Pc-
Windows Xp SP2
2.8GHz
80GB Hard Drive
512MB DDR
My Location
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I came across this site while trying to find about setting up tv viewing on my pc and thought this was my best bet.

I currently have a SKY Digibox, and a valid sky subscription and wanted to view the channels i have subscribed to on my computer. I have had a quick look around and seen either tv-pc cards or usb's - im guessing that the usbs only work with freeview channels - is this correct? If so, what would you say I would need to be able to watch the subscribed channels i have on my computer (from cables to hardware to software,etc). I apologise if this has been asked before, as im sure it has, but being a "noob" on the subjects, of the relevant threads ive seen ive not been able to make much sense out of them. Any help on what i would require to view the channels on my computer, with estimated prices if possibly, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help in advance
Tashaq

tashaq

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pc-
Windows Xp SP2
2.8GHz
80GB Hard Drive
512MB DDR
My Location
United Kingdom
Having scouted further i founf this piece of information:

Connecting via your Sky Digibox - This is the easiest and cheapest - you need to run an aerial lead (coax) from the RF output socket of your Sky Digibox, to the input aerial socket on a standard PC TV card or USB TV adapter. This way, you can watch and record whatever channel the Digibox is tuned into. You need to use the PC card's software to "tune in" to the TV channel that your Digibox uses (the 'modulated' RF output channel). Note that the 'Freeview only' PCI/USB devices won't be suitable for use with an RF signal generated from a Sky box - look for an analogue (normal TV) card or box, or better still, a card that copes with both Freeview and analogue, such as the HVR1100

My question is, would i be able to go through channels regardless of what channel is being watched downstairs by my sky box? Or would i only be able to view the channel currently being shown on the digibox?

Thanks
Tashaq

member91040

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
would i be able to go through channels regardless of what channel is being watched downstairs by my sky box? Yes pull out other Twin AV Cable.

tashaq

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pc-
Windows Xp SP2
2.8GHz
80GB Hard Drive
512MB DDR
My Location
United Kingdom
member91040 said:
Yes pull out other Twin AV Cable.

Thanks for that. I personally, do not know very much at all on the topic and would just like to confirm details regarding to the "Twin AV Cable". Where would i find this and will it be there already? Or will i have to buy this separately?

Also, ive had a look around and think ive found the right pc card. Would you say that the Hauppauge HVR1100 TV Card would be sufficient for watching Sky (both subscribed and free-to-air channels) on my Pc? If not what would you recommend?

Thanks
Tashaq