Up to date howtos

4ll4N

Reaction score
Got a DM8000 coming soon so I've read all the stickies and howtos but I'd like some kind of reassurance that what I'm about to do is right.

I used to own a 7000 (now dead due to failed repair attempt) so have been there before but I'm kind of confused as to how people flash the 8000 now. It seems if you want to use the Nabilosat image you have to flash the pure image straight to the box as opposed to USB stick, then install to USB or card.
On the other hand, if you want to use Gemini, you can flash to USB with flashwizard... So which is it? I always thought flashing the box itself wasn't a good idea but now I'm confused.

Once image is installed, will I have to manually download / install anything else to get things running (c*ms/k*ys/commercial DVD playback/etc) or will I have access to plugins through the DB interface?

What is the second stage bootloader? What's it for? Do I need it?

I'd also love to have your opinion on Gemini vs Nabilosat.

It would be great to have an up to date howto about this since the idiot guides are all 2 years old or more so thanx in advance for your help. :)

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
ok, this is what my mate did with his 8000.

1. set up the network on his box

2. Held down the down key on the front of the box (i think it is the down key) until it said *stop* on the oled screen and downloaded nabilosat pure flash.

3. Next went to the web interface and installed the flash image into flash memory.

4. Replaced nabilosat pure flash for nabilosat black hole in the flash memory

5. set up the network connection on black hole

6. installed required emulators and configs

7. set up relevant port forwards on his router

8. done

The dvd/media player plugins are part of the image as default

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You'll still need to install an emu (cam) and a key updater if you plan to use keys. Port forwarding is only needed if you're card sharing.

I've not been able to add any 800/ 8000 how-to posts to the Idiot's Guide because I don't have one...

The Idiot's Guide has been updated more than two years ago- the thread start date may be old but the Index is here, last post was two weeks ago :)

4ll4N

Reaction score
Thank you both for the info.
Box is up and running with latest Nabilo image. FTA channels ok on Hotbird and Astra but not oo sure what I'm supposed to download now.
Tried a couple of plugins (Scam, keys and key updater availabe on Nabilo) but it doesn't seem to help.
Anymore advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

4ll4N

Reaction score
After more reading I finally get that keys alone are no longer a solution and card sharing is the way to go. However, even though I have a sly subscription, I'm still using the original box as I have 1 tuner only in my dbox and A and B are connected to A and B on a monoblock LNB pointing to Hotbird and Astra... So had to keep sly+ box going.
So my question is, are there any people out there willing to share their cards for free or maybe a small fee with people who don't have other cards?

Cheers!