VU+ Solo connection to Livebox

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
So...I've ordered a VU+ Solo and am now thinking of how to connect it to my wi fi. I'm thinking of buying these ethernet bridge devices;

_http://www.amazon.fr/Netgear-XAVB101-adaptateurs-Ethernet-Homeplug/dp/B002MS1PQQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Sorry it's in French but I'm certain you can see if they're suitable. I understand that you merely connect from the spare ethernet port on the Livebox to the bridge and then from the remote bridge, via another ethernet lead to the VU+. Is it really that simple or will I have either input the Livebox address into the VU+ or something more complex? Or, (as I hope) will it all work 'from the box'?

Sorry for relative newbie questions but this will be my first foray into Linux STB's.

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
HI Pete

Its really that simple and they work great as well mate enjoy.

Chris

paxrax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
☆☆☆vu+ duo☆☆☆
dm800s (rev m)☆☆☆
dm800s (rev l3)☆☆☆
1m motorised dish☆☆☆
zone 1 sky dish☆☆☆
My Location
uk
to be honest, i always stay away from wireless and use homeplugs/ethernet adapters.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
Is it really that simple or will I have either input the Livebox address into the VU+ or something more complex? Or, (as I hope) will it all work 'from the box'?
No it doesn't work out of the box but it is pretty simple. It will come with a CD which you load on your PC. Then you plug the device into your network and the PC configures it. Then you plug in the second one and the PC configures that. This sorts out encryption so your neighbours can't tap into the traffic on your network by listening in on your homeplugs. From then on you just use them in the way you described above, which works the same as a direct CAT5 connect between the Vu and the Livebox.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Well, I've ordered the Homeplugs. Here's hoping that by this time next week I've got the VU+ and them up and working!!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
paxrax said:
use homeplugs/ethernet adapters.
That's what they are.

Edit: too slow!

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos said:
This sorts out encryption so your neighbours can't tap into the traffic on your network by listening in on your homeplugs.

LOL, nearest neighbour 300 mtrs away on other side of a one hectare field. Can't see him listening in really! It still sounds simple though. I'm assuming that the cd will work under Linux, which is on my other laptop and I'll probably try to configure the network from there.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
I'm assuming that the cd will work under Linux, which is on my other laptop and I'll probably try to configure the network from there.
Probably not. Just configure them using a Windows machine. Once they are configured they don't require any futher input.

fergyc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo with ViX and OSCAM, Prof Revolution 7301 PCI Card, 2x Dreambox 500S, 80cm Technomate Dish with Inverto Black Ultra and TM-2600 DiSEqC Motor. Technomate TM-300D along with a few zone 1 minidishes that get moved regularly and a zone 2 for 19e a
My Location
Northumberland
I've never set up encryption on my homeplugs. Is it bad? Noone lives next door anyway.

paxrax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
☆☆☆vu+ duo☆☆☆
dm800s (rev m)☆☆☆
dm800s (rev l3)☆☆☆
1m motorised dish☆☆☆
zone 1 sky dish☆☆☆
My Location
uk
lol, i read ethernet bridge and presumed it was a wireless bridge, my bad!

on a side note, if youre uk based, ebuyer have some 85mps pairs in for £24.98 each, free delivery if you spend over £50.

bargain for basic networking if you dont want to stream hi def stuff.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
According to the PDF I've just read from the Netgear site, there isn't a cd with the homeplugs. Apparently you hold the power button down for 2 to 4 seconds on each plug (within 2 minutes which would be a pain if you had a large house on several levels!) and the plugs will communicate and set up security themselves.

@paxrax : I live in France and unfortunately I think the free delivery wouldn't apply outside the UK. In any case the shipping is quicker if I source things within France and the Homeplugs I've ordered were 200Mbps and €40 for the pair delivered, which I think is about £34. I reckon by the time you add on delivery from the UK, it would be roughly the same.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Ok, the VU+ Solo arrived this morning and I'm already impressed by the sensitivity of its tuner. The menus are a bit confusing (think I also need to update the image as Huevos suggested) and the transponder lists are quite a bit out of date. No tp's for ITV HD or BBC1 HD. But it will keep me going this week. I'll start a new thread comparing it to the Vantage in due course (and after I get the Homeplugs working)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Excellent.

I love new toys, me.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
I'll start a new thread comparing it to the Vantage in due course (and after I get the Homeplugs working)
Post a link in here so we can all find the new thread.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
sonnetpete said:
Ok, the VU+ Solo arrived this morning and I'm already impressed by the sensitivity of its tuner. The menus are a bit confusing (think I also need to update the image as Huevos suggested) and the transponder lists are quite a bit out of date. No tp's for ITV HD or BBC1 HD. But it will keep me going this week. I'll start a new thread comparing it to the Vantage in due course (and after I get the Homeplugs working)

the vix 2.0 image has been said to work great on vu+. going to have to get one myself soon hopefully but spent some of the money on other things that i needed.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
wod said:
the vix 2.0 image has been said to work great
I like it a lot. Really like the EPG.

World-of-Satellite

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Ultimo 4K
GiGaBlue UHD Qaud 4K
GiGaBlue UHD UE 4K
VU+ Zero 4K
My Location
UK
I'd say the ViX2.0 image are proberbly the best VU+ image around atm :)

paxrax

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
☆☆☆vu+ duo☆☆☆
dm800s (rev m)☆☆☆
dm800s (rev l3)☆☆☆
1m motorised dish☆☆☆
zone 1 sky dish☆☆☆
My Location
uk
being a bit set in my ways i tried the black hole image on my vu+ duo when i got it. i know my way around the image from the dm800 and ive always found it the best image by far.

i tried the new vix 2.0 and after having a problem mounting the hdd i find it a little better than bh.

nice clean menus and a good working epg. will stick with it for a while i think!

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
So..the Homeplugs arrived today, I plugged them in and they worked straightaway. Certainly the VU+ connected to the internet very easily and I downloaded a couple of plug ins. One problem is that I can't get the VU+ to display it's IP address which I would need to FTP the box so I can edit bouquets etc. It may just be a matter of rebooting though.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
sonnetpete said:
One problem is that I can't get the VU+ to display it's IP address which I would need to FTP the box so I can edit bouquets etc.
Mate, I would start with the image first. Seems silly to me to start configuring the stock image when you are going to flash a new one over the top and lose all your settings.

On the IP address give it a static one. That way if the power goes off you won't have to worry about which IP the DHCP server is going to allocate to each device.

BTW to find which IP the Vu has currently you can access your router config and see which dynamic IPs the DHCP server has allocated.