Toshiba MK1034GAS Hard drive, dead as a dodo...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Well, the circuit board is, I tried my 30GB's board on it and the drive spins up and the heads move, but with it's original board, nothing, not a peep, I've tried touching up some of the iffy-looking solder joints but still nothing, so, what can I do? I can't find ANY other faulty drives (MK1034GAS comes up with only one result on google!!!) and do a board swap, the guy I bought the drive off claimed that it was still in warranty, but it has a HP product code on it so trying to contact Toshiba or HP would probably get me nowhere. So, do I eBay it or do I try to repair it?

I only paid a fiver for it by the way... :D

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
2cvbloke said:
I only paid a fiver for it by the way... :D
Well whilst I am all for DIY and repairing things where they can be repaired economically , even if you found a board the exact same would you really trust storing valuable data on it, for sure I would not..... cut your losses and throw it in the skip.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Topper said:
Well whilst I am all for DIY and repairing things where they can be repaired economically , even if you found a board the exact same would you really trust storing valuable data on it, for sure I would not..... cut your losses and throw it in the skip.

I'll eBay it then... :D

I never throw any valuable computer parts out, that's where other people make the mistake, what's one mans junk is another's treasure... ;)

Would have been nice to have a 100GB laptop hard drive though for making my own Mini-ITX PVR ...:(

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Is that a 100GB laptop drive ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
Is that a 100GB laptop drive ?

Yes, 100GB... :D

And I double checked it, it's a 1031GAS, not 1034... :-ohmy

Either way, I'll eBay it if I can't get a replacement mainboard... :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ah, now if it was the 1034, I could have got you a main board for it ;)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Channel Hopper said:
Ah, now if it was the 1034, I could have got you a main board for it ;)

Ah well, I'm still going to sell it, I need the money pretty badly at the moment cos I've had to stop working again... :(