VU+ Duo missing Blind Search and PID Entry

norderney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD-3000IP & Sky+
My Location
Hampshire, England
Just been reading a review on the VU+ Duo. Looks an impressive receiver but do any users find the absence of Blade search and PID Entry a problem? I like the network capability.
Does this machine get regular software updates?

dmgp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Superjack positioner, VU+Duo,Eagle, 1.2 Wineguard mesh dish
My Location
Berks
Hi again yes the VU+ does lack blind search, Yes it gets regular software updates. I am using DreamElite 133 because I think it looks better than any other Image I have tried and does all I want it to do. Why spend hours searchimg for feeds when there are channel lists regulary updated which include almost all known transponder/frequencies that you can edit and download to the box in just a few seconds. Regrettably the DreamElite team seem to have stopped trading ! but VTI and PLI and others update their software almost daily. I think it's a great box but if you have never used a Linux box you will be in for a steep learnig curve ( Which will definitely be worthwhile). Good Luck !

norderney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar AD-3000IP & Sky+
My Location
Hampshire, England
Thanks for the reply. I am getting more interested in the VU+ Duo the more I read about it. So basicly there are several people that provide their own software that runs on the VU+ and they also provide regular channel update lists to download as well? Would these channel lists include feeds too? Is it possible to view 422 feeds as well?

Is it possible to download EPG data for Freesat? I know these Linux boxes cannot provide the standard Freesat EPG, but I think I read somewhere that you could download some software that provides easier access to these channels?

dmgp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Superjack positioner, VU+Duo,Eagle, 1.2 Wineguard mesh dish
My Location
Berks
I've had quite a few boxes over the years,Technomate, Echostar, Humax to name a few. My first Linux box was an eagle coz it was cheap enough that if I blew it up it wouldn;t have been the end of the world. My newish Vu+duo I think is fantastic. No it hasn't got blind search and it doen't get 4.2.2 feeds but I believe there is a way of using the receiver and watching 4.2.2 on a PC. Download a copy of Dreambox edit and a set of Likra's settings(channel lists) and you will see what feed frequencies are included. Several people provide self updating EPG and you can set recordings from those (If you have an HDD installed, 5 minute job) I had a problem getting a dreamelite image to initialise the hard drive, but it's so easy just to install another image (Software) initialise the drive, save your settings and if you wish, reinstall another image. At the moment I think only the DE image supports a USB Freeview stick, but these things are constantly evolving. Don't know if you have had a search but there are a lot of other sites about with info about this particular receiver. I doubt you will find a box that fulfils all your needs, the AZbox does 4.2.2 and I believe has blind search. I did a lot of reading before taking the plunge ! Oh yes the CUbe\Revo is another you could read up on. My personal opinion is that the VU is one of the best supported, but there again you pays your money, and none of us know what will happen next in this hobby