using a Freesat receiver with Sky-installed dish

Paul Danon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky but hoping to move to Freesat
My Location
Surrey, England
We're with Sky and want to move to Freesat. Our Humax Foxsat HDR worked fine through a communal installation in Buckinghamshire. Now that it's connected to our Sky dish down here in Surrey, the TV output is fine but the programme-guide takes longer and longer to download, resulting in what's effectively a system-hang. We've done all the restarting and reformatting, and our software is current.

Humax say it could be that the dish isn't positioned correctly to get Freesat; Sky engineers reportedly do it differently. My aerial-contractor disagrees and says that the positioning for Sky and Freesat is indentical.
  • have other folks had this problem with slow EPG download?
  • who is right about where the dish points?
Thanks to all.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Same satellite, same alignment, a well aligned dish on Astra 28.2 East will serve Sky and freesat equally well.

Paul Danon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Surrey, England
Most helpful. I wonder about the slow EPG download?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
It's always been slow.

Far quicker to use the cached version obtainable by pressing Schedule then Red. That's instant and is almost invariably accurate.

Paul Danon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Surrey, England
All very helpful. The EPG download stalls the whole receiver and you have to reboot. The aerial-guy suggests the dish may have been blown around.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
^^^^ Never press the Guide button - as stated, use Schedule then Red instead.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Most receivers have a signal strength meter that showns signal strength and quality. If your receiver has one that may well answer your question regarding dish alignment.

I've had to correct some installations made by Skys so called engineers and beleive me some have been shocking regarding neatness and alignment. I prefer to call employees of Sky technicians, calling them engineers is just offensive and incorrect.

Nano