Kiteflier-1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Lidl 0.8m dish and Sky dish with 4LNB's 28E 19E 13E and 7E, Skystar2 PC card
Also Sky digibox for FTA channels
My Location
West Lothian
Hi all,

Here's a few pictures of my current set-up. I started with the 80cm dish and analogue receiver from Lidl, and soon progressed to a Skystar2 PC card. The jump to multiple LNB's started when I acquired a Sky LNB which I found on my driveway. My neighbour had just been upgraded to Sky+ and I guess the installer couldn't be bothered to pick up the old LNB after dropping it. My 4-way diseqc switch came from a German supplier on eBay and lives under a plastic bottle to keep the weather off. The Sky dish (found in a skip) is currently picking up 28E, but I have been moving it around occasionally, to 12.5W (trying and failing to pick up ESA broadcasts), and other birds in my field of view.

Anyway, when I took the pictures the bigger dish was aimed at the Hotbirds, with the other LNB's picking up 19E and 28E. The Sky dish was on 5W if I remember rightly. At the moment, the Sky dish is back pointed at its designed location and the 4th LNB is now looking at 5E off the main dish (which is still aimed at 13E).

You may notice the slightly unconventional mounts for the LNBs which are narrow planks of wood with a V shape cut in the end and hammered into the ground to the right depth. (Fitting the LNB afterwards, of course). It is quite easy to hold the LNB by hand to find the best signal and then put it to one side whilst bashing in the stake to hold it in place permanently. For fine adjustments I use a signalmeter plugin for DVBDream which you can set to fill the screen, making it easy to see from the garden.

I had to include the picture of my solar furnace experiment. After covering the dish with foil (and removing the LNB!) it made a fairly hopeless furnace. It did set fire to wood if left at the focus for about five minutes, not exactly impressive!

Neil,
West Lothian
P.S. notice the Hobgoblin sitting on the patio table.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I guess the solar furnace picture is the melted dish? :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Kiteflier-1 said:
I had to include the picture of my solar furnace experiment. After covering the dish with foil (and removing the LNB!) it made a fairly hopeless furnace. It did set fire to wood if left at the focus for about five minutes, not exactly impressive!

I think Mythbusters found that you needed a 2m dish covered in mirror tiles to make an impressive solar furnace, or solar ray gun.... :D

rincewind

Reaction score
Website
www.dogfreckle.info
My Location
Manukau New Zealand
I had a go with a solar barby using an old 90 cm dish which I had chrome plated and buffed .
it worked well. it could ignite kindling in about 15 seconds it could boil a pot of coffee in minutes, i never really got a good gimbal mount sorted for the cooking platter tho...
the problem with your foil rig is that the foil wrinkles when you stick it to the dish. this diffuses the light so you dont get a truely focused beam.

I have also had a small handheld solar cigarrette lighter that was about 150mm by 100mm oval . that could light a cigarette in a 10 to 15 seconds.

i reckon the next thing to do would be to fit some sort of focussing and aiming head to it and make a heat ray...

* Rince wanders off to the shed with an evil glint in his eye.....'O'-red *

HeeHee the neighbours cat will come to rue the day he shat in my lettuce patch:eek: