Transcoding tvheadend streams

A

Anonymous-A

Hi everyone,

I’ve been tinkering with TVHeadend on a raspberry pi for a while and like its simplicity. In my house in London I have an old Pi running tvheadend over wheezy with a cheap Dvb stick serving SD Freeview around the house.

So far so good. I’m back in Ireland and have brought the same pi over to test it out on Saorview. The big issue I have is with the HD channels. Since RTE 1+2 and TG4 are HD only on Saorview I struggle to stream these channels on wifi and would like to transcode the streams to reduce the bandwidth sent out.

Any recommendations on how to do this? I am running a very old version of TVHeadend that doesnt have a transcoding option. Ideally I would like to be able to transcode on the same pi.

ozumo

te wo tsuite
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Raven mk2 zone 2 x4, Channel Master: 90cm x3, 1.2m x2, 1.8m PF. CM polar mount x2, Az/El x3.
My Location
South Durham
So why not try a newer version of TVHeadend with transcoding built in?

pmcdon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ubuntu box with DVB-S" tuners + DVB-T2 x2 USB tuners.
TVHeadend, Kodi, Jellyfin.
My Location
Ireland
No one knows?
A bit late probably. But for anyone else:

Configuration -> Stream (Tab)
Click Add
Ensure "Expert" view level is set.
From the drop list, chose Transcode/avlib
Give the profile a name such as "MyTranscode"
Set the options under the Transcode settings to the settings and codecs you desire. You can experiment. H264/aac could be a good starting point.
The resolution (height) setting is the one which determines resolution. There is no Width given because aspect ratio is locked.
Click Save.

Under Configuration -> Users, chose the user login that you wish the content to be transcoded for. E.g. "Kodi, or create a new user.
Click Edit
Disable all other stream types in the "Streaming" drop menu.
Enable your "MyTranscode" stream.
This will force all output to be transcoded that the user "Kodi" requests.
Make sure the same user is selected in the client side.