VISIOSAT BIG BISAT (Belgium, Hotbird + Hispasat?)

magostinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pentium 2.6 GHZ
4 GB ram
Estou a tentar decidir qual o deco e prato a comprar
My Location
Belgium
Hello everyone,

I am planning to buy the new VISIOSAT BIG BISAT dish, I want to receive Astra 1 (19.2 ºE), Astra 2 (28.2 ºE), Astra 3 (23.5 ºE), Atlantic Bird 3 (5.0 ºE) and Hispasat (30.0 ºW).

I am still a newbie in the satallite world, so I was wondering if someone with more experience could give his or her opinion about this; Do you think that it is possible to receive the above mentioned satellites in Belgium by using VISIOSAT BIG BISAT?! Or is it wiser to have a motorized antenna, or even separate (dedicated) antennas?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
all of the above satellites can be received in Belgium without any problem, a 60cm dish should do. As you want to receive 5 satellites, I'd go for a steerable dish or a wavefrontier with 5 LNB's. Don't know about that visiosat, but if it's not multifocus then you'll need a motor to make it steerable.
just for your information : with my 80cm steerable dish I can currently receive 30 satellites, going from 42E Turksat to 30W Hispasat. Installing a steerable dish is tricky, however, so make sure you have the proper equipment, or let a professional do the job.

magostinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pentium 2.6 GHZ
4 GB ram
My Location
Belgium
Thanks for your suggestions; I was thinking of a steerable dish at first, but as you mentioned I would need a need a professional to do the installation job.

A wavefrontier with 5 LNB's also looks good and cheaper. The main reason that I am thinking of choosing VISIOSAT BIG BISAT is that it seems very easy to install (it comes with an alignment software or they provide exact positioning of the LNB's according to your position and desired satellites).

I also think it is better to for zapping, but then again I have no experience, so I don't know the average time that a steerable dish takes to move from one satellite to another.

I found some nice german websites I am about to order all the gear:
- VISIOSAT BIG BISAT
- 5 x ALPS BSTE8, Universal Single LNB 40 mm
- EMP DiSEqC switch 8/1
- 12 x gold F-connector for 7mm by 7mm
- 20 meters of Sat coax cable (7mm)
- Dreambox DM800 S HD PVR

Can anyone check my list, please let me know if I am missing something (my building already has a antenna holder)?!
And don't hesitate to give suggestions either!

Thanks in advance ;-)

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium
magostinho said:
I found some nice german websites I am about to order all the gear:
- VISIOSAT BIG BISAT
- 5 x ALPS BSTE8, Universal Single LNB 40 mm
- EMP DiSEqC switch 8/1
- 12 x gold F-connector for 7mm by 7mm
- 20 meters of Sat coax cable (7mm)
- Dreambox DM800 S HD PVR
wait a sec, is this Visiosat a multifocal dish or not ? You CANNOT use an 'ordinary' dish and mount 5 LNB's onto it ! It has to be multifocal.

magostinho said:
The main reason that I am thinking of choosing VISIOSAT BIG BISAT is that it seems very easy to install (it comes with an alignment software or they provide exact positioning of the LNB's according to your position and desired satellites).
gave me quite a laugh, actually. If you think you can accurately install a dish by using some software programme, please do. You can always call a professional later.

magostinho said:
I also think it is better to for zapping, but then again I have no experience, so I don't know the average time that a steerable dish takes to move from one satellite to another.
from Turksat to Hispasat this takes some 20 seconds. Switching between astra1-2-hotbird takes only a few seconds. You're thinking dreambox, so then you can organize your favourites by satellite, to minimize dish movement when you're zapping around.

Park Royal

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Smart lnb, 1m Gibby dish, Stab motor, TM5200D receiver, 57east to 61west. DTT from Sudbury. Virgin Media broadband.
My Location
So called capital of Suffolk, UK.
58+ degrees span on one dish? I do not think that you could get even with a wavefrontier.
As stated your best bet would be to motorize 1 80cm dish.
Parky

magostinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pentium 2.6 GHZ
4 GB ram
My Location
Belgium
JTA said:
wait a sec, is this Visiosat a multifocal dish or not ? You CANNOT use an 'ordinary' dish and mount 5 LNB's onto it ! It has to be multifocal.

_http://www.visiosat.com/home/gamme/category-index.php?cat=1

JTA said:
gave me quite a laugh, actually. If you think you can accurately install a dish by using some software programme, please do. You can always call a professional later.

