mahmoodn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Receiver: Strong SRT 4622XII
Dish size: 90cm
My Location
iran
Hi,:)
My receiver is set to hotbird. The level of signal is 72% but the problem is for some channels the quality is 70% to 90% and for some channels the quality is 20% (!).

For example BBC world news is about 20% but at the same time BBC persian is 70%, or PMC is 80%.

Is it normal? for one satellite, why channels have such different qualities?:confused

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
mahmoodn said:
My receiver is set to hotbird. The level of signal is 72% but the problem is for some channels the quality is 70% to 90% and for some channels the quality is 20% (!).

For example BBC world news is about 20% but at the same time BBC persian is 70%, or PMC is 80%.

Is it normal? for one satellite, why channels have such different qualities?:confused

Perhaps because they are on different transponders and each TP can have it's own quality.
The BBC Persian is on 11117 which has several encrypted BBC channels used in the Polish package and they are obliged to keep it's quality high, otherwise subscribers would complain.
See Lyngsat link below
_http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html
Don't forget that you are in a fringe reception area and any changes in the transmission can be noticed in your location better than in Europe.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
mahmoodn said:

Well Hotbird isn't just one Satellite, it's a cluster of three: HB-6, HB-8 and HB-9

Also, each individual Satellite has many Transponders. They don't necessarily all function equally well at all times and may have different features by design (I don't know if they actually do, but some bright spark here will!)

Finally, the Satellites tend to move around in a "box" in space and that can mean variable reception depending upon the time of day and the season.

Whether any of these issues explains your own problem, I cannot say.

Then there is the possibility of something being amiss at your end ..............

mahmoodn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
iran
I have searched that BBC world news on other eutelsat satellites are encrypted. So is there any option?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mahmoodn said:
I have searched that BBC world news on other eutelsat satellites are encrypted. So is there any option?

You cannot do that as your dish is pointing at one satellite Hotbird, unless you have either a motorised dish, or multiple lnb's you can only receive channels from Hotbird. There is channel re-use across the arc of satellites, so because your stb is already populated with channels it 'appears' you are receiving other satellites but they are just channels that have the same frequency SR and FEC, which if you could view would simply be channels on Hotbird.

I suspect your dish is slightly out or needs re-tuning, your lnb could be starting to fail, your satellite cable could be overheating/damaged

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
mahmoodn said:

If you can't get BBC World News, then look for alternatives like Euronews or France 24 English. What is the signal quality for these channels?
Also, what about the BBC radio channels?

mahmoodn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
iran
Topper said:
I suspect your dish is slightly out or needs re-tuning, your lnb could be starting to fail, your satellite cable could be overheating/damaged
If all of the channels have poor quality then maybe the dish is not well directed or the LNB is starting to damage.

HB13DISH said:
If you can't get BBC World News, then look for alternatives like Euronews or France 24 English. What is the signal quality for these channels?
Also, what about the BBC radio channels?
Euronews is on the same TP as BBC world news. The quality for france24 is about 50%

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Eutelsat at 13 East uses different beams (super and wide are two types). At your location many of these will require a larger dish, or in some cases, no signal that can be used.

You must check the different beams of each of the transponders you are trying to receive, as you are outside the main footprint of many of them.

mahmoodn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
iran
I haven't heard about super and wide. Can you explain more? According to satbeam.com, in my location:
Hotbird 6:
EIRP level = 42 dBW
Recommended dish size = 150cm / 59.1in

Hotbird 8, 9:
EIRP level = 43 dBW
Recommended dish size = 130cm / 51.2in

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Can you please update your profile to show your dish size?

mahmoodn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
iran
it is about 90cm

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
mahmoodn said:
it is about 90cm

This can explain why you have a signal level problem.
From your previous post, you mentioned dish size in your location of 130-150 cm for Hot Bird 13E.
What is the possibility of putting a larger dish, or is this too big and can draw attention?

mahmoodn

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
iran
HB13DISH said:
or is this too big and can draw attention?
Yes (!)

but my question was why some channels have good quality (70%) and some of them has 20-30% quality. I think the main reason for that as you said is because scrambled channels provide better quality and hence the their TP has better quality that free to air.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
mahmoodn said:
Yes (!)

but my question was why some channels have good quality (70%) and some of them has 20-30% quality. I think the main reason for that as you said is because scrambled channels provide better quality and hence the their TP has better quality that free to air.

Not necessarily. I have seen encrypted channels with lousy signal quality.
Looks like your major problem is the dish size.
I have 1.6m and I get reception problems sometimes and I think that I have much better foot print than in your location.
Edit: Try to improve the setup by using the best LNB that money can buy and also change the coaxial cable to better attenuation and optimize the LNB setup to optimal with the help of a professional