VU+ Clones available.

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
_http://www2.vuplus.com/14-vuplus-articles/100-caution-vu-clone

Not sure what to think of this, there's some good DMM clones out there but VU+ products are reasonably priced anyway so it it worth buying a clone?

Prices are apparently £130 for a Solo and £190 for a Duo, which will certainly go down in the coming months if they prove popular.

Also it's certain VU, VIX and BH will try to prevent their software being run on a clone

What do you reckon?

(For the record, I'm happy with my DM800, just wondered what everyone thought)

A nonymous

Reaction score
Whats the point of buying a clone of a box thats cheap anyway?

I can see the thoughts behind buying a clone Dreambox as they are expensive and overpriced, but there is very little point buying a clone of a box that is already well priced.

It doesn't make sence. your only saving £60-100 on the price of a genuine Vu+ unlike £200-400 on a Dreambox.

Nano

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I agree, there would be no point in saving such a small amount rather than buying the genuine article. Anyway as the Uno/Ultimo take off, won't these other 'entry level' STB's be discounted?

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
I Have heard that there is plans to plant a software bomb into the images to kill these clone boxes just like gemini did with the dreambox. But personally I wouldn't bother with a clone as i totally happy with my duo and the support provided with it is first class.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Agreed, well worth it.

profixit

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM1000D+
Vu+ Duo
Panansonic TX L42D25B
4 Ps3's Two slim and two phat (original 60gig version)
My Location
London
It's disgusting that clones have surfaced. Please people be careful. I hope others wise up, so it's hard for unscrupulous traders to sell them anymore.

A nonymous

Reaction score
As long as you buy from authorised Vu+ retailers there won't be any issues :D

Pheonix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7020
My Location
uk
andyxxxx said:
_http://www2.vuplus.com/14-vuplus-articles/100-caution-vu-clone

Not sure what to think of this, there's some good DMM clones out there but VU+ products are reasonably priced anyway so it it worth buying a clone?

Prices are apparently £130 for a Solo and £190 for a Duo, which will certainly go down in the coming months if they prove popular.

Also it's certain VU, VIX and BH will try to prevent their software being run on a clone

What do you reckon?

(For the record, I'm happy with my DM800, just wondered what everyone thought)

See this is how silly nonsensical rumors get started, I can categorically state that ViX have never and will never put any thing into a image that will in any way shape or form tamper with or prevent a image from running be the receiver a clone or not. While it is true that we only support genuine hardware we certainly wont go out of our way to hamper the image from running on a clone, Thats Vu's domain.

Chris76 said:
I Have heard that there is plans to plant a software bomb into the images to kill these clone boxes just like gemini did with the dreambox. But personally I wouldn't bother with a clone as i totally happy with my duo and the support provided with it is first class.

There is no such thing as a Vu clone bomb. that was just another silly rumor spread by people who didn't know any better.

ViX only use official Vu supplied hardware drivers for their machines so if Vu include something in those drivers to circumvent the "patch" currently employed on the clones then so be it that's their prerogative to protect their hardware but it's nothing to do with ViX.

sonnetpete said:
I agree, there would be no point in saving such a small amount rather than buying the genuine article. Anyway as the Uno/Ultimo take off, won't these other 'entry level' STB's be discounted?

I know i'm a bit late to the party, but for the record the Uno and Ultimo were never intended to be replacements for the Solo and Duo but additions to the line. so no as you can see production of those models have not ceased since the launch of the Uno and Ultimo.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
Pheonix said:
I can categorically state that ViX have never and will never put any thing into a image that will in any way shape or form tamper with or prevent a image from running be the receiver a clone or not. While it is true that we only support genuine hardware we certainly wont go out of our way to hamper the image from running on a clone, Thats Vu's domain.

Agree with you there. Unfair to do that when there's people who have bought them thinking that they are the real deal.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Pheonix said:
I know i'm a bit late to the party, but for the record the Uno and Ultimo were never intended to be replacements for the Solo and Duo but additions to the line. so no as you can see production of those models have not ceased since the launch of the Uno and Ultimo.

I think you misread or misinterpreted what I'd written. I was theorising that the Solo and Duo might be discounted (I.E. cuts made to their retail price) as consumers purchase the Uno and Ultimo. I realise that their production hasn't ceased, though at some future date surely it must. Most manufacturers replace an entry level product with a new one at some point, to attract new consumers to buy into the brand.

A nonymous

Reaction score
The issue you have to look at is that Gemini denied all knowledge that the time bomb had anything to do with them. They blamed the timebomb on new drivers supplied by Dream Multimedia themselves.

How much truth there is on this i don't know (or care if i'm totally honest) but if that was the case theres no saying that Vu+ themselves may not introduce such tactics, although i don't think they would stoop as low as Dream Multimedia did.

I also believe that VIX and BH wouldn't stoop that low, but anything is possible.

As i've always stated though i wouldn't buy a Vu+ Clone as the original items are well priced anyway. If i do buy another Vu+ box i will get it from the same place i got my last one from, World of Satellite, although i don't think they will hand deliver it to my hotel like they did last time :D

Nano

Pheonix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7020
My Location
uk
well i can categorically guarantee that ViX will never introduce any thing into any image we produce to in any way harm users receivers if they did i would walk away from the team in a instant, as you pointed out however Vu them selves could as they did recently to stop kernel 3.1.1 images running on clones. now that particular inclusion has been patched by the Ferrari clone team but there is nothing stopping it happening again.