Newbie Here VU+ SOLO 4K DVB-S2 FBC Tuner

A

Archive7

I use empty boxes of Valium, leftover after the first days learning my linux receiver :O)
Seriously, don't know about the Solo4k, but my Solo2 runs extremely cool, and got some great temp control program in there, see attach.

Norway has a cooler climate no wonder you can get away without a fan.
I was referring to SOLO SE V2 which doesn't have a fan inside.
Edit: Solo 2 has a fan inside, doesn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Norway has a cooler climate no wonder you can get away without a fan.

Not always, 30 deg c in my livingroom today, heat wave for some days, and no aircon here.
The Solo2 has a great mini-fan, keeps it always around 35 deg, going up to around 40 when recording, that's all well within any norm.

Very few components inside the 4k > VU+ Solo 4K Review - Linux-TV.com should make it run quite cool, therefore their choice of no fan, and looking at the available space should not be a problem to retrofit one if needed. But I'd think there should have been a fan, the fan + control program is really good on the solo2.

Am looking to buy one of these (or similar) someday, but awaiting more user reports + some of my other boxes to die first :O)

Last edited:
A

Archive7

Few posts back, you will see that Tururu and myself have agreed that the Solo 4K runs cool, but adding a dual tuner module to the extra slot could change that, because these new tuners can get very hot.
The Solo SE V2 is quite small in size without a fan, that's why I need to cool it down externally.
At the time I ordered it, it was the best choice cost wise.
Someone mentioned that deleting all the adult channels can make the box runs cool. Maybe I will try that one day.

A

Archive7

The price of the VU+ SOLO 4K is still quite high nearly Euro 500.
Is there any chance the price would drop to Euro 400 soon?
Will there be any major discount days before Black Friday in November?

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
I was referring to SOLO SE V2 which doesn't have a fan inside.

Fitted a fan in a 'very hot' box here. A low db\thin fan model, a few strips, & use any 5 v source, works fine.

Attachments

• fan.JPG
    fan.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 19
A

Archive7

Fitted a fan in a 'very hot' box here. A low db\thin fan model, a few strips, & use any 5 v source, works fine.
Good idea.
I use a small USB fan by Logilink. It is very quite and does a great job cooling the box without the need to open the box.
I suppose I could connect it to one of the USB connectors for the voltage supply, but I preferred not to waste a precious USB and use a small mains to USB adapter instead, like mobile charger.

Attachments

• LogiLink USB.jpg
    LogiLink USB.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
& the SE V2 design would probably not as easily accomodate fan in the top. For the 4k there would be no problem (if ever needed, few components with lots of space around), judging by the photos > VU+ Solo 4K Review - Linux-TV.com

Anyway, modern components tolerate heat very well, but am wondering about lifespan of capacitors when subjected to long term high temp.

A

Archive7

& the SE V2 design would probably not as easily accomodate fan in the top. For the 4k there would be no problem (if ever needed, few components with lots of space around), judging by the photos > VU+ Solo 4K Review - Linux-TV.com

Anyway, modern components tolerate heat very well, but am wondering about lifespan of capacitors when subjected to long term high temp.

You are right, but I have a 2 year warranty from Amazon Germany and if the box fails, they would give me a refund or send me a brand new box.

A

Archive7

The price of the VU+ SOLO 4K is still quite high nearly Euro 500.
Is there any chance the price would drop to Euro 400 soon?
Will there be any major discount days before Black Friday in November?
Just noticed today that the VU+ SOLO 4K price from Amazon Germany and HM-SAT is less than 400 Euro.
This is a huge discount from what it was only few months ago.
Perhaps it is time for upgrade, or should I wait till Black Friday in November or the Christmas holidays?

Last edited by a moderator:

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
I would wait/have a good read around, better more powerful boxes already on the market at a cheaper price than the solo 4K, a few more 4k boxes will be hitting the market before Christmas :).

A

Archive7

I would wait/have a good read around, better more powerful boxes already on the market at a cheaper price than the solo 4K, a few more 4k boxes will be hitting the market before Christmas :).
Thanks, but my main interest in the Solo 4K is because of the dual FBC tuners and not the 4K feature.
Anyway, I will wait as I can't afford it now. I am considering selling my VU+ Solo SE V2 to pay for part of the cost.

A

Archive7

New models coming out price might drop more ?, its up to you at the end of the day:)

VU+ announces 2 new 4K receivers - VU+ Uno 4K and Ultimo 4K - Linux-TV.com
Thanks again. The VU+ Ultimo 4K looks awesome. I like the fact that it can use internal 3.5" HDD, which is one of the cons of the VU+ Solo 4K which uses only 2.5" HDD.
Now I understand why they have lowered the price of the VU+ Solo 4K.
Any idea what the Ultimo price would be? Probably between 500-600 Euro.

blademedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Thanks again. The VU+ Ultimo 4K looks awesome. I like the fact that it can use internal 3.5" HDD, which is one of the cons of the VU+ Solo 4K which uses only 2.5" HDD.

I have no idea on price but i can say they have some big competition, companies are selling better boxes cheaper i bought a mutant 4k last week the box works flawless a few minor bugs but expected with a new box, if only they brought blind scan out for this box it would be a great all rounder,

Spend time reading up on development sites there's a few new people supporting boxes with big ideas.

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Interesting that Ultimo 4K has a hdmi (2.0!) in. I wonder if it is able to record using that port.

bonou2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
strong 4500, openbox X801, vantage 7100ts, vantage X201 CI, goldenmedia 9080,goldenmedia uni-box2,tbs6925+,inverto black ultra+C120,panorama er-861, zinwell lnb 15K C- band,intersat 20K
My Location
Romania

only rumors

Vu+ Ultimo 4k UHD

544,00 € *
inkl. MwSt. zzgl. Versandkosten
Dieser Artikel erscheint am 4. November 2016

Vu+ Uno 4k UHD

289,00 € *

A

Archive7

only rumors

Vu+ Ultimo 4k UHD

544,00 € *

Vu+ Uno 4k UHD

289,00 € *

Thanks a lot.
So the Uno 4K is the lowest price for VU+ 4K models.
Interesting about making the FBC tuners pluggable on the Ultimo. This adds more flexibility.
Will keep a close watch on future reviews and hopefully the full data sheets (user guides) will be available soon.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Yes, new models coming but it is going to take a long time for proper image support. Solo4K has taken the best part of a year to get reasonable image support and there are still certain driver issues that could be improved.

That it has 8 tuners is a myth. It has 2 built in tuners. Using the FBC tuners with a Universal LNB gives the equivalent performance as 2 tuners and 6 loopthroughs.

With a Unicable II LNB you can record from up to 8 transport stream simultaneously. But there is no restriction on how the link tuners are configured. So the suggestion earlier that C, D, and E are connected to tuner A, and the F, G, and H are linked to tuner B is fiction.

I have a twin PnP DVB-S2 tuner card in the slot and this is not excessively hot. Definitely lower than 50C.

A

Archive7

only rumors

Vu+ Ultimo 4k UHD

544,00 € *

Vu+ Uno 4k UHD

289,00 € *

There is still no sign of the new models of VU+ FBC 4k anywhere for ordering.
It will probably take longer time to offer it for sale and Christmas time is the best time to sell new models.
Has anybody seen any updates? Thanks