Triax td78 big enough for 5e europe bss plus hotbird 13.3e?

bureaucrazy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
planning future installation of satellite TV
My Location
east of england
Hi, this is my first system so I am new to all this. I have spent a lot of time but have not got a definitive answer on whether the TD78 is big enough for my proposed system.

I plan to set up the dish with the triax multi-lnb attachment with the dish/lnb1 centred on the sirius/astra 5e with the hotbird lnb2 off to the side.

I want to use quattro lnbs so I can distribute the signals to 5 rooms in my house via a multiswitch.

The reason I want this setup for 5E is so that I can receive LTV world:
Astra 4A 4.8°E 12380 H DVB-S
MPEG-2
3/4
Europe BSS

I am in East Anglia if that makes any odds.

Also, why is the Astra 4A satellite referred to by so many different names? e.g. 5E/4.8E/sirius, etc?

Will the signal be significantly affected by using a multiswitch? If so, do I really need a bigger dish? Just walking around today I saw a "viasat" dish on someones house pointing south which did not look all that big (probably under 70cm). The next size up TD88 would look pretty ugly, so I want to avoid if possible.

Thanks in advance...

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Viasat needs a a bigger dish as some TPs are on the Nordic beam. You should be fine with the Europe Beam. Actually you could probably split the difference between 13E and 4.8E for the focus, see what works best.

Different names, as different satellites have been at that position,

bureaucrazy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
east of england
Thanks for your quick answer. I'm not looking to get any Nordic channels, only LTV World.

I guess the TD78 is classed as an 80cm dish? I had read that 80cm dishes were ok but also that there could be some loss from the multiswitch. I think I will go with the TD78 rather than the TD88 as it will be easier to mount, look better and there should be less problems with strong winds, etc.

Out of interest, what would be the smallest dish you could pick up 5E euro beam with? If it were using a single high quality lnb with no multiswitch, etc and a clear sky?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
60cm I guess, but tbh never tried with a dish that small, as all the 4.8e I have done were for viasat. Think I have had some tps on a sky minidish too, but was in France at the time.

The td78 is more like a 70cm, actually, it's not very big

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
bureaucrazy said:
Thanks for your quick answer. I'm not looking to get any Nordic channels, only LTV World.

I guess the TD78 is classed as an 80cm dish? I had read that 80cm dishes were ok but also that there could be some loss from the multiswitch. I think I will go with the TD78 rather than the TD88 as it will be easier to mount, look better and there should be less problems with strong winds, etc.

Out of interest, what would be the smallest dish you could pick up 5E euro beam with? If it were using a single high quality lnb with no multiswitch, etc and a clear sky?

A Sky minidish :D

Ive had the Euro beam no problem on a sunny afternoon, although I dont know how much rain fade capability that would give you.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Just to let you know I can get LTV World without a problem on a 60cm multi sat dish with 4.8°E very slightly off centre. (SNR and AGC readings from the relevant TP in photo)

Attachments

• LTV TP.jpg
    LTV TP.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 37

bureaucrazy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
east of england
Thanks all for your replies. I feel more reassured that I don't need a huge dish. Now I must select my other components...

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Raven Gemini 70 would do nicely for these two, possible stick another LNb in for 19e.