UK, snow coming - remember to feed the birds

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
For our UK members, with a period of cold weather promised, please make an effort to feed the birds in your garden, as they find it very difficult to locate food in snowy conditions.

If you don't already, you can buy suet balls in all pet shops and most supermarkets, these are high energy and help the small birds to survive this type of weather, they are easy to hang up on bushes and trees, even on fence posts. Porridge oats sprinkled on a snow free surfaces are great for Robins, Sparrows and Blackbirds, plus many kitchen scraps like bits of apple and small pieces of bread.

G

Doing well this year already:

Long Tailed Tits, Nuthatch, Blue/Coal/Willow/Great Tits, Sparrows

Greater Spotted Woodpecker, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Robin, Blackbird

Redstarts - big flock ground feeding a couple of weeks ago.

Heron in the fields yesterday. Buzzard likewise.

Little Owls in a nearby abandoned building.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
We get sparrows, blue tits, great tits, blackbirds, dunnocks & wagtails.
They seem to eat more than I do at late , lol ..since half our shopping is bird food. Nice to see and hear in the morning :)

G

satelliteman said:
We get sparrows, blue tits, great tits, blackbirds, dunnocks & wagtails.
They seem to eat more than I do at late , lol ..since half our shopping is bird food. Nice to see and hear in the morning :)

.............. apart from the Collared Doves/Wood Pigeons :-boom

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If you enjoy the birds in the garden then join the BTO Garden Birdwatch scheme

You log your weekly observations then submit them and the BTO can pick up long term variations in bird numbers.

Ive been doing it 8 or 9 years and in that time have noted a decrease in the numbers of chaffinch and an increase in spadgers (house sparrows). When we started we never saw spadgers here

In the garden we get sparrow, chaffinch, blue tit, coal tit, great tit, great spotted woodpecker, dunnock, wren, nuthatch, robin, long tailed tit, greenfinch & siskins occasionally

Overflying in the summer - buzzard, swift, swallow, and very occasionally in October - osprey!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
We have two rather large black chickens (Orpingtons ?)in our garden, courtesy of the neighbours and a lack of privet in the hedge.

As per Rais post, they eat better than I do, we feed them porridge oats, but they now peck on the conservatory door demanding the stuff before we wake up.

mountainman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
digital dish/freeview 80cm dish on astra28.2/amstrad drx550 f.t.a. no subcription to sky. fortec star lifetime ultra plus with fortec star h-h motor on 80cm dish, old prima pace on old 60cm dish used as a floater/various sats
My Location
wales
Hi All
Yes already do feed the birds, peanuts,mixed seed,fat balls and kitchen scraps, like most of you we get the same type of birds plus a regular visit from a sparrow hawk, just had a couple of bullfinches on our prunus last week, they come each year about now and strip of all the buds, we get very few flowers/blossom.
Make sure they have water available also, tried BTO bird watch but it got to time consuming as we seemed to be getting the same species and numbers.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Channel Hopper said:
We have two rather large black chickens (Orpingtons ?)in our garden, courtesy of the neighbours and a lack of privet in the hedge.

As per Rais post, they eat better than I do, we feed them porridge oats, but they now peck on the conservatory door demanding the stuff before we wake up.

You could make them disappear you know, the oven is a great hiding place...:cool:

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
They are far too big for that.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Good to hear a few of us are into feeding the birds.:)

I tried the BTO birdwatch and like mountainman, couldn't commit the the time, I do of course do the annual RSPB count.:)

@ rai uno, don't suppose you've managed to get any photos of the Little Owls, if so, would be nice posted on my bird forum.:)

G

rolfw said:
@ rai uno, don't suppose you've managed to get any photos of the Little Owls, if so, would be nice posted on my bird forum.:)

I could try, in due course. We are in blizzard conditions at present ..........

They are very shy indeed and thirty or forty metres is the closest we can get. That means that our Digital Camera will see them as indistinct blobs! So I don't hold out much hope.

I gather Bill Oddie is short of work right now ........................ :-shh

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Ah,the weather is there already then.:) They are quite shy, I've got a 500mm lens and haven't been able to get close enough to one for a picture.:) Nice to have them local to you though.:)

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
Great to know that there are so many "bird" people on this forum.

Mountainman, try feeding your bullfinches on sunflower seeds, and then they will leave your tree buds alone. They only eat those when there is nothing else available We have three (two cocks, one hen) that seem to be permanently attached to our seed feeder. We also get a Jay that visits and likes peanuts. To see such a large bird dangling from the feeder is quite comical.

My particular favourites are the long tailed tits. They always arrive mob handed - at least six of them, leave after about five minutes, and then don't appear again for an hour or two.

Our biggest problem is with grey squirrels - rats with fluffy tails. They have completely wrecked for plastic feeders, so I have to have all metal ones these days, which aren't cheap, but to survive their mauling.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I have the same problem irart, had to change all of my feeders, as the Squirrels were taking over the garden, only get the odd one here and there now.

I then unfortunately lost a couple of the birds like the Bullfinches, as they liked to feed from an old Sky minidish suspended under one of my feeders, but didn't like the new caged ones.

View attachment 19857

Here's one of my cage feeders, the grid is too small for all but the small birds. . . . . . . . Well apart from greedy juvenile Starlings. :-rofl2 Took them quite a while to get back out.:)

View attachment 19858

Attachments

• Pair_of_Bullfinches.jpg
    Pair_of_Bullfinches.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 43
  • caged2.jpg
    caged2.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 37

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
We have problems with the tree rats wrecking the bird feeders too. Not just plastic ons - the gnaw through the steel mesh of the peanut feeder!

satpro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD
My Location
UK
Just got back home no snow here yet but yesterday i put up a bird seed holder with seeds penuts and a bird house you will see it when i upload the photos of the pole i put in the ground for the dish it is right next to it

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Analoguesat said:
We have problems with the tree rats wrecking the bird feeders too. Not just plastic ons - the gnaw through the steel mesh of the peanut feeder!

Set up traps to kill them (assuming they are the american grey) then eat the little b*ggers on a barbecue in the garden to show them you mean business... :-Guill

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Here's my Robin scouting for breakfast this morning.:)

Attachments

• robin_P2022036.jpg
    robin_P2022036.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 29

satpro

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD
My Location
UK
Nice photo rolf any one know how i upload photos to this forum i have tried but all it says is the photo is to big

G

I had that same query a few days ago: Max. allowed size is about 450Kb, so download a lovely little application called Pixresizer and all will be well!

Have a look at this useful Sticky about Uploading :)