Video Sender Probs

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m motorised qualitv decoder manhatten blind search decoder echostar 3600ip
My Location
glasgow
A few months ago I bought one of those higher frequency video senders.My problem is that it very seldom accepts the remote command from upstairs.I have tried moving the antennas and changing the frequencies and it's driving me batty as I can't change channels.I thought it might be the downlighters in the bedroom but even whenthey're off it doesn't work.Any input is most appreciated.Cheers.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Do you have a LCD TV upstairs? If so try making sure the light from the TV isn't hitting the IR sensor. Try changing channels with the TV off first and see if it works better, if it's still not working then it's not the TV interfering.

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
glasgow
Cheers will give it a go.It's driving me nuts.

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
glasgow
No joy!I am starting to think it may be stb as downstairs it's very slow or unable to accept remote commands.Tried a reeboot but still slow.Must be internal.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
What sender do you have? I tried several and all were cr*p - certainly didn't relay IR commands with any sort of reliability. You could try a stand-alone one and see if it work... or, if you are using a Sky+ box have the ability to do so, run the cable.

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
glasgow
Can't find any name on the transmitter but must admit the lower frequency range type I used to have was more reliable but picture quality wasn't as good.I'll need to check that well known auction site to obtain a brand name.As for the cable it's just to much hassle to drill holes etc.regards.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Usually the IR data is sent over a different band (I think 433MHz) to the video (which is usually 2.4GHz or 5GHz) and I've found them to be pretty reliable most of the time, even across quite long distances. I've even found different manufacturers video senders work together for IR.

Perhaps something is interfering with the 433MHz signal? Or the IR "blaster" next to the receiver isn't positioned optimally. Perhaps it's either too close or too far away from the receiver.

If you have a video camera or even a phone camera try viewing the IR blaster LED in a dark room with a camera as it should see some of the infrared light and see if it is flashing or constantly lit up. If it is then it's picking up interference from somewhere since it should only flash briefly when someone in the other room is using the remote. Sometimes moving the cables slightly around your receiver helps avoid interference.

colinp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
glasgow
Thanks.I've tried the cable moving to no availWill give camera a try.What other items use the same high frequency?

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
433MHz is also used for things like garage door remotes, wireless weather stations, and wireless burger alarms. Basically things that should only require short intermittent bursts of data to be transmitted so usually they don't interfere with each other.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
I like the idea of a Burger Alarm >>>>> "Danger, Danger, Big Mac Approaching" !!