Virus,under Xp that diconnect the internet connection,after 5 minutes?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
compufunk said:
This thread is going OT a little. Apologies Turok;)

I think one can be somewhat forgiven for that until Turok reports back :cool:

assuming of course his PC is still operational

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
sorry,when i ask here to many questions,but i think its not possible,to explain the nature,of a virius,without going off topic:)

in the meantime a tryed on the windows 7 beta version the only working system at the moment,with spyboot search and destroy,but got the massage after many mailware was found,when i want to delete them,that i have no administrator rights,at the place,in the system shootdown promt under xp,here under windows 7,i dont find the option to change the admin rights,maybe it is somewhere hidden in the system,and i dont see it at the moment!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Turok;861745 in the meantime a tryed on the [B said:
windows 7 beta version[/B] the only working system at the moment,with spyboot search and destroy,but got the massage after many mailware was found,when i want to delete them,that i have no administrator rights,at the place,in the system shootdown promt under xp,here under windows 7,i dont find the option to change the admin rights,maybe it is somewhere hidden in the system,and i dont see it at the moment!

Windows 7 beta ......good luck Turok you must have oodles of patience....
after battling through every version of Windows so far, I am definitely leaving this latest for others to debug.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Turok said:
Hi there!
every good system needs beta testers,here i found a intresting report,what makes windows 7 better then windows vista,

Yes I agree and I was one of the beta testers for Vista, but seeing as I have yet to find someone who does not criticise Vista, then shall we say Windows 7 is probably a better bag of poo than Vista and leave it at that?

If people have money to spare on buying the software and the required specification of Hardware and memory in order to run it then fine, but for the Mr Average user, it is not going to happen soon.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Tivù said:
I'm with you here.

Nothing wrong with many of the free offerings (but not all, of course: Some are just scams to get you to "upgrade").

One does see reports of very knowledgeable PC bods claiming to run with judicious surfing as their only protection.

Windows Firewall and AVG Free (which has integral Anti-Spyware) for me, having tried many. many others.

I ran an old win 98 computer for nearly 3 years with no av protection on it. When I did get around to putting something on & scanning it was clean :D

HOWEVER, only myself & swmbo ever used the computer & we know what we are doing & stay away from dodgy sites. No kids ever go anywhere near it.....

When we upgraded to XP the pc got nailed by the old blaster worm as soon as we went online to update the virus scanner! So I went back to win 98 for another year :-rofl2

Hasd Norton for 3 years on my current pc - part of the purchase price. Bloody awful bit of bloatware crap. Took it off as soon as it expired and stuck AVG on it. Zone Alarm gives some peace of mind, but again no kids ever go anywhere near my computer so its fairly safe.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
nanochickin said:
I'm running Immunet protect along with Clamwin Antivirus on one of my PCs and i'm very impressed with it.

It has removed several nasty viruses from download sites and also found a few on the pc which Norton, McAfee and AVG missed :eek:

Immunet is free from _http://www.immunet.com/ :D

Clamwin is also free from _http://www.clamwin.com/

:-beer

Nano

I have been running Clamwin since this thread but ended up losing my HD to trojans and hijacks, I re-installed Clamwin to day on the replacement HD to double check my Norton and within 2 hours my PC was riddled with trojans again, if you look at where the files are coming from they are coming from the tmp update files for Clamwin. what can I say!

Would definitely ensure you get rid of this crap.....I certainly did

Attachments

• clamav.png
    clamav.png
    37.7 KB · Views: 19
  • clamav1.png
    clamav1.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 20
  • clamav2.png
    clamav2.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 22
  • clamav3.png
    clamav3.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 21

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
nanochickin said:
I'm running Immunet protect along with Clamwin Antivirus on one of my PCs and i'm very impressed with it.

It has removed several nasty viruses from download sites and also found a few on the pc which Norton, McAfee and AVG missed :eek:

Immunet is free from _http://www.immunet.com/ :D

Clamwin is also free from _http://www.clamwin.com/

:-beer

Nano

I have been running Clamwin since this thread but ended up losing my HD to trojans and hijacks, I re-installed Clamwin to day on the replacement HD to double check my Norton and within 2 hours my PC was riddled with trojans again, if you look at where the files are coming from they are coming from the tmp update files for Clamwin. what can I say!

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
Get Comodo internet security it came tops of all the security suites around, or install Avira antivirus both are free products and work very well, ive used them for yonks with no trouble at all, superantispyware or malwarebytes for free too.
PS ie8 has a security flaw so use firefox:-thumbup

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Bush freesat hd box, iss 70cm dish,single passion lnb , goodmans GDB15HD freeview box
My Location
heathrow
Topper said:

Clamwin is not a good av, either comodos or Avira, unless you pay for esnet:-thumbup

portly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
heathrow
Would advise this app to keep you updated in the prog department, secunia PSI,:-thumbup will point out were security flaws are and how to get them sorted also updates progs.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im using MS Security Essentials atm, and am quite impressed with it.

Its dug out a couple of nasties hidden deep in archive files that hadnt been found by avg or norton, and immediately thrown an alert when i downloaded & opened a zip & it didnt like the content inside.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Topper said:

Maybe Norton dont like the competition from Clamwin? I'm not too familiar with Clamwin but have been led to believe that it was a legitimate piece of software.

One of the problems with running 2 AV solutions is that what one AV picks up and isolates will be picked up again by the other AV package and flagged a second time. This could be whats happening in this case.

False positives are a problem with most AV software. Try installing some network security testing software and you'll be plagued with warnings, that's if your AV software doesn't just go right ahead and disable/delete it.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Clamwin only runs when you tell it to, there is no monitoring going on so I do not see how they can could clash, since I only ever ran it in safe mode where Norton refuses to work. I too will be switching to MSSE when my subby expires in March as I have now put it on 20+ private pc's without a single problem.