upgrading to 1.4m dish...in windy area??

hedge

My Satellite Setup
Soon heading for the nearest skip.
My Location
SW Algarve. Portugal
Hi guys, I have managed with a free (always my favourite model!) & flimsy 1m dish for months now using a FTA receiver. I thought I'd treat myself to a larger dish, mainly to get Film4 & ITVs 2 3&4, but also to get a dish that doesn't wobble in the wind without extra bracketery!
Do I go for a strong looking 1.33 steel dish from Marco Electronics (Portimao), or a 1.4M ali dish?
We get strong s.e. winds at times, I just wonder if an ali dish will cope... & as I am not using a sky receiver, is the extra 0.7m worth it?
Thxs:)

hedge

My Satellite Setup
My Location
SW Algarve. Portugal
Help. mods, please!:)

Sorry, I think I should have posted in the Astra 2D fringe section?
I only just noticed it, & can't see a delete button for my thread??.

staffspeted

My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 driven by Supermount SMR 1224 mount.
V-Box 11
Triple Dragon Linux Receiver.
Vantage VT-X221TSCI Blindscan Receiver.
Diablo Wireless cam and base.
42" Panasonic Plasma.
50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma
Lots of boys toys!
My Location
Herts , UK
Would go for an Andrews (Channel Master) with Andrews fixtures and fittings myself...very wind resistant based around a 3" pole.
Regards Pete

hedge

My Satellite Setup
My Location
SW Algarve. Portugal
Thxs, but I think (?) I am stuck dealing with the local algarve stealers?- these things are not cheap in the post!:) -- Plenty of FTA receivers & 85cm dish packages for 80€, but as the larger dishes are for expats I guess the price gets a lot larger too:)

I just noticed on a thread from last September that Rato said a 1.2M dish was about 50€.........whereas the one I am looking at is 1.33m & is 120€ without a bracket.....seems a lot to me for a steel pressing.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It isn't necessarily what the dish is made of, it is the quality of the manufacture, plus the matching of the LNB and feedhorn.

PS. Moved the thread for you. :)

hedge

My Satellite Setup
My Location
SW Algarve. Portugal
Thxs rolfw:)

My concern about the ali dish was how it would be after a gale; the gusts can be vicious here in the hills.

We may have moved on as he subject of rain, fringe & prime focus was discussed at this think-tank of tree-dwelling expats this morning.....Maybe it should be another thread .....hope so.....