Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Morning all from sunny Somerset,

We have a relatively old but functional Sky HD box from 2010 (Amstrad 890 something or other). It's getting a bit sluggish and we are constantly fighting for space or its tiny 500gb drive, so was thinking about upgrading it to the 2Tb model.

My question is whether I can transfer our recordings from one to the other. I know there's a program called ExPVR which can apparently do this but will the new box still play the recordings from encrypted channels with the original card? I get the card paired to the new box.

Also, is the drive in my 890 box SATA or IDE? And does ExPVR work with SATA/IDE to USB converters?

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
All the drives in the later HD models are all SATA connections, Unsure on ExPVR but once transferred and you pair your card to your new box everything should work as before

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Were the earlier HD boxes IDE connection ? I thought that stopped with the Sky + models

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
i ripped a few HD's from the first Thompson HD Receivers and these had a Dual IDE/SATA interface only the SATA connection was used

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Does the box still work with the new encryption? Would hate to see all the work for nothing!

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I haven't noticed any missing channels on mine and it's still a supported model. Bug ridden updates are still being sent to the box.

Quick question on models... I DRX895W and DRX895WL - is there any difference between them other than the L one being the Lite model with some missing connections at the back?

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
I haven't noticed any missing channels on mine and it's still a supported model. Bug ridden updates are still being sent to the box.

Quick question on models... I DRX895W and DRX895WL - is there any difference between them other than the L one being the Lite model with some missing connections at the back?

The L (Lite) model removes both the modem and the Phono Composite connections

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Thanks digi. Ordered DRX895WL - will see what it's like.