Transferring Recordings from PVR to External HDD

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
I have an ancient Logik Freeview SD PVR (looks like a badge engineered Hitachi HDR163), the hard disk of which has been almost completely filled, by my bimbo daughter and her frighteningly sporty boyfriend, with recordings of nauseating romcom, girlie films and World Cup Rugby matches. In the interests of family harmony, I'd like to transfer this stuff to an external hdd or computer. Is there any way this can be done via the RS232 port, or am I faced with forcing them to choose between deletion or real-time backup to a dvd recorder?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Hi Wolsty ...
As far as I know ...No dedicated pvr box made that doesn't have a proprietory format to the hard drive ...and they never allow porting out of digital content..
So no way to back up content other than to output in analogue through the scart ..and record content to another medium ..such as a disc recorder ..or via a video capture card to a pc ..
It _is_ possible however to bit clone the hard drive in its entirity to an image which can then be stored on a pc ...but of course ..is inaccessible in this format ...but can be written back to the same size and type of drive at a later date ..
ie ..can be backed up this way ..but not accessed and content played.
I use this method to produce clean backup ..blank hard drive images of PVRs ..so as to make repairs to customer units ..after the hard drive fails.
Some stbs have facility to replace a failed hard drive ..and reformat ...such as the old dual input sky white fronted pvrs..
Most do not ..such as the JVC range of terrestrial PVRs from the analogue days..
A preformatted 'prepared' drive for these pvrs would cost around £100 (trade) ...whereas a blank drive with a cloned sustituted image written to it ..would cost around £30 ...plus your time and know how ..
How do manufactures sleep at night ??
answer ..
Bloody well ...they have all your hard earned ..after all ..
cest la vie
VS

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
There's a possibilty that the HD might be formatted in Linux (Ext3 I think). If you have a Linux PC it should be easy to check.

If you haven't then there is a program available that allows Windows PCs to read Linux discs called Linux Reader from Diskinternals.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
PaulR said:
There's a possibilty that the HD might be formatted in Linux (Ext3 I think). If you have a Linux PC it should be easy to check.

If you haven't then there is a program available that allows Windows PCs to read Linux discs called Linux Reader from Diskinternals.

Paul makes a good point ..
If the manufacturer chose to use a linux variant o/s ..and format ..rather than a propritory o/s and format...
Then someone with linux expertise ...might well be able to access content directly from the hard drive ..
If you do go down this route ..be careful not to make any changes ...ie write to the drive in any way ..as the chances are it will not boot or play ..once returned to the pvr..
good luck
VS

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
Well, that's as comprehensive as response as anyone could expect. I'll take it as a no and tell my daughter and her boyfriend to copy the programmes to a dvd in real time or delete them. And to do it before the Christmas schedules start.

Don't start me on manufacturers or I might have words to say about both M*cr*s*ft and *ppl*. That's why I use Linux.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
wolsty said:
Well, that's as comprehensive as response as anyone could expect. I'll take it as a no and tell my daughter and her boyfriend to copy the programmes to a dvd in real time or delete them. And to do it before the Christmas schedules start.

Don't start me on manufacturers or I might have words to say about both M*cr*s*ft and *ppl*. That's why I use Linux.

If by some chance you have a format HD option in your boxes menu ...(some stbs perform an auto format ..if a new blank unformatted drive is detected)
You could always ..remove the full drive ...put it away safely ...
And fit a new blank one ...format ...and use ..
The original could be refitted at a later date if they want the stuff thats on it ..
rgds
VS

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Vipersan said:
If by some chance you have a format HD option in your boxes menu ...(some stbs perform an auto format ..if a new blank unformatted drive is detected)
You could always ..remove the full drive ...put it away safely ...
And fit a new blank one ...format ...and use ..
The original could be refitted at a later date if they want the stuff thats on it ..
rgds
VS

Using basically the same method as above ...
You could also ..remove the original drive ...Bit copy(clone) at low level to another drive ..or image as mentioned before..
Create an identical clone drive of the same size ..
Pop the clone into the stb and delete all the stored programmes ..
Thus retaining the disc structure ..but starting afresh ..
..at the same time retaining the original drive ..and its data..
A fair bit of work ..but worth it ..
Ive done this in the past ..as I had a drive full of movies I wanted to keep.
rgds
VS

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Kernow
Vipersan said:
A fair bit of work ..but worth it ..

VS

But only if you think 10 hrs of Rugby Union and a load of chickflicks are worth saving.

So I got the PVR out of the video stand and the first obstacle was the RS232 plug, which is female and therefore won't mate with my null modem cable. I just can't be arsed now, because I'm getting Nanochickin's VU+ in my Christmas stocking. But thanks for the suggestions anyway.