chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Switzerland's self-styled 'Rocket Man' has completed his first public flight with jet-powered wings strapped to his back.

Former fighter pilot Yves Rossy flew for five minutes at an altitude of around 8,200ft, reports the Daily Telegraph.

Mr Rossy pilot jumped from a plane and plummeted towards the earth, before his fall turned to a glide and he ignited the four small jet engines.

Once under power and using a lever to control the fuel, he had the freedom to soar where he chose.

Clearly enjoying his first public flight, at speeds of up to 186mph, Mr Rossy tipped his wings, flipped onto his back then levelled out again, performing a 360-degree roll.

Unlike Icaraus, the Greek mythological figure who flew too close to the sun and did not live to tell the tale, the 48-year-old landed safely using a parachute.

"This flight was excellent," he said afterwards. "It's like a second skin. If I turn to the left, I fly left. If I nudge to the right, I go right."

Now he is planning an even greater challenge - to fly across the Channel~

It has always been Mr Rossy's ambition to fly freely, but it has taken four years of working on his jet design for it to become reality.

[TUBE]B9JAk-WPZkk[/TUBE]​

Source: ananova

Attachments

• 1329219.jpg
    1329219.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 10