trying to connect 2 dishes to dreambox

hibs72

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
core 2 duo 6300, dreambox 800hd,2.7mtr dish sky and ADMC sports
My Location
akrotiri, cyprus
hope some one can help me i am trying to get 2 dishes working on my dreambox(it worked for a couple of weeks) i have a 2.7mtr dish with sky and this works good and i have a small dish for nilesat using a 2x1 Disque Switch when i try to watch some programs on the nilesat the picture freezes and the signal drops from 92% to 37% then i have to turn the dreambox off as i cant watch sky either.
i have brand new cable installed to see if this would work and i have also tried a 4x1 Disque Switch but it was still the same.
does anyone know what i am doing wrong or is the dreambox broken.

thanks in advance

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
hibs72 said:
hope some one can help me i am trying to get 2 dishes working on my dreambox(it worked for a couple of weeks) i have a 2.7mtr dish with sky and this works good and i have a small dish for nilesat using a 2x1 Disque Switch when i try to watch some programs on the nilesat the picture freezes and the signal drops from 92% to 37% then i have to turn the dreambox off as i cant watch sky either.
i have brand new cable installed to see if this would work and i have also tried a 4x1 Disque Switch but it was still the same.
does anyone know what i am doing wrong or is the dreambox broken.

thanks in advance

Try the following

1 - Check if the Dreambox is working well for both satellites by connecting the cables from both satellites directly to the receiver LNB input, in turn.
Then check that all the channels that you have in your channels list for each satellite are working as they should.
2 - Once you establish that the 500S is working fine, do a new installation using the diseq and channel scan.
You should also consider reflashing the box with the same image and do a clean install instead.

hibs72

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
akrotiri, cyprus
hi HB13DISH
tried what you said but only some channels on the showtime package work without freezing (disney channel and show comedy extra) but again all the sports and movie channels freeze the box.
the box has been reflashed by someone who knows what they are doing(not me) twice but this still happens.

thanks in advance

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
You need to establish the root of the problem.

i.e, is it a switching problem, a signal from the dish problem, or an decryption problem.

hibs72

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
akrotiri, cyprus
You need to establish the root of the problem.

i.e, is it a switching problem, a signal from the dish problem, or an decryption problem.

sorry robbo i dont understand what you mean i have taken the Disque Switch out of the line and it still freezes up. other channels on the same dish are working okay well a couple at least so i take it this means the dish i okay as i thought it might be the LNB and i dont know what you mean by "an decryption problem"

does this help as it has blown my mind

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Ok, you have eliminated the Diseqc switch as the cause.;)

Now it's down to either a signal from the dish, or decryption problems.

Check the signal quality on all transponders you have problems with, are they all sufficient?

You must get to know your receiver so that you know what the minimum quality reading is required to get a decent picture. If there are any transponders with FTA channels on them as well as the other channels you want. Check those, are you getting a stable picture? If so, it's not a signal problem.

hibs72

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
akrotiri, cyprus
Robbo said:
Ok, you have eliminated the Diseqc switch as the cause.;)

Now it's down to either a signal from the dish, or decryption problems.

Check the signal quality on all transponders you have problems with, are they all sufficient?

You must get to know your receiver so that you know what the minimum quality reading is required to get a decent picture. If there are any transponders with FTA channels on them as well as the other channels you want. Check those, are you getting a stable picture? If so, it's not a signal problem.

i did not understand a thing you said robbo i only understand english:confused

its showtime that i get the problem with as when sky is put on the dreambox it works fine but when showtime is put on showtime freezes even art freezes after say 10seconds i have had some one and he thinks its the dreambox but i dont understand how the dreambox works fine with just sky plugged in but does not work with just nilesat plugged in could their be a program on my dreambox that interferes with nilesat.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
You need to establish if you are receiving enough signal from 7W. Try receiving, say, Fox Movies, 11766H, 27500-3/4. If you can receive that okay then your problem is with decryption/card sharing as Robbo says above.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
hibs72 said:
hi HB13DISH
tried what you said but only some channels on the showtime package work without freezing (disney channel and show comedy extra) but again all the sports and movie channels freeze the box.
the box has been reflashed by someone who knows what they are doing(not me) twice but this still happens.

thanks in advance

Do you have a personal subscription to Showtime with a smartcard inserted in the card slot or you have a card sharing setup?
If it is the latter, then you should have mentioned this in your first post instead of us trying to guess.
With CS, it is probably a problem with the connection to the provider, and not with your setup.
Try to disconnect the Ethernet cable and see if the channels behave better (black screen).

hibs72

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
akrotiri, cyprus
Huevos said:
You need to establish if you are receiving enough signal from 7W. Try receiving, say, Fox Movies, 11766H, 27500-3/4. If you can receive that okay then your problem is with decryption/card sharing as Robbo says above.

hi huevos
just tried what you said and yes i got it and signal was at 92% then after about 1min it froze and went down to 39%

hibs72

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
akrotiri, cyprus
HB13DISH said:
Do you have a personal subscription to Showtime with a smartcard inserted in the card slot or you have a card sharing setup?
If it is the latter, then you should have mentioned this in your first post instead of us trying to guess.
With CS, it is probably a problem with the connection to the provider, and not with your setup.
Try to disconnect the Ethernet cable and see if the channels behave better (black screen).

sorry hb13dish
its card sharing i have, sorry to be a pain
right did what you said and even with a black screen it still went down to 35%
so does this mean its the dreambox then.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
hibs72 said:
i did not understand a thing you said robbo i only understand english:confused

wot u mean, that was engrish!:-rofl2 Been speaking it for 42 years!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
hibs72 said:
sorry hb13dish
its card sharing i have, sorry to be a pain
right did what you said and even with a black screen it still went down to 35%
so does this mean its the dreambox then.

It's OK. :)
What we need to establish is if there is any correlation between the channels on Showtime that you are able to receive well and those that you don't.
Might be a horizontal or vertical polarization reception or Hi/Lo band.
So take a look at all the channels in the Showtime package
_http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/showtime.html
Then, with no internet connection, and w/o Diseq switch, check the quality of each channel. Then give us a list of which are good and which are bad or just which are bad.
If you can see a pattern, then let us know.
You might need to change your dish to a bigger one (you did say a small dish for Nilesat), and/or change the LNB to a more sensetive one.
What is the dish size?
What is the distance between dish and receiver? (need to know cable length)

hibs72

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
akrotiri, cyprus
just a little update tried the box on another setup and still froze getting it changed on thursday so if the shop keeps up his side of the deal i will try the new one thursday or friday and let you know.

thanks to all for the help