VU+Duo2 or DM 7020 V2

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
VU+Duo2 or DM 7020 V2. Time for a new box now I have almost finished the renovations. Have a Gigablue Quad at the mo but not over impressed and been told I need to work less so looking for a new toy.

gibertini

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800HDSE SIM 2.10 80CM ORBITAL FIXED@28.2E
My Location
53.6N 2.4W
both are pretty new and not that popular due to the price..... its up to you which one you choose but personally id go with the DUO2 as im a big blackhole fan but you cant make a expensive choice based on image team support. i cant see anyone owning both to give you a comparison apart from a dealer so i guess you would have to look at the spec,s of both then decide which one has the features/support you are after and make your decision. maybe someone can give you a more detailed rundown to help you make your choice

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England
both are pretty new and not that popular due to the price..... its up to you which one you choose but personally id go with the DUO2 as im a big blackhole fan but you cant make a expensive choice based on image team support. i cant see anyone owning both to give you a comparison apart from a dealer so i guess you would have to look at the spec,s of both then decide which one has the features/support you are after and make your decision. maybe someone can give you a more detailed rundown to help you make your choice

Thanks, the Duo2 does seems very nice, maybe just have to wait or maybe take the plunge. I did inquire about the Duo2 and the lowest price was £430 with free delivery, so maybe I will wait until the Christmas rush is over and perhaps get one for £400 with free delivery.

mosllam

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
240 cm local motorized dish and 2 fixd 180 cm local dish with multi lnb VU+ DUO 2 yuner in use
My Location
Egypt- Cairo
i have the old duo - right now i will never buy a vu+ again

the reson is the vu+ comany efectivly has sttoped the support for the ( older models)
the support is there but just officaly not realy
real support now is for solo2 and duo2 - the kernil for these models is 3.3.9
at the same time the ( older models ) stopped at kernel 3.1.1 for no real reson other than saying that the tec specification for older models does not allow it ( the ultimo isnt old at oll and not far on tec side 400x2)

the dreambox company treats its costumer with more respect
all modeles even the old DM 800 has the same interst in support ( DM 800 is out of prodtion for about 4 years now ) - i think this is why the dream is more expensive
even the chiness give more support to there older copy dream more than the vu+ does

beside the duo2 has manythinges that you might never need or use
a separet 3 inch screen in the front panel ??
2x1300 procser - for what ? just to make the set boots faster
they said you can navigat the web browser very fast but who will use it as a labtop

the 400 proceser in DM 7020HD was quite sufficent for me and it was stuffed with all the plugins i could set it up - ones that i might use just one time evry month

a gigabite ethernet - in duo2 ??

and some day the vu company will have a new models ( DUO5 maybe ) and says that support for older model ( duo2) will stop completly - and then you have to buy the DUO5 and DUO 25 some years later

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

the reson is the vu+ comany efectivly has sttoped the support for the ( older models)
the support is there but just officaly not realy
Drivers are bang up to date. What features do you think you are missing with the 3.1.1 kernel?

A nonymous

Reaction score
the dreambox company treats its costumer with more respect

Hardly, Dream Multimedia treat their customers with nothing but contempt. Have you wondered why Pli are stopping their support for the V2 boxes due to their refusal to make their newest firmware Open Source.

OpenPLi stops actively supporting Dream Multimedia STB’s

With the decision of Dream Multimedia to abandon open source for their STB’s, our motivation for dealing with the consequences of that has dwindled.

This has gotten to the point that we are no longer willing to apply Dream Multimedia specific patches, which is why we do not support their v2 STB hardware.

Because current OpenPLi users with Dream Multimedia STB’s expect support from us, we feel the need to make our position clear.

We have decided that:

- We will stop fixing Dream Multimedia specific bugs for existing DMM boxes;
- We will not support the “v2″ series of Dream Multimedia STB hardware, like the 7020HDv2 and 800SEv2;
- We will not support future Dream Multimedia STB hardware they may release;

The Dream Multimedia hardware currently supported by OpenPLi will remain active in our automated build environment, which means images will be generated and feeds will remain available, until we get to a point that this is no longer possible without intervention. At that point, we will effectively stop with all support.

Since OpenPLi is open source and available to anyone, feel free to setup your own build environment, and produce images for Dream Multimedia hardware yourself, “Based on OpenPLi”.

Dream Multimedia seem to think that they don't need the support of the teams. They seem to very short sighted in realising its the third party firmware thats sells a box, not their closed sourced firmware. Without this third party firmware the Dreambox is just an over priced free to air receiver.

I would buy a Vu+ box over a Dream Multimedia product any day of the week. The only reason i have a DM800Se is because it came at the right price. I would never have paid what DMM were asking for a new one.

And you honestly think that what Dream Multimedia is doing isn't the same as what Vu+ are doing. No its actually worse.

Nano

E2R

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
UK
I chose the VU+ Duo2 with VIX software and find the performance faultless. The major problem with the box is the heat it produces so I chose to use it with the top cover removed to allow the heat from the two twin tuners to escape.

E2R

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I chose the VU+ Duo2 with VIX software and find the performance faultless. The major problem with the box is the heat it produces so I chose to use it with the top cover removed to allow the heat from the two twin tuners to escape.

E2R
Put the lid back on and use the fan control in ViX to keep it cool.

Fan control is in: menu -> setup -> system -> temperature & fan control

I've got mine set to 2000rpm which is a good balance between quiet running and low temperature (less than 40ºC). Also important is have it on an open shelf and away from air that has already been heated by other devices.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Blimey, my Uno barely gets warm....

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Mine neither even in summer when outdoor temps are in the high thirties. Needs to login via telnet and run top to find out what is using the CPU.