VU+ Duo, Quick review.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
I took delivery of a shiny new VU+ Duo on Friday and all I can say is, the hype is all true. I'm a very happy bunny at the minute. :) Now that I've had 48 hours to play with it, I thought I'd share my experience.

For those who dont know, the VU+ Duo is competing directly with the DM8000. The hardware is very similar with the exception the the VU+ Duo has two tuners rather than a possible four. It uses the same processor type as the Enigma2 based Dreamboxes. This means that can run CCcam 'proper' rather than a client that connects to CCcam. Also, any plugins that are available for the DM800/8000 can be installed.

It can run any of the DM8000 images on a USB drive via Barry Alan. I've not ventured down this route and yet because I've read that its not stable yet.

Currently there are three teams developing images for it (that I know of), Open Pli, VTI and HDFreaks. Supposedly Dream-Elite are developing a Black Hole image for it too.

I never owned a DM800/8000 so cant compare directly with these boxes. The VU+ is replacing my AB IPbox 9000HD running PKT and/or AAF enigma2 images.

Picture wise, this receiver is at least as good as the IPBox 9000 on both HD and SD. I honestly cant see any difference.

So far I've tried the Pli and VTI images. Both are stable with regular new builds. Both can also be updated without the need to reflash your box. The updates can be downloaded and installed via the software upgrade menu without effecting your settings/preferences. I did notice some audio syncing problems with Pli, but these were minor and will be fixed in time. Both images are fairly evenly matched with Pli winning out on available plugins.

As normal, detailed EPG is available through Pli's EPG system. I've not tried this out. Instead I installed CrossEPG on both images and use a script to download and import an epg.dat file. I have yet to test downloading the EPG data OTA.

This box blows the IPBox 9000 out of the water in more ways than one. The images are stable (I've yet to see a green screen) and you can fly through the menus where the IPbox response time was sluggish.

With the IPBox, recording a HD channel made it slow down completely in my experience. With the VU+ Duo, I managed to record 5 HD channels simultaneously without experiencing any lag. This was all while CCcam descrambled them using a remote server. :D

It plays all of my library of DivX, Xvid and MKV movies without any problem. The one thing it lacks here is DTS audio playback, but that's easily cured with a quick audio format conversion.

The only cons so far are aesthetic. The receiver itself doesn't look very good. It reminds me of Johnny5 from the Short Circuit movies head.

The remote is white and looks like it was designed by apple about 5 years ago (not my cup of tea). The layout of the buttons is a little awkward. The buttons you use most are positioned in a bad way which forces you to either stretch your thumb reach or move the remote around in your hand. (Small grievances).

The price is the best thing of all. I paid €520 for mine which includes a 320Gb HDD . This included shipping from Germany. At half the price of a DM8000, I can happily live without the 4 tuners that I'd never fully utilize.

Overall 9.9 out of 10. (-0.1 for the bad layout of the remote.) :D

s73r1849..jpg
Images shamelessly stolen from another website.

Attachments

• s73r1856..jpg
    s73r1856..jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 660
  • s73r1851..jpg
    s73r1851..jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 403
  • s73r1853..jpg
    s73r1853..jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 1,881
  • s73r1865..jpg
    s73r1865..jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 727

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
Nice post, keep us updated !

Quinten

Reaction score
Website
awooga.nl
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo on 13E, 19.2E, 23.5E & 28.2E using a Triax TD88
My Location
Aylesbury, Bucks
I've also taken delivery of my Vu+ Duo last week, and pretty much echo all the above. And looking at the retailer where I got mine from, he instantly sold out of his stock, so these things do remain in high demand.

Telia

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
Channel Master 1.2m with Jaeger SMR1224.
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I must order one, i can agree with you that the design of the box is not the greatest, but hardware wise it's a killer..

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If anyone is interested Southernsat will be stocking the VU+Duo at £399.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
The eagerly anticipated Dream-Elite Black Hole 1.0 VU+ Duo image is out now.

I'll try it once I have time.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
Dream-Elite Black Hole is another great image for this box.

Its got almost everything you would want built in.

compufunk said:
I've had this image running on my VU+ Duo for the past two days. I've read some complaints about it being a little sluggish but I cant say that I've noticed. To me it seems to run quickly enough, though I've yet to try to push it with multiple simultaneous recordings.

This image is very similar to Nabilosats Black Hole image. I set up MeoBoot and installed Nabilosat Black Hole on USB for comparison. On the surface the only difference I can see between the images is that the DreamElite image hasn't quite got all the features of the Nabilosat one yet. Some of the menu items are not populated yet. They are identical in almost every other way.

Stability has been fine so far. The only crash I had was when I installed a skin that was intended for DM8000 use only.
The downloads panel seems to be getting stocked up nicely with plugins, addons etc.

They only problem I've seen is with audio on DivX, MKV files, but I see that this has already been noted by the DreamElite team.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...ack-hole-image-all-dreamboxes.html#post908829

The settings menu under the blue panel has plenty of features like a cron job editor and Inadyn Daemon and the CAM emu menu easily allows you to easily set up your CAMs.

Quinten

Reaction score
Website
awooga.nl
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo on 13E, 19.2E, 23.5E & 28.2E using a Triax TD88
My Location
Aylesbury, Bucks
I'm still using PLi, and have recently discovered the AutoTimer plugin, which allows you to set up 'Season Passes' (TiVo term for those who know ;))... perfect!

215liverpool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1meter dish & DM500HD
My Location
Hertfordshire
How sensitive is the tuner in the VU+ ? In terms of picking up fringe signals.

