• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

USB to RS232 problem?

My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DB 7000S with 120 GB HD
My Location
Norway
Hi forum,
I have DB-7000S which I have been using successully until I have swithed from PC (with RS232) to Notebok (without RS232).
As I do not have RS232 serial port on my HP-Notebook , I have purchased "USB to Serial" convertor with integrated cable from Prolific Technology Inc and installed the driver (from vendor)
I have installed the conventor according to specification.
When checking (system->hardware->device manager->ports) I can see "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (Com17)"
and when looking at the properties, the device is clasified as "working properly"
1) After starting the "DreamUp" I can find and select the new Serial Port: Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (Com17)
2) After activating the "connect" button, the message" connection prepared-now switch on the dreambox!" appears.
3) When I than switch ON the Dream Box , nothing happens, No "Job" is processed.

Lan communication seems to work well as I can ping the IP address of dream box and get it confirmed.

Can anyone give me a hint what can be wrong ?(or more correctly what am I doing wrong?) How can I check that the serial communication?

Thanks
FlyFisher

moosegoose

bog standard
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
i found a good thread on alsat about usb to rs232 also theres a video tuturial.hope this is some help

My Satellite Setup
technomate 1500 patched
My Location
ireland
flyfisher said:
Hi forum,
I have DB-7000S which I have been using successully until I have swithed from PC (with RS232) to Notebok (without RS232).
As I do not have RS232 serial port on my HP-Notebook , I have purchased "USB to Serial" convertor with integrated cable from Prolific Technology Inc and installed the driver (from vendor)
I have installed the conventor according to specification.
When checking (system->hardware->device manager->ports) I can see "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (Com17)"
and when looking at the properties, the device is clasified as "working properly"
1) After starting the "DreamUp" I can find and select the new Serial Port: Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (Com17)
2) After activating the "connect" button, the message" connection prepared-now switch on the dreambox!" appears.
3) When I than switch ON the Dream Box , nothing happens, No "Job" is processed.

Lan communication seems to work well as I can ping the IP address of dream box and get it confirmed.

Can anyone give me a hint what can be wrong ?(or more correctly what am I doing wrong?) How can I check that the serial communication?

Thanks
FlyFisher
did you solve your problem with usb convertor

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The best advice is don't use an RS232 to USB adapter.

There have been a few posts in the past where members have had problems when trying to use them to flash a Dreambox.