VU+ Duo, Quick review.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
samoloko said:
what Is min snr that Vu can lock signal - my db5620 with terible tuner can not work with 62 snr at 5/6
can Vu show up BER
On a 5/6 signal, for example ITV2 it will show occasional pixelisation at 40 SNR, and be severely pixelated by 37 SNR. BER is a waste of time as it always shows zero.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
No, I've never seen the BER showing a reading either. Would a lower SNR of 30 before breakup be possible on a 3/4 signal? I've definitely had it that low on Nilesat without pixellisation.

paxrax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
☆☆☆vu+ duo☆☆☆
dm800s (rev m)☆☆☆
dm800s (rev l3)☆☆☆
1m motorised dish☆☆☆
zone 1 sky dish☆☆☆
My Location
uk
Analoguesat said:
Now the prices are starting to come down a bit Im wanting a Duo. Ive already got a spare hard drive sitting here waiting to go in it!

i paid £300 for mine, picked up form birmingham, or £314.99 delivered, certainly a lot cheaper than normal!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
nanochickin said:
Hope its a SATA drive AS :D

The Vu+ doesn't use the older PATA IDE Drives.

Nano

YUp its a sata :D

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Analoguesat said:
Ive already got a spare hard drive sitting here waiting to go in it!
I put a 500GB one in mine. I thought it would be big enough because I only have a 320GB in the hard drive recorder and that holds hundreds of things, but it is variable compression. 500 GB in the Vu+ is pretty undersize though especially once you start recording HD stuff.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
Would a lower SNR of 30 before breakup be possible on a 3/4 signal? I've definitely had it that low on Nilesat without pixellisation.
30 SNR on a 3/4, yes; about 25 SNR on a 2/3; and 1/2 transponders are still rock solid at 20 SNR. Have a look at the screenshots in my Gibertini thread.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I bought a "WinTV Nova-T" USB stick second hand off eBay for a fiver. It arrived today so now I have a 3 tuner Duo.

Attachments

• screenshot-TDT.jpg
    screenshot-TDT.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 56

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
So it's now a Tre?

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Tivù said:
So it's now a Tre?
Vu+ Trio.

BTW how do you say "Vu+"? Is it "Vee you plus" or "View plus"?

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:
Vu+ Trio.

BTW how do you say "Vu+"? Is it "Vee you plus" or "View plus"?

Vous plus (with a really bad French accent)....oh BTW, I side with your second possibility.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
Vous plus (with a really bad French accent)....oh BTW, I side with your second possibility.
One of the nice things about Spanish is once you see a word you know exactly how to pronounce it. Pity English isn't so simple.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Think it's the same with Italian too. FYI, a lot of French schoolchildren choose Spanish or German to learn as a second language rather than English, so maybe it is complicated. (though we don't have the hang up with objects being male, female or neuter)

mashster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo (Open PLi) Sats: Telstar 12, Atlantic Bird 3 (C), Sirius 4.8E, Eutelsat W3A, Eutelsat W2A and Intelsat 7 & 10 (C & Ku)
My Location
South Africa
Mashster Here!

Just received my VU+ Duo three days ago! Almost got a scare when I flashed it, but then I flashed it again using Open PLi! And I must say I have never been happier! I have been lucky to move from a DM500, to a DM800 Clone and now to this!

With the DM800, I always hated the no free tuner thing, when it was recording, and I wanted to watch something else.

And also, who said that this thing was ugly! And It does not double up as a heater in Winter!

So for the Past 3 Days since I've had it I am the happiest man! And of course before you tell me about the DM8000, my pockets do not go that deep! VU+ Duo gets a humungous thumbs up from me!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
mashster said:
With the DM800, I always hated the no free tuner thing, when it was recording, and I wanted to watch something else.
Well I still get that message with the Duo quite a bit. My missus records lots of films (often setting timers more than a week in advance). Most of the time it is after midnight and I am in the middle of watching something when the "no free tuner" thing pops up.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi,

Has anyone compared the tuner sensitivity of the Duo with that of a Manhattan XT or Technomate (5200, 5400 etc) which were supposedly sensitive tuner models? I would be interested in knowing how they compared.

Rgds
moonbase

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
My Solo is definitely more sensitive than my old Manhattan XT-F.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
sonnetpete said:
My Solo is definitely more sensitive than my old Manhattan XT-F.

sonnetpete,

Thanks for the reply, I have a Manhattan XT-F that I use and just wished to confirm that I was not taking a backwards step re "sensitivity" by purchasing a Vu+ Duo. I notice you said that the Solo is definitely more sensitive than the Manhattan, could I please ask what leads you this conclusion? For example, are there any specific transponders that you could not get with the Manhattan XT-F that you now get with the Solo assuming the dish is the same?

Also, would anyone know if the tuners in the Vu+ Duo have the same sensitivity as the tuner in the Solo, ie, is it simply a case of two Solo tuners in the Vu+ Duo or is it a different board with integrated twin tuners on it?

Rgds
moonbase

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
moonbase said:
I have a Manhattan XT-F that I use and just wished to confirm that I was not taking a backwards step re "sensitivity" by purchasing a Vu+ Duo.
The Tuner in the Duo is miles better than the Manhattan. More sensitive and able to cope well when there is a high power transponder right next to a low power one (like the 28ºE north beams here).

Missing from the Duo, and present on the Manhattan is blind search. If you want a box that is rated as highly as the Vu+, performs almost the same, has good image support, and has a very customisable blind search, consider the Clarke-Tech ET9000.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Huevos said:
....Missing from the Duo, and present on the Manhattan is blind search. If you want a box that is rated as highly as the Vu+, performs almost the same, has good image support, and has a very customisable blind search, consider the Clarke-Tech ET9000.

Huevos,

Thank you for the reply.

Would you know what the tuner sensitivity is like on the Clarke-Tech ET9000. Also, is the blind search definitely working as I read elsewhere that it had some bugs that were supposed to be fixed soon with some type of upgrade. Finally, is the blind search hardware based or software based?

Regards
moonbase

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
moonbase said:
Finally, is the blind search hardware based or software based?
Hardware, but up until a few days ago it didn't have drivers to control it. Now it has.

I personally don't own one so take my comments with a pinch of salt, but from what I've read people who already owned a Vu+ Duo and have bought an ET9000 are very pleased with it and say the tuner is on par.

I've done a post on the Vix board about blind search to try to get a bit more info.