batpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WinXP SP2
DreamBox500S
My Location
kuwait
Hi Everyone,

I have a strange problem. my DM500s after searching Hotbird is finding Vertical channels and Ignoring Horizental channels.

About my LNBS and Disec settings , I have 3 Satellite Dishes as following :

1 - Intelsat 902
2 - Hotbird
3 - Holding Badr/Nilesat together on Same Sat. Dish

I have 1 Disec Switch with 4 ports. so Since I have 4 Sats I used the options 4 Satellite Via DiseqC OPT A/B

and Placed the Sats as following in the list :

1 - Hotbird - Diseqc AA
2 - Nilesat - * AB
3 - Badr Sat - * BA
4 - Intelsat 902 - * BB

Then I did search and Horizental Channels on Hotbird were not found . networks like Absat , SRG Boquet , RTL (Zdf,Rtl) .

so I went back to Satellite configuration and Changed it to Userdefined and Now at this screen I have the setting as following :

Hotbird LNB/0 22Khz/Hi/Lo Voltage :H/V
Nilsat LNB/1 22Khz/Hi/Lo voltage : H/V
Badr LNB/2 22Khz Hi/Lo voltage H/V
Intelsat LNB/3 22Khz Hi/Lo Voltage H/v

For Hotibrd when I choose LNB 0 LOF/L is 09750 and LOF/H is 10600 and Threshold is 11700 and Increased voltage is not selected .

I loaded also satellite.xml and selected Hotbird and updated and then did a new search and still my DM500S is not showing me Horizental channels like Absat channels or SRG channels like SF2,TSI2 and others.

Can somebody tell me what is the problem exactly?

I used 2 other different types of Recievers with non-famous brand names like NHE and did a search on Hotbird and it showed me all V/H channels.

So why my DM500S is Unable to Show Horizental channels?

The strange thing is that when I choose 2 Satellite diseqC with A/B and I add only Hotbird and Nilesat after channel search it shows all Horizental and Vertical channels of Hotbird.

So why on 4 Satellites A/b It doesnt sees Horizental channels but on 2 Satellites A/B it sees the Horizental channels ?

any helps will be appreciated.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Do you have a universal LNB?

batpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WinXP SP2
DreamBox500S
My Location
kuwait
Yes Its Universal LNB

batpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WinXP SP2
DreamBox500S
My Location
kuwait
Another thing i noticed is when I go to Satfind and then Hotbird and I choose a Vertical frequency the signals are 90% but when i choose a H frequency from the dropdown list the signal is 56%

When I use my old reciever and I scan Hotbird it finds all H and V frequency channels. this means my LNB is fine but the problem is at somewhere in my satellite config in DM500S .

I am using Gemini but I dont know which version it is because when i bought it from the factory it came with Gemini installed on it by default.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I'm sort of guessing here as I've never had a problem or even looked at V vs H channels.

In Satfind just select a strong transponder that gives you a look, store the sat position and then do an automatic scan; it should matter whether you select a V or H transponder.

The 500s has a weak tuner; are the channels that you can get on another receiver but not the 500s weak signals?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
batpower, please update your profile to show the dishes size.
Your Hot Bird Dish size might be too small.

You can find out the Gemini version using the

mainmenu > Information > About...
It would show you at the bottom the Software Version.

If you don't have Gemini 4.0, I recommend to flash the latest image using only a Null Modem Cable and then do the scanning and hopefully your H problem might disappear.
Good Luck.

batpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WinXP SP2
DreamBox500S
My Location
kuwait
Yes my old reciever gives me very strong signal for both H and V frequency channels.

But in DM500S it's ignoring H frequency channels and when search is ended I dont see any of them found .

mhku said:
I'm sort of guessing here as I've never had a problem or even looked at V vs H channels.

In Satfind just select a strong transponder that gives you a look, store the sat position and then do an automatic scan; it should matter whether you select a V or H transponder.

The 500s has a weak tuner; are the channels that you can get on another receiver but not the 500s weak signaks?

batpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WinXP SP2
DreamBox500S
My Location
kuwait
Answering to : HB13DISH

My Dish Dize for Hotbird is 5.5Feet Size and my old reciever gets a very strong signal and So my DM500S gets a strong signal too but it finds only V frequencied channels and Ignores Horizontal. this is my main problem because there is alot of Good channels which are Horizontal.

I checked in "About" and the Software Version is :

release 3.6.0. 31-05-2007

Processor : STBx25xx.252MHz
Frontend : Satellite

Maybe updating the software to Gemini 4 Will solve this problem ?

If possible let me know the Files that I need to get and to upload to my reciever to Update it to Gemini 4 .

Thanks to everyone for the help.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I doubt Gemini 4 will make any difference but you can download it from i-have-a-dreambox.com

I guess it's something to do with your lnb settings:

For Hotibrd when I choose LNB 0 LOF/L is 09750 and LOF/H is 10600 and Threshold is 11700

but as I don't use a swicth I can't really help further

batpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WinXP SP2
DreamBox500S
My Location
kuwait
My Diseq Switch type is Version 2.0 . maybe this info gives more clues to experts to help me out with exact setting to use in my DM500S to get All H Frequency channels Fine .

I will try to setup Gemini 4.1 tonight.

batpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WinXP SP2
DreamBox500S
My Location
kuwait
More info about the Diseqc Switch that I use is at :

Attachments

• starsataj3.jpg
    starsataj3.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 101

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
batpower said:
Answering to : HB13DISH

My Dish Dize for Hotbird is 5.5Feet Size and my old reciever gets a very strong signal and So my DM500S gets a strong signal too but it finds only V frequencied channels and Ignores Horizontal. this is my main problem because there is alot of Good channels which are Horizontal.

