Triax dishes - OEM rebrands... or fakes?

intracube

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
England
A bit of a curiosity - does anyone know what the deal is with Triax dishes?

It's easy to find items for sale listed as 'Triax' but with different branding, eg 'Satgear' on ebay:
3RYfbFs1kdywbZvO7cZCqEaz3I2FwWqE8ebv6yWn_pIn9flvkSv8Uz-Nd51l-zw6HpolC9trE8LTOxCfmI86yXz3Ks6IyIr2rMooer9sUFqCy90NnUpkzY-mV_Mb6vAeUG58L5WQW6z4O1LhDE4OekNbkMSdRhj-zj5mybOGRgCLiRDX3qvLyPNXXdiL5F80D6ULeKS6RlsvSKeHW84YdxVVzwkGvKUc9GMCAFbGH6KUcz1LgHjozB_vGmVwEzHew1l5mINX9qLIDne8zytE6hjnr0pl3MxH9y2Zo767sBoSyyzdO8w6cej-JEcxDYyLf8OPfgEmu__MwOMiYigGvfGjPCu7LHKTLHeAZqRO_8PdRsVO1ufEw5zSg_zKfs5zmuk1CyAX4YmrvduB-6yEAlmWzLVWpcEJESNO6EpAM6jW83eHN4OjP4Uk9Y12_y-FZwV30NU2_PNMWemYnmxzTyhD6h_lY3kCy3KdPj_saY9NZOAWY_TOxROKWVCUHg_OivdOfnDadyeBIYmX5QPYF4G6Oqe2nqTJTrBJbroT6jEHv2KSWSMm4suI6wPO5pZUs8rxExlyyRK6mBzaLRbhjrbJsJS5_R-lCBnKe3Xtoju2up6lsFpc0-8k=w776-h261-no

Sometimes they're available logo-less.

Are these just equivalents of a similar design/style, or are they all made in the same factory?

All rather confusing.

Given the choice, I'd probably go for a plain dish if I can be sure it's legit.

A

archive10

I'm fairly sure they're mass produced to Triax specifications.
They may even still make them in Denmark, although I'm not entirely sure that's economically viable these days.
You can buy them single, 10 pack, 50 pack, or even more.
They can be standard colours off-the-shelf, or any colour you like if you buy enough of them.
You can have your own logo embossed or written across the dish face etc.
So I would gues they're all Triax dishes.
Of course you can't rule out copies - they're in every field of production.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Triax dishes I buy have no logo, looks like the satgear logo has been applied to the photo, not the dish.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The most important criteria of dish integrity should be the performance and how well it lasts in the field (reflector strength and anti-corrosion properties)

Your best bet would be to buy one from a recognised Triax dealer (unless you have an original one lying about ) and compare the dimensions, weight of individual components and the paint/finish of a replacement. A clone will stick out unless it is very well made, in which case it probably has similar reception characteristics.

As mentioned it will be very difficult to do anything about a fake purchase unless you complain to the seller through a governing authority and have accumulated some proof. Selling under the RRP if one exists might also go some way to confirming if you are buying non-legitimate items

intracube

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600
My Location
England
The most important criteria of dish integrity should be the performance and how well it lasts in the field (reflector strength and anti-corrosion properties)
Yep, that was my main concern.

You can buy them single, 10 pack, 50 pack, or even more.
They can be standard colours off-the-shelf, or any colour you like if you buy enough of them.

The Triax dishes I buy have no logo, looks like the satgear logo has been applied to the photo, not the dish.
Then it sounds like I should be fine if I avoid the fly-by-night Ebay sellers.

I've emailed SystemSAT this afternoon to see if they have dishes in stock, sans logo. If not, there's another seller that looks promising.