Veteran Broadcaster Jameson dies aged 82

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2Mtr Polar MTG yes it has been on the arc for 35 years and is now fixed on 13 East using two pairs of rusty molegrips. Unlike me they never groan but always perform.
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Press Association 12 September 2012

Veteran broadcaster Derek Jameson has died, it has been announced.
The 82-year-old, who edited three national newspapers, had a heart attack at his home, his wife Ellen said.
Mr Jameson edited the Daily Express, the Daily Star and the News of the World and was also managing editor of the Daily Mirror, and a popular presenter on BBC Radio 2.
Mr Jameson was born in poverty in London's East End where, without parents, he grew up in a home. He began work in Fleet Street as a messenger boy at the age of 14 and rose through the ranks to edit some of Britain's biggest newspapers.

full story
-http://uk.news.yahoo.com/broadcaster-jameson-dies-aged-82-184933496.html

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2Mtr Polar MTG yes it has been on the arc for 35 years and is now fixed on 13 East using two pairs of rusty molegrips. Unlike me they never groan but always perform.
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It was his pronunciation of the tennis player.

Couldn't forget him, Jameson was the original sensationalist 'publish and be dammed' person, a precursor to the likes of Kelvin MacKenzie, Peirs Morgan and other flotsam in the gutter press.

[video=youtube;jqhhSHtTf48]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqhhSHtTf48&feature=relmfu[/video]

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Channel Hopper said:
It was his pronunciation of the tennis player.

Ah, I was not aware that this was one of the highlights of his sensationalist career (although I am not sure what the video has to do with the price of fish)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Topper said:
Ah, I was not aware that this was one of the highlights of his sensationalist career...
Me neither. And I still have no idea who it is supposed to be.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The video (in three parts) concerns the resignation of Antony Lambton, a junior minister over his involvement with Norma Levy. Whilst meeting up with Norma included the use of government vehicles and other staff, it was sensationalised in the News of the World as akin to the Profumo scandal and the Conservatives darkest hour.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Still not a great deal wiser. I suppose that the tennis player is a Frenchman named something like Guy Fourget. And I guess he connects with Lambton or Levy in some way.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
OK, succumbed and Googled the name. For anyone who was as baffled as I was, Guy Forget is/was a professional tennis player from the 80s/90s.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I'm guessing he may have been managing editor of the 'News of The World' when the Profumo affair hit the headlines. There's actually very little about him on Wikipedia apart from a great quote from Radio 4 after he had sued 'Week Ending'. They said he was 'so ignorant he thought erudite was a sort of glue'. I wasn't a fan and had difficulty understanding his accent when he was on Radio 2.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
sonnetpete said:
iThey said he was 'so ignorant he thought erudite was a sort of glue'.
:-laugh:-laugh:-laugh

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
PaulR said:
Still not a great deal wiser. I suppose that the tennis player is a Frenchman named something like Guy Fourget. And I guess he connects with Lambton or Levy in some way.

Message 4. Posted by Alf Hartigan on Friday, 20th June 2008 permalink
Jamieson was one of the most ignorant men I have ever had the displeasure to come across, especially in view of his "high profile" career.

When commenting on the tennis at Wimbledon he once referred to Guy Forget in the English pronunciation of his name.

When it was explained to him the chap's name was pronounced "Gee Forjay" he couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. How I would happily forget that guy.

_http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview/html/NF1951566?thread=5590972#p65078660

Anyone recall the 'Grand Pricks' girl (off Grange Hill) on Saturday Swapshop ? ;)

[video=youtube;mO3xMvLoQzs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO3xMvLoQzs[/video]

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
sonnetpete said:
...he thought erudite was a sort of glue...
I'm fairly sure that was a joke made by someone like Tommy Trinder on a 1950s radio programme.