext as software was still being developed, with the promise of a over the air upgrade to the box at a later date. By the time bush/alba had got round to this itv digital was sinking fast and some people got it, some didnt, and some wish they hadnt.It now became known that a lot of sets had left the factory with a known fault that would prevent any software upgrades over the air.Bush now were refusing any support due to the demise of itv digital.
The point i was making that if a box update was required bush idtv owners may have been in trouble but looks like its only the card.
Pleased to get that off me chest
turny

MickH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North East
Turny,

The Nokia OND box (Mediamaster 9850T) has embedded mediaguard (the CAS you refer to?) and a separate PCMCIA interface for a CAM.

blasttiod

Reaction score
Hi All, does this mean i can use my old OnD Nokia 9850 T box and if so am i right in thinking that i will have to use a cam as well as a card ! or can i just reprogramme my old white wafer?