Trojan attacks Microsoft's AntiSpyware

N

net1

Virus writers have created a malicious program that can disable Microsoft's new anti-spyware application, CNET reports.

Antivirus experts say the Trojan Bankash.A is the first piece of malicious software to attack Windows AntiSpyware, which is still in beta.

"As Microsoft's product creeps out of beta and is adopted more by the home user market, we can expect to see more attempts by Trojan horses, viruses and worms to undermine its effectiveness," said Graham Cluley from Internet security firm Sophos.

Like many other Trojans, Bankash attempts to steal passwords and online banking details from Windows users. The program targets users of U.K. online banks such as Barclays, Cahoot, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds TSB, Nationwide, NatWest and Smile.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Thanks Net1, very useful info.

I would suggest ppl think about the logic here. Microsoft are writing programs to combat holes in their own operating system. This is an odd approach and not steeped in quality in the business sense of the word. Better to go with 3rd party spyware programs like Spysweeper from Webroot who are miles ahead of Microsoft in this field.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
jimbo said:
Thanks Net1, very useful info.

I would suggest ppl think about the logic here. Microsoft are writing programs to combat holes in their own operating system. This is an odd approach and not steeped in quality in the business sense of the word. Better to go with 3rd party spyware programs like Spysweeper from Webroot who are miles ahead of Microsoft in this field.
Couldn't agree more Jimbo
It is quite bizarre if you really think about it !!!:confused

nizar123

Reaction score
Website
www.nizar.gq.nu
My Location
india
Hey
Why these peoples are creating virus programmes,instead they can use their brains for hacking satellite encryptions method like IRDETO 2,Via 2,VIDEOGUARD etc...

very good na...

NIzar

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I ran the beta "antispyware" last night. Im quite impressed with it. It found one infection that the others had missed (virus killer & AdAware). Its got quite a few additional bits in it which are good.

Linked from the front page of the microsoft site if anyone wants to go and have look - however, the new download rules that are to be implemented in the near future mean that the site checks for correctly validated operating system before you can proceed. All MS downloads will be getting this treatment at some point.

Detail from the site:

"What is genuine Windows validation?
Validation is a short process that enables you to verify that your copy of Windows is genuine. If you request a genuine Windows download from the Microsoft Download Center, you will be prompted to complete the validation process. You may choose not to validate your Windows and still obtain your requested download. However, validating now will enable faster access to the Download Center in the future when validation may be required. After successful validation, a Microsoft Windows Download Key will be stored on your system for future use. Following the validation process, you'll be returned to your original page to obtain your requested download.

How are validation and Windows activation related?
The validation process determines if you have activated your copy of Windows. If you have not activated Windows, you will be asked to enter the 25-character Product Key printed on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) you received with your PC or software purchase. If you have already activated Windows, the validation process will sense that the PC has been activated, and will not request Product Key entry."

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Supported operating systems:

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Professional Edition , Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows XP Home Edition , Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition , Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition