basingstoke
I brought it direct from TVBS. ;)

wil88

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Xsat CDTV410 Digital Receiver with 40cm dish and universal LNB
My Location
Sandhurst, Berkshire.
I have the same problem, I can pick up Astra 19E and Hotbird 13E very easily, been trying most of today to find Eurobird 9E but my signal satellite finder meter won't detect anything else west of 13E. I currently have a 40cm dish, do you think this maybe my problem?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
You will have to move the dish up a notch to get some signal from the western satellites (the LNB would be about 1/4 of an inch higher than at 13 East)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
wil88 said:
I have the same problem, I can pick up Astra 19E and Hotbird 13E very easily, been trying most of today to find Eurobird 9E but my signal satellite finder meter won't detect anything else west of 13E. I currently have a 40cm dish, do you think this maybe my problem?

Whilst it may be possible to receive a signal from Eb9 with a 43cm dish, upgrading to a 60cm or Zone 2 would be advisable in order to achieve correct noise margin and Bit error rates for reliable viewing.

Once you have found 13e, it's only a small movement in a Westerly direction and raising the Elevation a tad.

You meter may still be registering 13e as you pass 9e.

wil88

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sandhurst, Berkshire.
Thanks, will investigate further today.

wil88

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sandhurst, Berkshire.
Managed to find E9 immediately west of Hotbird 13 and by raising the elevation slightly , but the signal is very weak (about 30% on the receiver signal reading), played around with the elevation and lnb skew which made minimal difference. Looks as though my 40cm dish is the problem, going down Maplins to get a 65cm to see if this will improve matters.

wil88

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sandhurst, Berkshire.
Right, I have finally installed my 65cm dish and have successfully locked onto E9...hurrah...but....
I have a new problem which I need you experts out there to give me an opinion on.

I am curently able to receive TVBS Europe on Astra 19.2E , this wil be switched off in Jan '09 and service transferred onto E9 (TVBS Europe is already live on E9). Now when I do a channel scan on freq 11823H I am able to pick up this channel but I just get a blank screen, all other FTA channels on this freq is OK (such as CCTV4) so I know I'm on the correct satellite. I called TVBS for advice and was advised that I need to purchase new receiver from them which I am not at all convinced.

Why would switching to a new satellite for the same channel require a new receiver? as far as I'm aware they are still using the same encription (Mediaguard 2) so what has changed?

Are they telling me porkies?

Can anyone please enlighten me

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
TVBS issue Manhattan XT-M receivers as standard with a multicrypt embedded card slot. The five channels are Irdeto2 encrytped. As long as you have a receiver with a CI slot and the approprieate cam, that should be fine.

sat127

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sat Stupid
Multiguard 2 Subscriber
Philips Receiver
My Location
Nottinghamshire
An idiots question from a rookie installer. Hopefully someone will point me in the right direction.
Looking at a Horizon Sat Finder meter hoping to re-align my sat to Eurobird 9. The frequency i need is the one as posted here for the TVBS channel but the Horizon only has Eurobird 9 'V' (Vertical) set, but the one i need is Eurobird 9 'H'. i'm wondering whether this will make any difference to locating the sat and whether it can or cannot be done with this unit.

Thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
EB9 transmits such a strong signal you shouldnt be able to miss it. Shes putting out signals easily as strong as 28E.

Just use one of the V channels - just make sure you pick an active one!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
sat127 said:
An idiots question from a rookie installer. Hopefully someone will point me in the right direction.
Looking at a Horizon Sat Finder meter hoping to re-align my sat to Eurobird 9. The frequency i need is the one as posted here for the TVBS channel but the Horizon only has Eurobird 9 'V' (Vertical) set, but the one i need is Eurobird 9 'H'. i'm wondering whether this will make any difference to locating the sat and whether it can or cannot be done with this unit.

Thanks

You can use either V or H to re-align the dish; fairly strong transponders on both polars from Eb9.

If you want to monitor and test the transponder for TVBS, you'll need to look at 11.823H

Signal measurments for reliable reception on this transponder would be somewhere in the region of 70+dBuV, Mer 10-12dB and BER after Viterbi of 2x10e4.

Not sure of exactly what your Horizon will measure and you should be able to upgrade meter software to show all transponders from this satellite.

EddyJ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield TF6400 IR
My Location
West country
Hello everyone,

I'm having a real nightmare trying to get the TVB smartcard to work.

I finally managed to find Eurobird 9 after much hassle (and I have to say, the selection of FTA is quite dull), but the TVB channels are still scrambled with the new smartcard!!

I've waited a while and nothing seems to happen. I've replugged the smartcard, it says "checking card" followed by a one second flash of TVB then a message saying it's scrambled.

TVB's not offering any help as their lines are constantly busy and they're not answering their emails.

Anyone know the solution?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Keep trying - TVB are the only ones that can help. Try TVB Europe - they were fta earlier this evening.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
The card should be activated within 5 minutes once the call has been made. The normal advice is to put the receiver onto TVBS Europe in order to be activated as the activation signal is sent. They have recently set up a new activation line.

EddyJ

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield TF6400 IR
My Location
West country
Does anyone know the number to their activation line?

There's no answer on their customer service number and I know I'm not the only person trying today.

Thanks

wil88

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sandhurst, Berkshire.
I rang 0208 614 8300.

Took me 3 attempts to get through, they are up to their neck at present so be patient.

They have messed me around lately saying I needed to pay for a new Topfield receiver as my current receiver won't work on Eurobird 9, I got fed up waiting for my new receiver to arrive so I'd moved my dish back to Astra 19.2 in order to resume service on their existing transponder.
They never mentioned this on their TV ad or website until I rang them to complain, not very impressed!

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
yes, they are now using Topfield TF6400IR Irdeto Embedded receivers, noticed days ago. Have been told they were experiencing problems with card activations with Manhattan XTM receivers, although I have never had any problems with them. Can't keep up, lol :D

Rcww

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza XT-M decoder for TVBS channel
My Location
Middlesex
Anyone know where cheapest place to get a Manhattan XT-M receiver? Is the Manhattan receiver able to decode freesat or do I need a freesat receiver as well?

I have a standard install for TVBS will I need a larger dish to get freesat as well as TVBS?

Thanks

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you want Freesat with all the extra epg info and a proper numbered channel list you will need a proper Freesat box.

If you just want the free channels and arent too bothered with fancy epg and structured channel lists then any generic digital box is fine