I checked in "About" and the Software Version is :

release 3.6.0. 31-05-2007

Processor : STBx25xx.252MHz
Frontend : Satellite

Maybe updating the software to Gemini 4 Will solve this problem ?

If possible let me know the Files that I need to get and to upload to my reciever to Update it to Gemini 4 .

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Dish size is OK
Your software version is 3.6.0
I recommend to flash with the latest Gemini version anyway and then make a simple setup for only Hot Bird and then scan.
Disconnect all cables (LNB Coax, Scart, RCA, Ethernet) and connect only the Null Modem Cable between PC and 500S (shutdown both before making the connection)
You need the DreamUp file from the Dream Multimedia website and the latest Gemini image.
Flash with file with the *.img extension.

Make sure that when you scan to check (select) also the encrypted files, not only the FTA ones while doing the scan.
If you get all the missing H channels, then you know your system is OK and you can make a more complicated one.
Good Luck

member91040

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DISH TV,DIRECT DD+,
TATA SKY,HATHWAY,
NOKIA 9660S,
PCI SAT CARD TWINHAN NSS6, PAS7/10, ASIASAT3S, INSAT,INETEL SAT, EUROSTAR, DremBox, & Multi LNB'S
My Location
INDIA
Normal Diseqc Switch are 950-2150 MHZ.But yours is 2300 MHZ. May be some differance.

batpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WinXP SP2
DreamBox500S
My Location
kuwait
Thanks everyone for the reply. I guess the LNB is fine since my old reciever is able to search and to find all channels.

must be something with LNB setting inside DM. I will update and then will see what happenes .

zizo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
Centauri Switch Diseqc 2.0
Hotbird,Badr,Nilesat
My Location
Kuwait
Dear Batpower
i have same setup (take away the intelsat) and same problems, even the dreambox installers seem lost.

Funny thing is, dreambox was insatlled a month ago and with some fiddling they got it to work, it had to go back for some software updates and since they cannot remember the LNB config to get it to work.

have you been able to find out a working configuration?

Also, where can i find some working plugins for the dreambox

thanks, Z

batpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WinXP SP2
DreamBox500S
My Location
kuwait
zizo said:
Dear Batpower
i have same setup (take away the intelsat) and same problems, even the dreambox installers seem lost.

Funny thing is, dreambox was insatlled a month ago and with some fiddling they got it to work, it had to go back for some software updates and since they cannot remember the LNB config to get it to work.

have you been able to find out a working configuration?

Also, where can i find some working plugins for the dreambox

thanks, Z

Thanks for your reply. seems I am not the only one with this problem. Actually I have 2 DM500S at home , one at my room and one at my brother's room and we are both sharing same Satellite Dish located to Hotbird 13E and I have installed Dual Head LNB so signal can go for my brother and for me . so we are sharing same Dish and same LNB . at his room the channels never hang and I hardly see that Switch message that talks about there is no signal but at my room when I move from H to V or V to H channel it hangs so I had to make a boquet with all V channels in 1 group and all H channels in 1 group but even so still it hangs . when I return my DM500S to my brother room all channels work fine without hanging!! its really a big quiz for me to know why both DM500S that i have act like that when i bring them to my room.
someone told me that the DM500S may have poor TvTuner and this is the reason of hanging but if TvTuner was the problem then why both DMs are working fine in my brother's room but not in mine ? When i connect my old Korean reciever all H/V channels are working fine and signal is too strong without any problems . I guess I have to look for another Linux-based digital reciever .

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Have you tried swapping the LNB cables, just in case the LNB that goes to your box bight be faulty.
It might be easier to take your receiver to your brother's room and do the test.

zizo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
Centauri Switch Diseqc 2.0
Hotbird,Badr,Nilesat
My Location
Kuwait
i have looked at three different configurations on 3 different dreamboxes, none work for me

i have A centauri Diseqc 2.0 switch with BADR/Nilesat on same LNB (seems the standard in Kuwait) and hotbird on an other one.

I got Nilesat and hotbird to function fully, but still cannot see Badr. the good news is i will see someone next week who claims he can fix it. If so, i will publish full configuration here.

My "dreambox service provider" has poor connectivity it seems and the dremabox decoding hangs very often requiring a restart of the CamD.

Finally, would appreciate a link to a reliable site with DREAMBOX plugins (photo viewing, MP3 etc) any ideas??

thanks to all your feedback guyz, Zizo

batpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WinXP SP2
DreamBox500S
My Location
kuwait
HB13DISH said:
Have you tried swapping the LNB cables, just in case the LNB that goes to your box bight be faulty.
It might be easier to take your receiver to your brother's room and do the test.

The LNB that sends signal to my brother room and to my room is same LNB but it has 2 output so i take 1 to my room and 1 to my brother room. at his room everything is ok but with me channels hangs and i see the switch msg that talks about signal and I have to reboot my DM500S then the picture will appear. its very annoying to reboot and reboot and reboot all the time .

batpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
WinXP SP2
DreamBox500S
My Location
kuwait
zizo said:
i have looked at three different configurations on 3 different dreamboxes, none work for me

i have A centauri Diseqc 2.0 switch with BADR/Nilesat on same LNB (seems the standard in Kuwait) and hotbird on an other one.

I got Nilesat and hotbird to function fully, but still cannot see Badr. the good news is i will see someone next week who claims he can fix it. If so, i will publish full configuration here.

My "dreambox service provider" has poor connectivity it seems and the dremabox decoding hangs very often requiring a restart of the CamD.

Finally, would appreciate a link to a reliable site with DREAMBOX plugins (photo viewing, MP3 etc) any ideas??

thanks to all your feedback guyz, Zizo

i have Badr and Nilesat and Hotbird on the same dish and if you are in the middle east it should work fine with you.