Twin LNB?

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Hi,

I’ve eventually got round to nearly purchasing a motorised satellite system based on the below.

1m dish
Disec 1.2 motor
Twin LNB ?

What I’m looking to do is have one feed from the dish to a PC card (probably WinTV DVB-s) and the other to a receiver (Force D-Master maybe?). The shop tells me that because of this setup I need an Alps 0.7db LNB to boost up the signal strength. Is this necessary? They seem a bit on the pricey side. I’m not doubting their word, just that most of you guys know a lot more than me. And a second opinion is useful.

P.S The card is a must, I’m only going on reviews for the receiver.

Cheers,

Pete

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Did they ask you on the sensitivity of the receiver or PC card

Did thay ask on on the cable length

If not then the LNB type is unlikely to make a difference in any case. Most are rated at 60-65 dB output, which seems to be an industry standard

Noise figures do count, and these are also to be taken with a pinch of salt by those that should know better

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Thanks Channel Hopper,

No they didnt ask me anything about what receiver or card I would be using.

When the LNB gives a rating after it 0.3, 0.6 or 0.7db etc what exactly does this mean?

Ta,

Pete

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
That's the noise figure Pete and as Channel Hopper says, you can take it with a pinch of salt. There are different ways of expressing the noise figure to make it sound better (obviously the lower the better). Most good quality twin LNbs quoting a noise figure of 0.6 or below will be suitable for your purposes.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Very few manufacturers quote stability on the specifications, which is one of the key factors in getting real digital type quality, under all conditions.

An exception is California Amplifier that dont rely on distributors to bump up the sales through false advertising.

You wont see many people advertise this name as there are more popular makes that let the advertising do the selling, but CalAmp prefer to let the word spread by recommendation, and they do have an extremely good following in the commercial broadcast part of the industry.

Nova is the name for the latest Universal LNB range, singles, twins and Quads, so far in Feed horn type only.