Here is a review (sorry it is in Dutch), I don't expect to achieve it on my 1st try, but I can always give it a go...

_http://alatest.be/apps/reviews/6328995/-1/Game+Consoles/Visiosat+Big+Bisat/?ref=http%3A%2F%2Falatest.be%2Freviews%2Fgame-consoles%2Fvisiosat-big-bisat%2Fpo3-57493167%2C76%2F%3Fnr%3D1&lang=nl

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
Probably better to go motorised from the onset!

magostinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pentium 2.6 GHZ
4 GB ram
My Location
Belgium
You guys are right, it is best to lose a few seconds zapping and have more choice...

I am checking for motors now. Any ideas or advices on a "good value for money"? I am not familiar with the different brands of motors...

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
Moteck SG 2100A or Technomate 2200

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium
magostinho said:
http://www.visiosat.com/home/gamme/category-index.php?cat=1
okay, it's multifocal. But if you look at the pdf with it's specifications then you'll see that it has a multi-beam capacity of +/- 20° orbital, which is not enough for what you want to receive. So motorized it is.

magostinho said:
Here is a review (sorry it is in Dutch)
geen probleem en success met de installatie.

magostinho

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pentium 2.6 GHZ
4 GB ram
My Location
Belgium
yeap, thank you all for your help!
That's why I came here, to get good advice on what to buy!

So, I've got a 1.0m dish, and I am waiting for the rest of the gear:
- Diavolo Single LNB 0.1dB HD Ready
- Moteck DiSEqC-Motor SG2100A
- Dreambox DM 800-S HD PVR

Let's see if I can install it alone or not :-)

If there is anyone from Antwerp reading, I have a refrigerator full of beer and I could use a hand or a piece of advice next weekend (25-26th)

Cheers

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Belgium
magostinho said:
If there is anyone from Antwerp reading, I have a refrigerator full of beer and I could use a hand or a piece of advice next weekend (25-26th)
and ? got it working ?

MadBadger

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
visiosat big bisat - 4xquattro lnb - chess 17/8 multiswitch
My Location
Hampshire
JTA said:

Hi.. don't know if this is still relevant, was reading through, and had to comment on this bit =)

I put up one of these dishes (Visiosat Big Bisat) a few months back, using nowt but the supplied figures for my location, and a cheapy sat beeper meter from B&Q. My only previous experience was setting up a minidish (also using the sat beeper). Difference being this dish is a lot bigger, and had 4 lnb's mounted. (And local installers wanted upwards of 400ukp to do the job, plus extras)

I'm using mine to get 28.2e 19.2 13.0e and 5.0w. It really was as simple as bolting all the lnbs into the correct places (as supplied by visiosat for my location), setting the dish elevation & tilt according the figures, hauling the dish up the wall onto the mast, then swivelling it around until I got a good lock from the central lnb. (All made slightly harder by the fact I only had quattro lnb's, so had to use the multiswitch during alignment)..

Did the normal tweaking with the gain on the sat beeper adjusting things about a bit.. end result nice solid signals from all 4 lnb's.. took me a day or so to put up.. I'd say someone with a bit more experience (and gear) could do it easily within 30mins. Longest part for me was getting the mast ready, and running the cables inside.

For what its worth, I went from a motorized dish to this one.. I needed ot be able to use the same dish for sky as other sats, without losing the sky signal.. I may yet add a few more lnb's to the rail into another switch inside, but the rest wont be quattro !

As for the spread.. the big bisat can only do a 40' spread max, I'm fine going from 28.2 to 5w, and have a little left over.. getting 28.2 and 30w on the same dish would be tough.. maybe if you built a diy arm and hung it off the edge to get 28.2, as the signals fairly strong from that.. but I'm guessing here..

GreenmanBelg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 x CM 1.2m matching C120 feedhorn and Invacom 0.3db twin output LNB.50 degrees East to 42 degrees West.1 x CM 1.2m AZ/EL mount matching C120 feedhorn and twin output Invacom 0.3db
Humax VACI 5300
Old Panasonic Digibox
with IRL $ky sub. Coship FTA
My Location
40kms NE of Antwerp,Belgium.
magostinho said:
yeap, thank you all for your help!
That's why I came here, to get good advice on what to buy!

So, I've got a 1.0m dish, and I am waiting for the rest of the gear:
- Diavolo Single LNB 0.1dB HD Ready
- Moteck DiSEqC-Motor SG2100A
- Dreambox DM 800-S HD PVR

Let's see if I can install it alone or not :-)

Cheers

How did you get on?