Two dragon cams in one receiver?

cableman

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a twin tuner pvr (maybe Topfield). I would like to know if this receiver works with dragon cam and if it is possible to record one channel encrypted in one system and at the same time watch another channel encrypted in the same or a different system. If possible can I use two dragon cams at the same time? Any help appreciated. Or have I got it all wrong, and does the encrypted signal get recorded? Cableman.

ehzaz

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam
Hi,
I have a TF4000PVR with twin tuner and 40G hardrive. I am also using a dragon cam. No problem recording one channel and viewing another. Make sure that you record on tuner 2 and view tuner 1. Works fine except that when I switch the receiver on for the first time for the day, all my non-fta channels come up as scrambled. I then have to switch to an FTA channel and wait for the update to take place. frustrating!! Does anyone know of a better way.
Thanks
Ez

cableman

Reaction score
ehzaz said:
Hi,
I have a TF4000PVR with twin tuner and 40G hardrive. I am also using a dragon cam. No problem recording one channel and viewing another. Make sure that you record on tuner 2 and view tuner 1. Works fine except that when I switch the receiver on for the first time for the day, all my non-fta channels come up as scrambled. I then have to switch to an FTA channel and wait for the update to take place. frustrating!! Does anyone know of a better way.
Thanks
Ez
Thanks. I take it from this that the channel is recoorded unencrypted and opened on playback.??

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm dish, dual LNB, Topfield TF5010PVR
My Location
North Staffordshire England
cableman said:
Thanks. I take it from this that the channel is recoorded unencrypted and opened on playback.??
I have a Topfield TF5010, and with that you can record an encoded channel then decode it on play back, though I have never need to.:cool:

cableman

Reaction score
John T said:
I have a Topfield TF5010, and with that you can record an encoded channel then decode it on play back, though I have never need to.:cool:
Thanks m8 for the info. Regards Cableman.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
John T said:

hang on .... If you as you say you can do this but you have no need to.... how do you know you can??

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
toppervte33h said:
hang on .... If you as you say you can do this but you have no need to.... how do you know you can??
Ok, hands up, I confess, I am relying on the manual. :mad: As it has been accurate for everything I wish to do I ASSUME it will be accurate when it says you can. What I will do, as soon as I have some spare time, is record a coded channel without the card in, then play it back as per instructions, I will post here with the results.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Will look forward to that John, I am curious about this one.

John T

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK, deep breath, here goes. Without realising I have been playing and decoding recorded items. When listing archived items, prior to playing there is a column, which may or may not contain a $ sign, this is the Scrambled Item. If the $ is green then it has been descrambled as recorded, if Yellow it is recorded scrambled, if half and half then both. Now if recording live a scrambled channel then there is no picture (just a blank screen) except that if (like me) you use subtitles then the subtitles are displayed. If you record delayed than you have no way of telling if it is scrambled or not until you select Archive at a later date and read the $ information.
As regards PIP, you cannot Pip 2 scrambled channels at the same time. Though,of course you could PIP, say, BBC1 and Channel Five say.
Hope that answers the questions.
I would like to add that up to press I have found this Topfield TF5010PVR great, and would strongly recommend it.
Edit: just reread the original question, I do not know if one can use two Cams at the same time, though as there are 2 slots I asume so. If someone likes to give me a Dragon cam I will let you know! ;)