Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Rcww said:
I have a standard install for TVBS will I need a larger dish to get freesat as well as TVBS?

Thanks

Yes, to receive 28e & 9e on one dish using multi-LNb arrangment, you'll need a larger dish with a 20° LNb bracket.

Rcww

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza XT-M decoder for TVBS channel
My Location
Middlesex
satelliteman said:
Yes, to receive 28e & 9e on one dish using multi-LNb arrangment, you'll need a larger dish with a 20° LNb bracket.

What size dish do you recommend? and where can I get the 20° LNb bracket from?

Thanks

payleh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Clarke Tech 2100
TVB subscriptions
CT135 cables
Sony KDL40D2000
Freeview
My Location
London, UK
Reading this thread with interest.

I also had a dish installed by the TVB engineer who told me that the picture quality will drop when Hong Kong is having bad weather. This is because the transmission is from HK.

I am suffering from a significant drop of picture quality for the past few weeks paticularly in the evening around 5pm to around 11pm to midnight. Cant watch a damn thing at night!!

Have rewired using CT135 cables. The picture quality was better during the day time but the night time is completely pixalated.

I will be water proofing it with rubber boot soon but surely the problem is not related to weather over here? What else can i do to get back the picture quality

I am at a total lost!!! :confused

(Sorry to hijack this post)

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
payleh said:
Reading this thread with interest.

I also had a dish installed by the TVB engineer who told me that the picture quality will drop when Hong Kong is having bad weather. This is because the transmission is from HK.

I am suffering from a significant drop of picture quality for the past few weeks paticularly in the evening around 5pm to around 11pm to midnight. Cant watch a damn thing at night!!

Have rewired using CT135 cables. The picture quality was better during the day time but the night time is completely pixalated.

I will be water proofing it with rubber boot soon but surely the problem is not related to weather over here? What else can i do to get back the picture quality

I am at a total lost!!! :confused

(Sorry to hijack this post)

First thing is to check dish alignment. With a correctly set up dish of 60cm for Eurobird 9e you shouldn't be seeing loss of signal. Of course there are other factors to consider which will cause signal loss in general ie, poor cabling, line of sight issues, heavy rain etc....

Are any other channels from this satellite effected?

CT135??

payleh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Clarke Tech 2100
TVB subscriptions
CT135 cables
Sony KDL40D2000
Freeview
My Location
London, UK
satelliteman said:

Sorry:confused. I meant Webro WF100 cable.

The dish was aligned by the engineer. I changed the cable not long ago.
The signal strenght was around 62%.

I am totally loss in this? I am considering changing the LNB. But I am puzzled that we cannot watch it at night no matter how good/bad/cold/warm the weather is.:confused

assos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
xsat stb
60 cm dish
My Location
west yorkshire
Hi folks,

Completely new on here :-bighappy

I too have had major stress getting my dish moved from Astra 19 over to Eurobird 9 to until google pointed me over to this forum, which had all the answers I was looking for and got my dish correcty positioned to Eurobird 9 :-thumb1

So far so good except, although after a channel search, i can see the 5 new channels are there for TVB but no picture. just a blank screen on 4 of the channels with a message 'Conditional access not supported' Whilst one of them goes completely blank after about 5 second

What does the meessage mean? and is it a Dish/STB/Card or subscription problem.

Using a Xsat STB which is about 4 years old.

Many thanks in advance :-beer

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like your receiver is not compatible with the card.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Your card will be a TVBS Mediaguard 2 subs card. The 4 other channels you cant get on 9E are only using Irdeto 2.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
BTW - this isnt the first report Ive seen with TVBS Europe subscribers having problems when they move the dish round to 9E. The temporary fix is to put the dish back onto 19E and get onto TVB - you may need another receiver.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
TVBS are now issuing Topfield TF6400IR Irdeto Embedded receivers and a new subs card.

Receiver spec info: _http://topfield.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2:tf6400ir-irdeto-embedded&catid=1:satellite-receivers&Itemid=2

assos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
xsat stb
60 cm dish
My Location
west yorkshire
thanks for the relies.

So it looks like you can't view any TVB channels using an old STB and card on eurobird 9. I will try and get through to them on the phone tomorrow. I heard they were selling the latest STB's at a reduced price of just £40 until the end of January (that's if you can get through to them:mad:).

just one more thing. looking through the channels available i noticed there is CCTV 4 but the reception isn't that good.Picture breaks up a lot. But no CCTV 1,2 or 3!

