Trying to build my own analog cable headend - looking for info/software/files!

philpem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
HackRF, SVA1, HackTV... you know... the usual!
My Location
GB
I've managed to pick up a couple of old US and UK analog cable boxes, a Jerrold C6M modulator, and an MVP scrambler. With those and a HackRF (running HackTV) I've been able to generate video signals the box is happy to tune to and display, but they've all got different channel maps, tuning settings and so on. Sadly they're all from different regions so the channel assignments and names are all different, which isn't very convenient to say the least!

Does anyone (I'm guessing someone who worked in a headend) have any old analog cable equipment, documentation, software CDs, or random 'analog cable files' squirrelled away?

The most useful thing would be a copy of the "ACC" Addressable Control Computer software, which would have been used at the headend to configure the cable system, modulators, etc. and download the channel maps and tuning profile (channel numbering and spacing) to the boxes.

Failing that, information on the control commands, logs of the control channel on a cable system, or other such things would be really helpful. There used to be a program called "Magiclog" for this (among others) and I'm sure back in the day someone logged the command channel of some cable network while a new box was being Initialized (the channel table being downloaded). Something like that would be great, I could look at it and figure out how the channel names, frequencies and numbers were downloaded.

Once that's working I'd love to get the "pay per view" function on one of these boxes working, and use it to cue up movies and programmes from my NAS on-demand. Just for the sheer heck of it! Maybe even with Teletext for the listings!

If you've seen Captain Jack's posts in the Analog Satellite board, that's what I'm trying to achieve here, just with cable instead of satellite :)

Hopefully it's okay to ask for this as I'm quite certain everyone's switched to digital, and I'm trying to generate my own content and show off these boxes as a bit of a display and to preserve the technology -- and have zero interest in stealing anyone else's content!

Cheers
Phil.