Triax Td110 On Pole

tooner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Solo2 with static dish for now.
My Location
Belfast
Set the motor to your latitude (make sure you use the correct scale - NOT the elevation scale) and then adjust the elevation on the dish. You shouldn't need to to touch the motor scale except for the final fine-tuning.

So basically I'm 54.7N so that's what I set on the motor and I need to work out my elevation to work out what I set the dish to? Using dishpointer it says 27.5 for Thor but obviously this changes depending on satellite, do I just set it to that and the motor does the rest? It also says the azimuth magnetic is 178. Should I set the motor to 1W and then point dish to 178 using a compass and meter to find it? I'm trying a few guides but I must get easily confused...

EDIT: further reading it looks like 5W Eutelsat is my best bet as I'm 5.7W

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Motor, yes: Set to a tad under 55 (And, s CJ said before, make sure you use the Latitude Scale - it's a common error to use the "Elevation" scale on the other side of the Motor Bracket).

Dish, no. The Dish Elevation Bracket should be set to around 24. It will require alteration during alignment, so a precise starting figure isn't really necessary. 24 deg gets you close enough,

tooner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Happy days. Think I have my head round this now. I'll get the dish up and using a compass I'll try my best to point it to magnetic south. I'll then get my sat box to use diseqc to point motor to 5W and then using the meter I'll move elevation on dish and adjust left and right to get best signal. Tighten everything up then I just need to test with a E and W sat far round the arc to make sure it's aligned properly. Does that sound about right?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Left/right adjustment is by moving the complete motor/dish assembly around the pole.

Up/down is by adjusting the dish bracket only.

Nisatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon1008se,humax fox sat,sky hd box, comag receivers. 60cm sky dish, 90cm with 9e,13e,19e,28e plus 1.2m with c/ku band.
My Location
Co down n.ireland
Hi toner how did you get on? Did you get set up ok? I too live in the north down area, slightly off topic but I was interested to know if you get reception of 7 west (nilesat) or 26 east badr? I have been struggling with a 1.2 prime focus dish to get either successfully and am curious as to whether anyone local can.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You should get Badr4 easily, 5 & 6 are very weak in the uk, and you will need summat MUCH bigger than 1.2m for them in Northern Ireland. (1.2m is on the small side for north of London!

You can forget Nilesat 201 as well, although you might have more luck with Eutel 7WA with a well set up dish.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I can get most of the Badr 4 channels easily here south of Edinburgh on an offset lnb on a 1m dish aimed at 21.5E

tooner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Hi toner how did you get on? Did you get set up ok? I too live in the north down area, slightly off topic but I was interested to know if you get reception of 7 west (nilesat) or 26 east badr? I have been struggling with a 1.2 prime focus dish to get either successfully and am curious as to whether anyone local can.

I get 25% signal on Nilesat at the moment but I'm struggling with my install. I thought I'd done everything correct and I have great signal on Thor and 5W but I can't get any other satellites. I've the latitude set correctly on my motor to just under 55. We adjusted the elevation on the dish meter to get the best signal on 5W. Everything looks like it's mounted on the pole correctly and it's 100% vertical.

Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
This could be where the pics I mentioned earlier might help .......

eg Not using correct Mark on Motor Latitude scale (can be difficult to identify)

Last edited:

Nisatman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Octagon1008se,humax fox sat,sky hd box, comag receivers. 60cm sky dish, 90cm with 9e,13e,19e,28e plus 1.2m with c/ku band.
My Location
Co down n.ireland
Hi tooner, assume you have entered the correct lat long into the receiver? Are you using the usals setting to drive the dish? Are you setting 5west as the top of the arc? Tivu suggestion good sometimes photo can help the experts see what might be amiss?

tooner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
I didn't get any close ups while the ladder was there unfortunately. It's very high at the moment because we wondered if it wasn't clearing the roof. The previous sky dish that was there was nearly sitting on the roof and it was fine so I think we can probably take it right down once we work out where we are going wrong.
IMG_20130803_171853.jpg IMG_20130803_174339.jpg

tooner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Hi tooner, assume you have entered the correct lat long into the receiver? Are you using the usals setting to drive the dish? Are you setting 5west as the top of the arc? Tivu suggestion good sometimes photo can help the experts see what might be amiss?
I've got a solo2 running Openvix and I put in the lat/long in service scanning. The problem must be related to alignment because we're not hitting any satellites on the meter when we scan east of Thor.

tooner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
This could be where the pics I mentioned earlier might help .......

eg Not using correct Mark on Motor Latitude scale (can be difficult to identify)
It's the TM2600 I'm using and I set the latitude to just below 55. It seemed simple enough to identify which scale, I'm pretty sure I got it right OK.

Nisatman do you know anyone locally who could help? The guy who helped me today is fantastic but he's not a sat expert.

BTW getting a good few chans on nilesat, mostly Quatar chans and some Lybian.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If you can't resolve the tracking issue, we do have an Installer Wanted section ...................

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
That dish is very high and I doubt it needs to be. Need to sit just about the roof else a small gust of wind will take out any signals due to wobble at best and bring it all crashing down at worst.

tooner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
That dish is very high and I doubt it needs to be. Need to sit just about the roof else a small gust of wind will take out any signals due to wobble at best and bring it all crashing down at worst.
We thought it wasn't high enough to clear the roof but it must just be the tracking. Will take it down as low as possible

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Which roof? The one the dish sits above?

tooner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belfast
Yep! If you look at the first pic the dish is 5W. All the E sats are over the roof.

Last edited:

macx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm6902hd-t2 super receiver
6ft c.master dish.
My Location
county down.

Both ok here in Conlig.

macx.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Get it down until the dish/LNB arm just clears the roof - there's no need for it to be that high.