USALS weird problem- only on 2 satellites

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
Windy & Wet Atlantic Coast
I have a pretty new motor STAB HH120, which is approximately 1 year old and am using Gemini 2.7 on DB7000 in the flash.
Well, since I successfully moved the mount over the weekend without falling off the roof I felt adventurous and decided to use USALS for satellite positioning.
All works fine, I can track over 25 satellites between 45E and 45W and tune into some really exotic channels.
Strangely I cannot reach two satellites 23.5E and 26.0E, both are approximately one degree off to the East. The neighbouring 19.2E and 28.2E are fine.
I checked satellites.xml and the registry i.e. Enigma config and they are correctly stating the two troublesome positions. Driving motor to 0, which is supposed to reset motor's internal counter did not help.
I am confused by this, should I blame the motor? Perhaps somebody in this forum had a similar experience.

I am completely lost there.

CD

ta3as

Reaction score
Hi @skydreamer,
Could you please explain the steps for configuration of usals mode. I have a 7020 but i never succeed. I think you are lucky, because you have problem with only two satellites. I have problem with all satellites :-)
Your help will be appreciated.

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB8000HD, 90 mm cooling fan, 2TB Seagate LP HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Smart Twin Titanium 0.2dB, Stab HH120 USALS 45E-45W, Triax 120, SkyStar II HD
My Location
Hi ta3as,

I have got the USALS working essentially in 3 steps- firstly made sure that the mount is nearly perfectly vertical, then found three satellites in the middle and at each end of the orbit using simply controls for W-E movement and made sure that the motor is alligned with the orbit. Now the last step was probably the most difficult- I had to correct my coordinates in DBox to compensate for imperfect vertical mount. W-E correction is done in reverse i.e. when you find the satellites after navigating to the East you need to shift your position to the West. N-S direction is to compensate for too flat/sharp orbit; you need to shift your position to the N/S respectively. After a few iterations you should find the right coordinates that will suit your installation. One more hint: if you need to navigate at both ends of the orbit in the same direction for example to the West then you should compensate W-E, if it is in reverse directions for inside corrections your orbit is too flat, move to the N, outside move to the S.

Skydreamer

DCG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dm 7000 and 7020
cas 3
blue ice cam
sv card
redlight card
seca cam
reality cam
opos 1.03 and 1.05
lynksys router
gold cards
fun cards
1.1 mtr trix dish
0.3 sharp lnb
hh100 moter
xplus tv and inxtc card
s_x view +
ceribro card
My Location
just above the earth
the invercom could be your problem m8 i had one and bined it there shite

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't like USALS, fine for easy to find satellites, but anything which requires a bit of fine tuning is hard work, particularly with the Stab/Dreambox combination.

Apart from the relatively easy initial setup, there is no real ongoing advantage to USALS and some definite disadvantages.

ta3as

Reaction score
skydreamer said:
Hi ta3as,

I have got the USALS working essentially in 3 steps- firstly made sure that the mount is nearly perfectly vertical, then found three satellites in the middle and at each end of the orbit using simply controls for W-E movement and made sure that the motor is alligned with the orbit. Now the last step was probably the most difficult- I had to correct my coordinates in DBox to compensate for imperfect vertical mount. W-E correction is done in reverse i.e. when you find the satellites after navigating to the East you need to shift your position to the West. N-S direction is to compensate for too flat/sharp orbit; you need to shift your position to the N/S respectively. After a few iterations you should find the right coordinates that will suit your installation. One more hint: if you need to navigate at both ends of the orbit in the same direction for example to the West then you should compensate W-E, if it is in reverse directions for inside corrections your orbit is too flat, move to the N, outside move to the S.

Skydreamer
Hi,
I'm asking for the configuration steps of the Dreambox. I'm using Stab hh120. I want to use usals or gotoXX mode at Dreambox. How can i configure my dreambox?

Tnx...

skydreamer

Frequent flyer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ta3as said:
Hi,
I'm asking for the configuration steps of the Dreambox. I'm using Stab hh120. I want to use usals or gotoXX mode at Dreambox. How can i configure my dreambox?

Tnx...

It is the part that I refer to as the last step.