Advice Needed VU+ Solo SE V2 Booting Problem

A

Archive7

This morning my VU+ Solo SE V2 doesn't want to boot.
I read somewhere that I might need to reflash the image that I have already VTi
I am not too keen on reflashing as I will need to set everything again from scratch.
Didn't backup anything.
My main concern is my recordings on the HDD. Last time I lost all the recordings while trying to mount the disk and that was only after a week, now I have a lot more material.
Is there any other way that can make the box reboot without reflashing?
I have disconnected it from power in the meantime, until I hear your advices.
Thanks.

A

Archive7

Well nothing seems to work.
So I flashed the receiver with latest VTi image and now I am going through the installations again.
My biggest concert is whether to connect the HDD or not.
Last time I lost the recordings and this time I would rather keep it away from the box at least I can view the recordings externally without losing them.
I would appreciate it if anyone with experience can give me advice on how to mount the HDD without losing the recordings.
Thanks.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
I am not too keen on reflashing as I will need to set everything again from scratch. Didn't backup anything.
Why? ;O)

HDD without losing the recordings.
It's a usb external, using ntfs or fat? Connect it to pc and backup everything to the pc hd (or to other external hd), then you're free to experiment\test hd on box with no possible loss. If the hd by some unexpected\strange means reformats itself when connected to box, simply ftp the backup unto it.

Last edited:

A nonymous

Reaction score
To be honest with you i reflashed my Xtrend box at least once a month to try new images and i haven't had to remount the disk as it does it automatically. IT seems strange that you have this issue with the Vu+

If you are concerned you could always fit another HDD in the Vu+ and connect the one out of the Vu to a linux PC and then ftp it over.

A

Archive7

Thanks for the advices.
I need a 4TB HDD for the backup, which I don't have now. I might buy a new one next week but I am not happy to spend money on another HDD.
Will play it safe in the meantime and keep the HDD away from the box.
On a previous occasion, I flashed the receiver with the HDD connected. This might be the reason why I lost the recordings.
I would suggest to always disconnect the HDD before reflashing, a bit difficult with internal HDD.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Never had a problem, with my internal hard drive, whenever I've flashed my receiver, but I've generally stuck to Black Hole images.
I would advise you sue some of the back up tools, to make re-flashing easier.
I always use Dreamboxedit, to back up, and edit, my channel list, and Bouquets.
You can also FTP your recordings, to your PC, if you want to back them up.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
4tb of recordings you value, and no backup ?! The drive itself may fail someday.

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
A

Archive7

Today is not my day.
Tried to reboot the receiver and now it doesn't want to load.
Perhaps the latest VTi image is giving me trouble?
Which other image would you recommend to flash next? I haven't tried VIX or BH till now.
Thanks.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
The image depends on what you like, or require it to do.
Most are similar, I like Black Hole, mainly because of the options available, in the customise menu, but the latest version, 3.0.2, doesn't work with CCcam.
You could try Open Black Hole, 0.4 is the latest version, or one of the numerous other images.
I hope it is only a software problem, and not a hardware problem.

A

Archive7

Thanks.
Certainly not my day. I installed BH V3.0.2 and will reflash with something else

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
At least you managed to laod an image.
There are some tools, to help with Oscam, including a CCcam to Oscam converter, that then saves all the files you need.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Backups are a must, it saves lots of time.

I might be wrong but cant you re flash an image and your media is unaffected?
or did you lose data due to the box crashing before?

A

Archive7

I might be wrong but cant you re flash an image and your media is unaffected?
or did you lose data due to the box crashing before?

I think it is possible, but after what happened last time losing all recordings after reflashing, I am just over cautious and prefer to disconnect the hard disk as a precaution.
The box didn't crash then. I was experimenting with new images.

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
The information on the hard drive used is not lost.
Never Initializing.
Never format.
Just mount the tuner can use it.
In some cases, routes recordings can be different according to image and seem to lose the data, but are, routes and fixed theme change.
Almost all pictures/firmware you have options to backup image and only to reinstall the backup in minutes subject solved.
Save options settings, it is only valid for the same image and not always with the latest version, care.
--------------------
La informacion en el disco duro usado no se pierde.
Nunca inizializar.
Nunca formatear.
Solo montar para que el sintonizador lo pueda usar.
En algunos casos, las rutas de grabaciones pueden ser diferentes segun imagen y parece que perdemos los datos, pero estan, se modifican las rutas y tema solucionado.
Casi todas las imagenes/firmware tienes opciones para hacer un backup de la imagen y solo con reinstalar el backup en unos minutos tema solucionado.
Las opciones de salvar la configuracion, solo es valida para la misma imagen y no siempre con las ultima version, cuidado.
:cool:
Some images have problems with 3TB or larger disks and do not mount the unit correctly, being necessary to assemble by hand.
See if to mount the disk size you have is correct, this is not the problem.
Do not use the correct identifier of the partition map (UUID), so size is not correct.
Remember that must be mounted as /media/hdd/ sda1 (hard disk).
In the VU + DUO2 / Dreambox800S-HD disks => sda1 (enigma2).
----------------
Algunas imagenes tienen problemas con los discos grandes 3TB o mas y no montan la unidad correctamente, siendo necesario montar a mano.
Mira si al montar el disco el tamaño que tiene es correcto, no sea este el problema.
No utiliza el identificador correcto de la particion a mapear (UUID), por eso el tamaño no es correcto.

Recuerda que tiene que estar montado como /media/hdd/ el sda1(disco duro).
En el VU+DUO2/Dreambox800S-HD discos =>sda1(enigma2).

PD:
a5995.gif

A

Archive7

The image depends on what you like, or require it to do.
Most are similar, I like Black Hole, mainly because of the options available, in the customise menu, but the latest version, 3.0.2, doesn't work with CCcam.
You could try Open Black Hole, 0.4 is the latest version, or one of the numerous other images.
I hope it is only a software problem, and not a hardware problem.

Am I right in assuming that BH 3.0.1 does work with CCcam?
I have reflashed with this image and I must say that it looks the best image I have tried so far.
VTi is good but it gave me such a hard time with channels that has MPEG audio as I could hardly hear it at maximum TV volume while Dolby works great.
The BH doesn't have this problem so this is a big plus for me, Also the whole interface is first class.
The only thing missing is that with Vti I could see the bit rate of each channel like 1920 X 1080 but I can't see how to activate this in BH (if such an option exists)

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
OpenATV gets my vote been using it on several types of receivers and it has not failed me yet, ATV are also pretty much on the ball with updates to major kernels before any other image producer

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Yes, Black Hole 3.0.1F does work with CCcam, I currently have Black Hole 3.0.1F, CCcam, and Oscam y mod, loaded, and both the CCcam, and Oscam, work.

A

Archive7

Found bitrate plugin for BH it works well but I need to press OK twice in order to see the details in the info bar. Not a big deal really.