My only experiences have been with a technomate (very sensitive ) and Dreambox (absolutely hopeless)

totalacedude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edit. 5620 several 500,'s (clones) vu duo blackhole pc server 95cms motorised dish blah blahh
My Location
crewe
hi guys.
as my dm800 went up in smoke ive had a friend from here say hes getting 1 and this has sold me..
looking at the info its the dogs bo****ks at half cost of the dreambox 8000.

any gripes with this that are worth a mention?? (except remote)

is the fan noisey?

i like the fact the psu is built in, this meas that unlike dreambox 800's the power supply creates all the different voltages needed directly and doesnt use a 12v supply that needs to be buggered around with to get the different voltages inside the box, as this part is what is causing the infamous 2 leds on ethernet port fault! bad design!

cant wait till monday... hope the dealer has 1 in :)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
215liverpool said:
How sensitive is the tuner in the VU+ ? In terms of picking up fringe signals.
My only experiences have been with a technomate (very sensitive ) and Dreambox (absolutely hopeless)
I cant say I've noticed any difference between this receiver and the DM600, but then I don't do any feed hunting or try to hard to get fringe reception.

@totalacedude
No gripes other than the remote, which I'm getting used to at this stage.

My armchair is around 7 feet away from the receiver and the only time I hear anything is when the room is quiet (TV + Radio Off). Even then its not worth mentioning. The HDD you have installed will have a lot to more effect on noise level than the receiver itself.

I cant hear the fan unless I'm right beside it. Its comparable with the noise of the fan in my laptop. The box runs fairly cool at around 25c-28c under normal operation. Temp measurement taken externally at the top panel.

The PSU is internal, which makes for tidier cabling.

You'll be lucky to get one Monday. They are fairly thin on the ground at the minute.

totalacedude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Edit. 5620 several 500,'s (clones) vu duo blackhole pc server 95cms motorised dish blah blahh
My Location
crewe
thanks for the info..... looks like ive gt nuffin to worry about :)

any problems with images or programmes that ud normally run on dreambox?

as to geting 1 on monday hmm mayb ill just have to wait, but hoping he has 1 in stock...

wierd tho as its cheaper to buy it in euro than gbp.... u no im walkin in there with euros lolol

cheers compufunk:)

Telia

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
Channel Master 1.2m with Jaeger SMR1224.
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
There is a shortage of Broadcom chipsets in the market which you may have noticed by DM8000 being backlogged and also the Vu+ Duo at most dealers.

totalacedude

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
crewe
hmmmm just look at when i posted! and it still not in my grubby mitts!!!!!

fed up using my 500 now!

satfool

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
one 60cm dish for Turksat, VU+ Duo, LG 47LE5500
My Location
Turkey
Thanks for your explanations on VU+ DUO. I bought one yesterday, but faced installation problems. On TV screen's bottom right corner "Enigma 2 is loading..." mesage stays for ages. I restarted and tried from the beginning, but nothing changed. Should I load any software just for watching free channels? Can you please advice any sources to solve such problems to help a beginner like me..

Unhban

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FortecStar Passion
My Location
N.W, UK
satfool said:
Thanks for your explanations on VU+ DUO. I bought one yesterday, but faced installation problems. On TV screen's bottom right corner "Enigma 2 is loading..." mesage stays for ages. I restarted and tried from the beginning, but nothing changed. Should I load any software just for watching free channels? Can you please advice any sources to solve such problems to help a beginner like me..
I'm thinking of getting one of these beasts :) and so have read quite a bit about it. I did read that booting up can take an awfully long time under some circumstances, a lot longer than you think, so just wondering how long you've left it before trying a reboot?

I've used Linux a fair bit on a PC and know on a PC that the first time after install it can take awhile to sort out building new directories and files, so wonder if this is the case with the Duo too (and perhaps all Linux sat.receivers)....

Unh.

World-of-Satellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo 4K
GiGaBlue UHD Qaud 4K
GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K
VU+ Zero 4K
My Location
UK
The latest ViX Team image (who we sponsor) boots in approx 80 seconds, dont take long at all.

It wont take you long to install the ViX team image, just flash via USB, then go through the setup wizard as it boots up. Then you can easily ftp Enigma 2 settings / bouquets. Very easy to setup ;)

kitman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
vu+duo motorised dish
My Location
north uk
hi guys ,need someone kind enough to put me in the right direction with a a few answers to a few questions ,i hope someone can take the time to answer ,and thanks in advance , any way got a new vu duo and basically as i am ne w to cs totally and plan to use it to share my own sky card with a dreambox 500s that i have in a flat ,anyway as i said new to this game and firstly what do i need to load on to the vu initially to get somewhere down the line ,ie not sure of what a image is or a cccam ,but get the feeling i need to put something in ,please help ,

ireilly24

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HD
FULL SKY UK HD
My Location
leicester
hi all can someone answer me a few questions oin this box?

forstly i was looking at a dm8000hd clone, it the vu+ duo a clone or original?

can you record one channel and watch another on the vu+ duo?

is it as easy to setup as my current dm800 hd?

thanks all ian

World-of-Satellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo 4K
GiGaBlue UHD Qaud 4K
GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K
VU+ Zero 4K
My Location
UK
ireilly24 said:
hi all can someone answer me a few questions oin this box?

forstly i was looking at a dm8000hd clone, it the vu+ duo a clone or original?

can you record one channel and watch another on the vu+ duo?

is it as easy to setup as my current dm800 hd?

thanks all ian

There are no VU+ Duo clones on the market.

Yes you can watch one channel and record another, you could even record from a diffrent satellite depending on your setup.

Yes as easy to setup as a DM800, it runs Enigma2 exactly like a Dreambox :)