Am I on the right satellite? :confused

wil88

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Xsat CDTV410 Digital Receiver with 40cm dish and universal LNB
My Location
Sandhurst, Berkshire.
I can confirm that you will need a new STB for Eurobird 9 TVBS as all five channels are using IRETO 2, when I swapped out my old XSAT receiver to the new Topfield receiver and new subscription card (which TVBS recommends and sells for £40) all was ok. I also upgraded my feeble 40cm to a 65cm dish which is much better (99% signal level, 85% quality). However I found that lining up to Eurobird 9 was much more difficult than the Astra satellites, you need to be spot on or the quality drops off considerably.

col.guile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400CI+USB Super, 80cm dish, TM motor, cheap lnb...
My Location
Kent
I've got problems with TVBS Europe as well. They never said in their adverts that you would need a new subscription card, that their old dishes were too small (old dishes 40 cm, min size req. for 9E is 60cm) and that the receivers would all be obselete. Basically you would need a whole new system from them. My problem is that my technomate box can't 'open/activate' my subs card. This is the 2nd one I've had! My box is a 5400ci+ usb super, and I've tested it at my friends house with their card and it works. My card just hasn't been activated. Their customer support told me my technomate probably couldn't activate the card and I should buy one of their boxes (manhattan or topfield). :-Nooo

Xleecher

Reaction score
col.guile said:
I've got problems with TVBS Europe as well. They never said in their adverts that you would need a new subscription card, that their old dishes were too small (old dishes 40 cm, min size req. for 9E is 60cm) and that the receivers would all be obselete. Basically you would need a whole new system from them. My problem is that my technomate box can't 'open/activate' my subs card. This is the 2nd one I've had! My box is a 5400ci+ usb super, and I've tested it at my friends house with their card and it works. My card just hasn't been activated. Their customer support told me my technomate probably couldn't activate the card and I should buy one of their boxes (manhattan or topfield). :-Nooo

hi mate

i was told by customer support to bring my box (technomate tm-1000d) and card to china town to get it activated there, so i plan on going tomorrow. maybe you should do the same if you live in london.

Rcww

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Plaza XT-M decoder for TVBS channel
My Location
Middlesex
wil88 said:
I can confirm that you will need a new STB for Eurobird 9 TVBS as all five channels are using IRETO 2, when I swapped out my old XSAT receiver to the new Topfield receiver and new subscription card (which TVBS recommends and sells for £40) all was ok. I also upgraded my feeble 40cm to a 65cm dish which is much better (99% signal level, 85% quality). However I found that lining up to Eurobird 9 was much more difficult than the Astra satellites, you need to be spot on or the quality drops off considerably.

Are they charging for a new subscription card ?

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
A Topfield TF6400IR Irdeto embedded receiver for example (which TVB can suuply) and a new subs card will get you the 5 TVB channels on E/bird 9.

col.guile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400CI+USB Super, 80cm dish, TM motor, cheap lnb...
My Location
Kent
Finally got it sorted out. Wife took the card to chinatown and it took them about 15 mins to activate it. I suggest if you live near or in London, take your shiny new irdeto card there to get it activated. All of the people I know that have TVBS, have had problems (some of them have even been randomly cut off!) with changing over. I feel sorry for their customer support-if you're chinese and have old parents you'll know what I mean:-rofl2 They've moved their shop to next to Wong Kei resturant. I think its on the 1st floor.
You don't need to pay for the new card if you are an existing customer, just ring them and they'll send you a new card. But! Check that you have a 60 cm dish and a receiver that has a irdeto card slot or that can read irdeto cards, and that you are pointing to 9deg E. I had trouble finding it with a 40cm dish, so while I had to get new kit anyway I went fully motorised:). Their transponder shares channels with cctv4 and spedo (currently on test) so if you have found those channels then you are on the right transponder and sat.
Lastly you don't have to subscribe to all 5 channels, we switched from 19.2E to 9E and are currently on 1-TVBS Europe, and don't need the other channels on 9E.

ksate

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TVB Pace
My Location
London
hi

what motorised system did you install? planning a big upheaval having to change to eurobird 9.

sharpie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
85cm dish, Xsat STB, Titanium 0.2 LNB
My Location
Midlands
According to a member of the sales when I rang them, they still expect to be on air at the old satellite for a fair few months yet - until spring/summer. There was an eight week leadtime on their engineers coming out as all of a sudden they were flooded with calls towards the end of January. Im in no hurry for any kind of changeover although it was £80 for new card/stb/dish realignment.

Also in no real rush to get their full five channels - The original channel seems to be broadcast with an average bitrate of 3.4Mb/s while the other four seem to have an average of 2.2Mb/s. I get annoyed enough as it is during some broadcasts when the picture is blocky or artefacts are visible due to compression - but if these other four channels are going to be broadcast at a lower bitrate, I think it will drive me bonkers! Gimme 5? er... only if you up the bitrates!

I would have liked them to have offered a HDTV service, I woulda killed to have seen the CNY fireworks in high definition a few weeks back!