Top Up TV Launches CAM to Provide ESPN

Rachel_Sandford

News Hound
Reaction score
UK DTT, Top Up TV, has just announced that it has launched its new conditional access module (CAM) known as the 'Top Up TV CAM.' The credit card sized device, which plugs into your TV, uses Nagravision conditional access in order to deliver specific channels to the viewers. In this case, it's ESPN, Sky Sports 1, and Sky Sports 2. Those with compatible Freeview TVs will also receive the channels without need for a cable, satellite dish, or set top box.

According to Nick Markham, CEO of Top Up TV, customer research has revealed “that Freeview customers love the idea of being able to receive Sky Sports and ESPN without the need to sign a lengthy contract, but they do not always want the clutter of additional hardware. We are very pleased to be able to offer this brand new solution that makes things simple for our customers.”

The service will start this August, just in time for ESPN's coverage of the Newcastle vs. Arsenal game on the 13[SUP]th[/SUP] and Sky's coverage of Chelsea vs. Stoke on the 14[SUP]th[/SUP]. Recent Freeview TV customers can avail of their Top Up TV CAMs for free. The service will have a rolling subscription fee, the cost of which is yet to be revealed.

Distributing Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2 in this manner is part of Ofcom's ruling last December, which asked Sky to make Sky Sports 1 and Sky Sports 2, premium channels already included under the Wholesale Must Offer (WMO) regulations, available via CAM.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
TopUpTV still exists? Now there's a surprise... :eek:

So TopUpTV that used to provide CAMs for access to their services on IDTVs are providing CAMs to access their services on IDTVs? In other words, they're rehashing their old ideas into something they are insisting is a new idea... :confused

We used to have a TUTV CAM, we sold it on cos they pulled their services off DTT in favour of their PVR boxes that record programmes during the night, leaving I think two channels we didn't watch, so we got rid of their "services", cos they were just a ripoff... :rolleyes:

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
2cvbloke said:
TopUpTV still exists? Now there's a surprise... :eek:

So TopUpTV that used to provide CAMs for access to their services on IDTVs are providing CAMs to access their services on IDTVs? In other words, they're rehashing their old ideas into something they are insisting is a new idea... :confused

We used to have a TUTV CAM, we sold it on cos they pulled their services off DTT in favour of their PVR boxes that record programmes during the night, leaving I think two channels we didn't watch, so we got rid of their "services", cos they were just a ripoff... :rolleyes:

As a loyal customer I was given one of their pvr's when they first launched (Arrh Thomson crap!) it was a piece of shit to put it mildly & no existing customers had no choice buy a new box or beat it! Nice C.S. there.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Ghostleader said:
As a loyal customer I was given one of their pvr's when they first launched (Arrh Thomson crap!) it was a piece of shit to put it mildly & no existing customers had no choice buy a new box or beat it! Nice C.S. there.

We didn't even get offered a free box, just told to either like it or lump it, and we decided to lump it and told them to stick their service in their Cam (specifically, an Endoscope Cam) slot... :p

Ghostleader

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm motorised Inverto dish with Dark Motor full metal gears, Xtrend 9500HD, Amiko Alien 2+, Amiko Alien 8900, Moded Zone 2 dish with multi LNB goodness! 50 inch full HD LCD and loads of other stuff! lol
My Location
Glasgow,ish!
2cvbloke said:
We didn't even get offered a free box, just told to either like it or lump it, and we decided to lump it and told them to stick their service in their Cam (specifically, an Endoscope Cam) slot... :p

Nice!:-righton