Using ADSL Modem/Router and another Router

A

Archive7

Here is the situation.
My relative has smart TV and VU+ receiver about 8 meters away from the ADSL Modem/Router.
The VU+ gets internet using a USB WiFi adapter and the TV needs a special LG WiFi dongle in order to connect to the internet, but the dongle is not cheap. I tried different WiFi adapters without luck.
Ideally they should extend the landline cable by 8 meters so that it would be in close proximity to the TV and receiver and then use Ethernet cables instead of WiFi connection.
This way the USB connector on the VU+ is freed and can be used for other uses like a WiFi keyboard.
But when they asked the landline company about the cost, they told them about 50 Pounds, which is way too much.
Would it be possible to use an additional WiFi router sitting next to the TV and the VU+ receiver without connecting a LAN cable physically between the ADSL Modem/Router and the new router?
And then use two of the Ethernet ports to connect to the TV and VU+?

A

archive10

Here is the situation.
My relative has smart TV and VU+ receiver about 8 meters away from the ADSL Modem/Router.
The VU+ gets internet using a USB WiFi adapter and the TV needs a special LG WiFi dongle in order to connect to the internet, but the dongle is not cheap. I tried different WiFi adapters without luck.
Ideally they should extend the landline cable by 8 meters so that it would be in close proximity to the TV and receiver and then use Ethernet cables instead of WiFi connection.
This way the USB connector on the VU+ is freed and can be used for other uses like a WiFi keyboard.
But when they asked the landline company about the cost, they told them about 50 Pounds, which is way too much.
Would it be possible to use an additional WiFi router sitting next to the TV and the VU+ receiver without connecting a LAN cable physically between the ADSL Modem/Router and the new router?
And then use two of the Ethernet to connect to the TV and VU+?
Why ate they not just using a 10 meter ethernet cable plugged into the router, and then into the box?

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Yes. There are dedicated bridges but for some reason they are more expensive than routers.
Else, find dd-wrt compatible router, reflash it and the dd-wrt software lets you set it up as a client bridge.

Edit: Replaced "repeater" with "client"

Last edited:
A

Archive7

Why ate they not just using a 10 meter ethernet cable plugged into the router, and then into the box?
Tried that. They didn't like it.
Besides I would need two LAN cables one for the VU+ and the second one to go to the smart TV.

A

Archive7

Yes. There are dedicated bridges but for some reason they are more expensive than routers.
Else, find dd-wrt compatible router, reflash it and the dd-wrt software lets you set it up as a repeater bridge.
Thanks. Can you give me a model number please?
I have a dd-wrt router lying around somewhere. But I would rather buy a new part instead.

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
I hope I didn't mislead you, you want client bridge. Use repeater if you want a second wifi network as well. Read the instructions and don't trust me. :oops:
I can't recommend a model, I have no idea what's out there.
Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I am using bridging for a long time. There are lots of cheap routers (something like 10-15 EUR) which, without even installing alternative software, support bridging. For example there is screenshot of the router interface via which my neighbor takes my internet. Router model is in right-upper corner.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_308 May. 09 15.51.jpg
    ScreenHunter_308 May. 09 15.51.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 7

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
For example, 2 routers under 15 EUR. Both of them support bridging.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_309 May. 09 16.00.jpg
    ScreenHunter_309 May. 09 16.00.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 7

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Can you not use a simple network switch ..which can be daisy chained if need be ..(assuming you have Lan ports on the rear of the router)
and pick up a CAT5e cable ready made of about 10 mtrs from ebay ..
I'd guess the whole lot would leave change out of £20
I have network switches chained around my house ...so anything in any room can connect to my ADSL router ..
I also have WiFi but rarely us it ..
Prefering cabled connections ..
Greater security ..and faster speeds..and less chance or errors

Last edited:
A

Archive7

Can you not use a simple network switch ..which can be daisy chained if need be ..(assuming you have Lan ports on the rear of the router)
and pick up a CAT5e cable ready made of about 10 mtrs from ebay ..
They don't want to use a LAN cable between the ADSL Modem/Router and the second router.
Or am I missing something in your suggestion?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Network switch.jpg
Not sure I'm understanding buddy ..
Not suggesting using 2 routers ..simply a 4 port switch connected to the router ..
Obviously this _would_ require a short cable connection ...then the long cable from the switch to the intended target equipment .
OR ..long cable from router to switch to locate this closer to the target ..that way 4 devices could be plugged into the network in the target room..
Is there a problem of distance that cable cannot be used ?
If it has to be wifi ..there are wireless ..network repeaters ..tho these are more difficult to set up.

Last edited:
A

Archive7

Not sure I'm understanding buddy ..
Not suggesting using 2 routers ..simply a 4 port switch connected to the router ..
Obviously this _would_ require a short cable connection ...then the long cable from the switch to the intended target equipment ..
Is there a problem of distance that cable cannot be used ?
If it has to be wifi ..there are wireless ..network repeaters ..tho these are more difficult to set up.
They don't want to use a LAN cables between the ADSL Modem/Router and the intended targets.
The ADSL Modem/Router already has 4 Ethernet ports which I can connect to four targets 8 meter away, but this is not an option.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Why no cable ??
This would be the easy as in the picture..
If they dont want cables at all then there is no option but to buy dongles for each target device..

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
It will not look good running four 10 meters LAN cables in a sitting room.
Women don't like cables in general. Need I say more?
bloody women ..
Dont they have any carpet ?
pop it under the carpet
I used the cavities in my wall ..or crawled under the floorboards and routed my cables that way ..
lol
but I know what you mean..
Grrrr

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
66°East to 60°West.
2x VboxII AZ-EL
My Location
UK
Without being too sexist they do have their uses...
Indeed they do Paul ...but to refuse to allow one cat cable run descretly between 2 rooms ..makes me glad I live alone..
lol

A

Archive7

Indeed they do Paul ...but to refuse to allow one cat cable run descretly between 2 rooms ..makes me glad I live alone..
lol
Why do you think mobile phones are so popular with women?
Because there are no cables.
(well except if they want to listen to some music using earphones)
Anyway, thanks for taking the trouble to make the drawing.
The switch is a good solution as well, but for the same price of the switch I can buy the TL-WR841N router,

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I run my CAT6 cable from inside my man-cave (where the primary router is) through the loft, outside and into the living room. WiFi is OK for phones and stuff but it doesn't cut the mustard at all for more demanding applications.