Turning Rotor problem

steveo33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pentium 4 4.2ghz
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Stirlingshire
Hi there I have a problem with my set up all is fine with the box but the dish wont rotate have been into setting followed it by the book and still nothing.My brother told me to take the Dreambox to his house and it wont move his Satellite either and he has had a dreambox for about 2 years he checked settings and couldnt see a problem.Tried flashing software and still the same.So now I have an old lemon 020S reciever in the kids room which i make turn the dish to the desired position then get the dreambox to scan for channels.Only problem this way is that the dreambox keeps giving message saying turning to degrees east or west even though it cant do it anyways.If i could disable this but still allowing me to scan all satellites I could live with it.Even better what I want to know is there a fault in the dreambox that it wont turn the rotor and also remember it cant be the rotor problem as was proven at brothers house his wont turn also.He personally thinks the box has a fault what you think.Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Stevie

(I just joined the site today so Hello to all members)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Welcome to the forum :)

Are you using gotoXX? DM500s doesn't work properly with gotoXX.

Have you found, stored and scanned the positions for each satellite? Does "drive to zero position" work and you've set the dish/ motor up correctly?

And have you had a browse through the Idiot's guide?

angusc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 - Nabilosat v0.8 AG /
DM500 - Gemini 4.2 /
XSAT 430 /
Xcruiser 250 /
H-H Motek 2100A /
1m Dish /
SATS: 146E, 138E, 134E, 122.2E, 108E, 95E, 75E
My Location
English living in China
I have experienced the same problems with my CLONE DM500 box. In the end I upgraded the standard power supply unit from a 2Amp to a Laptop 12v 4 Amp unit that helped with general powering of the DM500, but still not help the dich motor rotation. I now use a second satellite receiver to move the motor to the required position then use the DM500 to store the channels. To do this you need to set up your DM500 as "non-standard User defined configurations" and NOT the "many satellites via DiSEqC Rotor". Then you just need to add each of the required satellites using the same LNB setting. This way you can have as many satellites as you want and use the second sat box to rotate the motor. Obviously it means that selecting a different satellite channel on the DM500 will not rotate the motor but it is a "half-way house" solution.

steveo33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pentium 4 4.2ghz
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Stirlingshire
Hi there I have done what you said getting the guide and have went through each stage and it just doest move whatsoever I dont know what to do here something tells me the unit itself is at fault but dont what to go out and buy another unit as they are not cheap :confused

Feel free all to post so i can try another alternative

regards

Steveo

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
It doesn't drive to zero?

Have you got a volt meter and measured the voltage out the back of the Dreambox (the socket that the sat cable connects to)?

Is it a clone and what image does it have?

steveo33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pentium 4 4.2ghz
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Stirlingshire
As far as i believe it is an original and has the holigram on the back of it.I will get a voltmeter from work tommorow and see what readings I am getting.If this is a clone then where do i go from here would i have to buy a satellite positioner and if so please could you tell me type to purchase. To be honest I got this over a week ago and am learning quite alot about the cams ect recording onto pc have done all this but didnt expect this problem just getting fed up runningdownstairs to change satellite positions:))

thanks for you help much appreciated :)

( I am doing exact same as angusc has done)

steveo33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pentium 4 4.2ghz
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Stirlingshire
Hi mhku I have tested it with the voltmeter and am getting 1.8v out therefore this could be the reason it wont turn the dish.I have original manual here and as i bought it from guy on ebay I just opened it up and checked it to see if it is a clone and it is an original according to the diagram which is on this site somewhere.Using pli jade image but have tried other software including gemini which gave same results.Last point could I use Satellite Dish Positioner DiSEqC 1.2 & Reed Switch V400 to turn it but I think it connect to the receiver which could be a problem if no volts out not sure this point but if it would work I would buy one please let me know your the expert Im a Noobie at this

Regards

Stevie :confused

Myhd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM500-S
My Location
Asia
Hi Stevie,
My DM500s (Clone) works with a positioner with DiSEqC 1.2 powering a 36V actuator.
Just curious, the 1.8V out on your Sat cable is able to power the Lnb ? I measured and is 13.0V/17.7V on V and H channels respectively.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Unless you're happy to replace parts it sounds like it needs to be returned to the shop that you bought it from for repair (unless you've changed the LNB voltage settings?).

steveo33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pentium 4 4.2ghz
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Stirlingshire
I have asked a shop round the corner if he could look at it for me tommorow and he said it could be a voltage regulator thats gone.He used to repair sky recievers so I will drop it off to him.Is there anything in particular that he should look out for and once again thankk you for everything

Regards

Steveo

angusc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 - Nabilosat v0.8 AG /
DM500 - Gemini 4.2 /
XSAT 430 /
Xcruiser 250 /
H-H Motek 2100A /
1m Dish /
SATS: 146E, 138E, 134E, 122.2E, 108E, 95E, 75E
My Location
English living in China
Stevo,

I have upgraded my power supply from the standard 12v 2Amp unit to a Laptop one with 12v and 4Amp. This helped me for the similar problem. The other trick that i found worked to get the full voltage output from the LNB connection on the back of the DM500 was to connect the volt meter to the LNB Input connector on the DM500 then power up the DM500 and watch the voltage reading. If your fault is like mine used to be, then the full voltage of 14v or 18v will appear when you start the DM500 with hte voltmeter connected. After that, just carefully remove the volt meter connection and re connect the LNB cable to the connection. But be very carefull not to short circuit the connection.

After i upgraded my power supply i did not have this propblem anymore. So my advise is to try a new power supply with higher Amperage output.

steveo33

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pentium 4 4.2ghz
Dreambox 500S
My Location
Stirlingshire
Well Guys Thanks for all the help throughout Latest News is that thetuner is away in the unit so It looks to me that the seller sold be a goofy box.I would have to buy a tuner for it orif someone had spare parts couldbuyone from them then get the part fitted in a shop.to be honest i should just have bought one from the multimedia website.

regards

steveo