Urgent help needed please for HDD DVD recorder

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
hi. :D

Urgent help needed please. I bought a 160GB HDD DVD recorder for 90 quid online (in the UK) and it has a major problem with it.

I could return it as faulty but I will keep it if I can fix the very annoying black and white test bars that are there. No picture but two vertical test bars, one black and one white. The machine appears to be working in every other aspect apart from that.

I have tried everything to get rid of them. Any ideas how I can access the secret menu to reset the machine. Thanks.

The machine is a Akura ASW8411-160.

Cheers. :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Give them a ring on monday _http://www.akura.uk.com/customer_support.htm

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I rang them TODAY, but they'd never heard of the problem. I know for sure now, I am sending it back. :mad:

Thanks anyway. :)

Reaction score
Website
uplinkservices.com
My Satellite Setup
DVB/DTT/S2
My Location
UK
does it have a small black switch next to the aerial input and output on the left side rear panel? sometimes they have one to turn on a black screen with 2 white vertical bars to assist tuning in the tv.....just a thought.:confused

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Uplink_Services said:
does it have a small black switch next to the aerial input and output on the left side rear panel? sometimes they have one to turn on a black screen with 2 white vertical bars to assist tuning in the tv.....just a thought.:confused

That's EXACTLY what it is...the test signal. But there is no switch to err switch it off. I was thinking about taking the cover off and having a quick look inside. Like you say there is usually a switch to flick this thing off.

It's also an unusual thing to have on such a modern piece of equiptment, don't you think? It's connected via a scart so why the need for a test signal...that's usually on analogue where you're tuning it in on the TV.

I was very annoyed with the helpline too. The guy who answered the phone was hopeless.:-Nooo

Thanks all the same. I will take a peek inside and let you know. ;)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Nah, I took the cover off, looked inside, and no joy. I cannot see anything that would switch the test signal off.

I am stumped.:confused If anyone has any possible solutions before next Monday morning, when I will be returning it in the post, I'd be grateful.

Thanks. :)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
How have you currently got it connected?
Are you using the RF input/output, the scart connectors or the super video connectors?
What happens when you press the set up button on the remote?
There is an online manual, if that's of any help:
_http://akura.uk.com/Manuals/DVD/recorders/ASW8411-160%20IB/ASW8411-160IB.pdf

I have experienced this problem, with video recorders, but once you let the automatic channel tuning take place the test bars disappear.

I also had one video recorder where the only way to enter the RF tuner settings was to hold in the power button, on the receiver, for 30 seconds.
If technical support aren't aware of this problem I assume it is most likely faulty and should be replaced.
If you haven't already, try using just the RF input and output and see if it goes into automatic channel tuning mode.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Hi, thanks for that. I will try one final time. And I'll get back in touch. :)

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
Mickha, m8, I WANNA THANK YOU. :D :D

Thanks m8, you solved it. ;) I followed the things you said, and held down the power button for 15 seconds and the bars went off. :D Works, m8, but no thanks to the manual or their telephone help line.

Thanks once again Mickha, m8. All the best. ;) :D

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Strange, as that was a problem I had with a very cheap video recorder, you would have assumed that these problems would have been resolved in new DVD recorders.
Happy to hear it's now working and we all look forward to a review of how good the machine is.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
It's pretty good, once you get passed the test bars. I will keep you informed. Thanks again. :)