Upgrading from TD110 to Gibertini125

Fredrik M

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 125 dish, Inverto Black Ultra single aimed at 28.2 E, built in Philips TV receiver
Triax 110 aimed at Telstar 12 (15 W)
My Location
Landvetter (15 km E of Gothenburg), Sweden
St1 and bema, what puzzles me is that I do get good reception on 11024H (BBC4 HD etc, I assume that it is from 2G?), while I am struggling with 11053 H (ITV Wales HD etc). Should't the reception of these two transponders be similar? Sorry bema, I did not quite understand your comment. No signal at 11053H? When I used the TD110 for 28.2 E, I never had any problems with Ch4 or ITV HD, while I was struggling with the BBC HD-channels (particularly those from 2E). I get nothing from the 11068V, 11097V and 11127V, despite carefully adjusting the skew (to avoid interference from European beam H transponders) and that my strong signals from 11024 shows that the dish gets a sufficient share from 2g. I am no quite sure that I have gotten it right, but it seems like long cable runs tend to have a more significant negative impact on higher frequencies. I will try a shorter cable from the receiver to the lnb through the window during the weekend.

A

archive10

St1 and bema, what puzzles me is that I do get good reception on 11024H (BBC4 HD etc, I assume that it is from 2G?), while I am struggling with 11053 H (ITV Wales HD etc). Should't the reception of these two transponders be similar? Sorry bema, I did not quite understand your comment. No signal at 11053H? When I used the TD110 for 28.2 E, I never had any problems with Ch4 or ITV HD, while I was struggling with the BBC HD-channels (particularly those from 2E). I get nothing from the 11068V, 11097V and 11127V, despite carefully adjusting the skew (to avoid interference from European beam H transponders) and that my strong signals from 11024 shows that the dish gets a sufficient share from 2g. I am no quite sure that I have gotten it right, but it seems like long cable runs tend to have a more significant negative impact on higher frequencies. I will try a shorter cable from the receiver to the lnb through the window during the weekend.
Yes BBC4 HD is on 2G and H transponder just as ITV Wales is.
Difficult to say why you should have different experience receiving these.

But if your cable was a problem, then surely both would be problematic, as they are only a few MHz apart on the same satellite on the same polarity??

Nevertheless, modern digital transmission is often a question of 1 or 0, meaning that in theory, with any channel you would have no way of knowing if you had a bare minimum signal, or if it was booming in with lots of headroom (carrier/noise ratio). In your case, your BBC4HD reception could be *just* above the watermark, whereas the ITV4Wales was *just* below, causing non-reception.

Of course you should check with a different cable, but what would be much better is a sat-meter to measure absolute levels and BER. This would show if there is a real difference between the two; you might have interference or something else disturbing your reception.

Without such measures, however, you can do things like:
- Change cable, and verify problem is still there
- Change LNB, and verify problem is still there
- Change receiver, and verify problem is still there

The key to good reception is to ensure good C/N ration. Absolute signal strength is secondary, if you have a weak, but tip-top-quality signal, you will be laughing all the way. Alternative of strong but crap signal will be of no use to anyone.

Cable length is much more about absolute signal strength than about signal quality. Unless you have waveguide leaks (points where electromagnetic interference will disturb you rsignal), C/N ratio should remain more or less intact after 25 meters of cable.

What I am trying to say is that unless you have 100+ meters of cable, it is (most likely) not the length of your cabling that makes a difference. Instead, it is the C/N ration of the signal, and secondly the quality of decoded signal.

What happens if you try to align (max) your dish on 11053H? Can you get a decent signal there? And then what happens to the other transponders?

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
St1 and bema, what puzzles me is that I do get good reception on 11024H (BBC4 HD etc, I assume that it is from 2G?), while I am struggling with 11053 H (ITV Wales HD etc). Should't the reception of these two transponders be similar? Sorry bema, I did not quite understand your comment. No signal at 11053H?........

Just to say that where we are located the LNB skew is the defining difference......as you say 'what puzzles me is that I do get good reception on 11024H'... but the same here and unless the skew is correct we do not receive 11053/11068/11097/11127 etc. Altered nothing else be it elevation/declination....LNB skew brings those transponders in. Using 1.8m PF.

Best of luck respect-048.gif

bema

Reaction score
Website
www.sm6muy.se
My Satellite Setup
TV server: Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
TvHeadend 4.1-1355
TBS6904 (Quad DVB-S/S2)
Dish: TD110, Inverto black ultra quattro
TBS6205 (Quad DVB-T/T2)
Ant: UHF 100 El Triax, dir N
Client: Kodi v14.2 etc
My Location
Sweden
St1 and bema, what puzzles me is that I do get good reception on 11024H (BBC4 HD etc, I assume that it is from 2G?), while I am struggling with 11053 H (ITV Wales HD etc). Should't the reception of these two transponders be similar? Sorry bema, I did not quite understand your comment. No signal at 11053H? .

What I meant was, 11053 did use 3/4 FEC before. Now it uses the "normal" FEC, 2/3 as the other DVB-S2 transponders use. With FEC 3/4 you need higher input signal to the receiver. At least 1 dB. My TD110 is too small so I could not lock to that TP. Now, when it changed back to FEC 2/3 I don't have any problems. It seems that you have issues with vertical transponders. Rotate the LNB 90 degrees and change the settings in the receiver, V to H and H to V. If you get better reception on the vertical transponders after the change there is a difference between V and H in the LNB. I have that also for my BU Quattro. If it was ok with your "old" smaller dish it's even more strange. Have checked the LNB arm ? Moved it up and down if possible ? Sometimes it's not in the correct position. If you look at my graphs, I don't have 24/7 reception. I loose 10847 V around noon some days and also 11023 H some days even in good weather. But in the evening it's ok most of the time if it doesn't rain heavily.

bema

Reaction score
Website
www.sm6muy.se
My Satellite Setup
TV server: Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
TvHeadend 4.1-1355
TBS6904 (Quad DVB-S/S2)
Dish: TD110, Inverto black ultra quattro
TBS6205 (Quad DVB-T/T2)
Ant: UHF 100 El Triax, dir N
Client: Kodi v14.2 etc
My Location
Sweden
I see that there are some Europe beam TPs close the the UK beam TPs. 11082H, 11112H, 11141H. Maybe your BU single is not so good in the aspect of cross-polarization ? Now you have higher input signal levels when you changed the dish to a bigger one...I have one BU Quad if you want to borrow and test ?