Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hispasat + Hotbird + Astra
DM800HD + DM500HD
MacBook Pro
My Location
Amstelveen - NL
Hi All,

I have a sky+ box from the time I was living in the UK. The white model. Where I live now, I have a satellite dish pointed to hispasat. My question is: can I use sky+ box to watch the free channels on this satellite? And if not, which satellite should I point the dish to in order to watch only the free channels? I've tried to search on the forum for some information about this issue, but could not find it, so excuse me if this was already discussed before.

Thank you very much.

JS

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Hello.

Your User Profile stills shows you living in the UK ................

As for using a UK Sky+ box, I'm afraid the news is not good.

Because the Software is designed to load Channel data and EPG from a single Default Transponder in normal use, it isn't going to find the correct data other than when dealing with 28E.

You can, however, use it by the convoluted and not at all user friendly Add Channels/Other Channels feature, but even then you are limited to Channels with Symbol Rates 0f 27500 or 22000.

And you'd need to search each Transponder on Hispasat separately, which will take ages.

And you won't have a workable EPG

And you'll have no Recording facility.

Difficult.

Unworkable.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
All transponders on Hispasat here:-

_http://www.lyngsat.com/hispa.html

You can check which ones have symbol rates compatible with the Sky box and give it a try.

OK for a quick play, but generic FTA Digital satellite receivers are pretty cheap anyway, best to just opt for a new box really.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hispasat + Hotbird + Astra
DM800HD + DM500HD
MacBook Pro
My Location
Amstelveen - NL
Thanks for your answers guys. Seems like I should have sold it while I was there.

I've noticed the location on my profile is not updated Tivu, but for some reason it doesn't allow me to change. It says I don't have authorization for that! :)

Thanks once again.

JS